JW's unwritten dress code and personal appearance standards-FROM WHERE?

by Thechickennest 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• llbh
    llbh

This was a blessing in disguise for me. i had a bad accident years ago and wrecked my elbow thus stopping me wearing a jacket whilst the wound healed. I was stopped from saying prayers beacause of the not wearing a jacket. I told my bs conductor that he was wrong and unkind., resigned from being a ms and planned my fade.

On another note i used to arrange the talks, and whenever possible booked speakers with beards to annoy the local elders, which it did.

When met with the inevitable criticism my response was they are in the organisation too. Childish but fun

Regards David

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    It seems that at one times, brothers were allowed to wear shirts other than white, and jackets did not absolutely have to match pants. I recall seeing many brothers give talks wearing, for example, a courderoy or wool tweed jacket, some nice but non-matching slacks, and a shirt and tie. Sometimes the shirt would be a complimentary color to the pants.

give thanks to the circuis overseers for this rule.

about 5 years ago or so he disclosed this rule at one of our elders/ms/co meetings. "if you go on stage, you must wear a full and matching suit". the rule also said that since you never know when you might go onstage, you might as well dress this way all the time

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There was one hounder that thought I should be perfect, and demanded that I wear a white dress shirt because the majority of men wore white shirts. Never mind that it was not 100%; and one of those who had a burgundy shirt that went with his suit was appointed an assistant hounder. Never mind that I had a light yellow shirt that went with a tan suit, and a white shirt with light blue stripes with a blue suit.

The only thing I say about white shirts is that they go well with just about any color suit, and if worn alone, they are more likely to reflect rather than absorb excessive heat. Aside that, it should be a totally personal matter.

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

Going beyond the things written is a Dub specialty...

brunn

• Terry
    Terry

I was just thinking yesterday how Jesus went out of his way to "stumble" the very people he was exclusively trying to preach to: the Jews.

He spent time with the dregs of society, argued with Priests, Lawyers, teachers. He hung out with prostitutes. He served up the best alcohol at parties. He faced off against his own religion's representative "governing body" and insulted them regularly.

Jesus didn't worry about shaving his beard or growing it, wearing the right robes or headdress or hobnobbing with the la-de-dahs.

Jesus Christ is our model if we claim to be christian.

How can the Governing Body claim brothers should or shouldn't do this or that because of stumbling people? Jesus didn't give much heed to it, did he?

What a disconnect between the model and the reality!

• Poztate
    Poztate

The Elders were all a bunch of control freaks in the congregation I attended as a young man. It the scorching heat of summer you had to wear your suit jacket at all times.

The hall was not air conditioned so we all sat there sweating like little pigs and smelling to high heaven because the "dress code" was enforced. White...naturally was the only colour shirt that could be worn.

When we went out in service in +100 degree weather suit jackets could never be taken off least the wrath of the elders be brought down upon you. I am sure that helped to give a fine witness to all who observed us

Moustaches,longer hair,sideburns....don't even get me started down that road.

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Every picture illustration of Jesus and the apostles shows them with beards. Even when I was a kid, I wondered why the men never tried to look like Jesus. After all, they're supposed to imitate Jesus in every way.

Some men do better with beards. If they have thick hair, constantly shaving often means painful ingrown facial hair which can become infected at the drop of a hat. Not to mention a constant rash.

My father dresses ultra conservatively but will snazz his outfits up. My favorite one is his navy suit, very light blue shirt with tiny yellow stripes, and yellow tie. Or his charcol grey suit that he wears with a white shirt and dark purplish tie. They actually look good. He never takes his jacket off. Ever. Not even in summertime out in field service. I told mom he's going to pass out one day and have a stroke.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I had a similar skin problem... Elder "cant you take meds for that?...Me "doc says maybe... but they may not work..not shaving is the simpliest cure" .... Elder" well, you really need to try the meds" Me..."I dont have any insurance... beards are free"...Elder "if you grow it we wont be able to use you"....Me "OK..your call there, what can I do?..Elder "shave"

I moved a few moths later... arrived in S Florida with a beard... bigger hall. After a few weeks of sideways glances a wiser Older Elder asked me for a cup of coffee. He asked me about the beard and what I had done in my old hall ... as far as duties and such. Of course I "cared" back then. We went in the work next week... I got a few folks to the door and ran out of mags.

Never had a problem at that hall again.

JW figure uniformity equals unity... that is were part of the rules phobia comes from.

Jeff

• shamus100
    shamus100

Ah..... memories... cheap suits....

Like everyone has been saying, in our part of the country it varied from congregation to congregation.

Tomorrow I am picking up my Hugo Boss suit - no more cheap crappy garbage for me.

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

The dress code of salespersons all day everyday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit