JW Refuses to Let Husband have Life-saving Transfusion

by fjtoth 41 Replies latest watchtower medical

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Jehovah’s Witness refuses to let husband have life-saving blood transfusion

By Lucy Cockcroft Last updated: 6:42 AM BST 06/06/2008

The wife of a man who is critically ill in hospital has refused to let doctors give him a life-saving blood transfusion because he is a Jehovah’s Witness.

John Edwards, 57, suffered severe injuries when a motorist suspected of drink-driving knocked him over and medics have warned he could only have days to live if he does not have the transfusion.

But his wife Sheila said he has signed a form banning any blood transfusions in the event of an accident or illness, because their religion forbids it.

It is believed she is rejecting repeated pleas from doctors hoping to change her mind.

The couple's sons, Jonathan, 36 and Tom, 29, do not share their beliefs and it was unclear last night whether they supported their mother's decision.

A family source said: "Sheila is adamant that John must not have blood. She says giving him a transfusion would be like assaulting him, and he wouldn't want to live knowing he had disobeyed his God.

"She is in a terrible state, constantly in tears at his bedside, but won't give in to requests from anyone. Her sons are both with her but her position hasn’t budged."

Jehovah's Witnesses refuse to have blood transfusions because of a passage in Acts 15 of the bible, which states: "Keep abstaining from blood."

Those who accept blood transfusions are cast out of the faith.

Mr Edwards, a council worker, was walking near his home in Southall, west London, on Tuesday evening when the car ploughed into him at around 60mph, leaving him with several broken bones and internal bleeding.

A lodger staying with the family said: "John's condition is very serious. There is a real question over whether he will pull through.

"There's no doubt that non-Jehovah's Witnesses would automatically have a blood transfusion in these circumstances."

The lodger, also a Jehovah's Witness, said the couple were devoted to the religion and are members of the Yeading Brook congregation which meets at the Northolt Kingdom Hall in west London.

She said: "John is a highly respected elder who gives talks to the congregation. He's a really happy outgoing person. It makes this even more of a tragedy."

Story from Telegraph News: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2082690/Jehovahandrsquos-Witness-refuses-to-let-husband-have-life-saving-blood-transfusion.html
  • Vinny
    Vinny

This happens more than people realize, sorry to say. And is why I left the JW's just over two years ago.

Here is a list of reasons why this is the sorriest policy on record anywhere by any faith.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/150613/1.ashx

But yet the poor little JW''s are willing to to sacrifice all their loved ones for this bogus policy anyway.

Just like the above shows.

Have a good one,

Vinny

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

omg - John Edwards is very well known all over London

Very sad - but going to be interesting

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And it's because the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger drills it into people's heads so persistently. They are comparing taking blood to rape. They tell people that they would use their last bit of strength to destroy the blood in the bag and pull the apparatus out of their arms. Which is usually totally irrational.

Using blood should be a cost/benefit situation. Obviously, I do not recommend a blood transfusion for a minor injury. Such would present needless risk of complications, would be a waste of blood, and pose minimal to no benefits. But, in critical situations, blood should most definitely be used and without having to deliberate or negotiate with a bunch of hounders.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Also found this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1024621/Critically-ill-father-faces-death-Jehovahs-Witness-wife-refuses-let-blood-transfusion.html

So, the injured man and his wife were raised jws and have been married for 40 years, yet neither of their sons hold to their beliefs. I wonder if the sons are da'd, df'd or just inactive and what they have to say about the blood issue in this case. I also wonder about the injured guy being an elder of some prominence and also participating in a sailing competition.

Anyway, I hope this poor guy pulls through.

• Satanus
    Satanus

If he dies, i hope that she is charged.

S

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Sheila said he has signed a form banning any blood transfusions

I am assuming she has shown them these papers. It sounded like it was just her claim he had.

How horrible and sad. In tears at his bedside. And his sons, that breaks my heart.

I've been in that bed once. Never again will my family face that.

momz

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

"The couple's sons, Jonathan, 36 and Tom, 29, do not share their beliefs and it was unclear last night whether they supported their mother's decision."

I wonder if the sons will try to fight this?

The logic is so convoluted... A transfusion is like assualt? "Hey, don't assualt me!... just let me die instead."

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

What a tragic senseless loss of a great man this will be...all so he can be mentioned in some upcoming Circuit Assembly part as staying the course blah blah blah...

Another family blown apart by LIES

• Robert7
    Robert7

Even from the Witness point of view... if he were to have a transfusion, imagine how much more preaching, talks, etc he could do versus being dead due to principle. Isn't life more valuable?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit