JW Refuses to Let Husband have Life-saving Transfusion

by fjtoth 41 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Satanus
    Satanus

'Isn't life more valuable?'

Wt (il)logic is that the SYMBOL of life (blood) is more important than real, actual life.

S

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

The life is in the blood, and we have to show respect for life. And we show respect for life by letting people die.

Make sense yet?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

What a tragedy, up to two years ago I still would not have taken blood out of "What if fear" Now my

conscience is clear and my thoughts have sure changed. It would be a terrible situation to face....think of the

guilt after if he dies and she lets him...those thoughts have to enter the picture at some point.

hope4others

• besty
    besty

Would you sacrifice your marriage to save your wedding ring?

Why did Jesus heal on the Sabbath in breach of one of the Ten Commandments?

Why were strict orthodox jews permitted to break kosher dietary laws in emergency to preserve their life?

Because life is sacred.

Stupid deluded people and a toxic parent organisation = bad juju.

• wednesday
    wednesday

When they start making this kind of stuff criminal, ie, charging her with manslaughter, jws will discover "new light". If it is against the law to commit suicide then this is also against the law. This is so sad . Evil persons in Brooklyn taking a scripture from Jewish law and making it the cornerstone of a religion. I have told this to some Jewish persons I know and they are just stunned. Another thing that might get the "light' changed, If insurance companies started to refuse to pay the widow b/c either he or she refused something that could have saved his life.

follow the money train.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Lets not be too condemnatory of this distraught wife

But his wife Sheila said he has signed a form banning any blood transfusions in the event of an accident or illness

Like millions of other dub couples they both carry blood cards, they have discussed it many times. She knows what his decision would be if he were conscious- she is upholding the patients wishes.

Up to ten years ago I would have made the same decision for myself, as would most of us, I carried a blood card too.

Why? was it fear of being d/'d? No

Did we feel forced by other men ? No

We carried the card because we really believed it was right. We really believed that someone that we loved very much would be deeply displeased if we took blood. It would be an act of betrayal of the God we loved, to whom we felt we owed everything.

So, we resolved never to take blood. Thankfully we never had to actually face it in this way.

It is a tragedy...One born out of ignorance of the real facts. Misinformation and stupid blind leadership - but the woman acts out of a noble motive. Sadly, noble motives can sometimes lead to tragic consequences...

He could still pull through of course . I hope so.

• TD
    TD

One thing I've never been able to understand is exactly how and why a trusfusion shows disrespect for the sacredness of blood.

At what point in the procedure does the "Disrespect" occur?

I'm struggling to think of any single step that is not duplicated in other procedures that the JW's allow

Can any of you who actually believed this at one time help me out?

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was taught that if I took blood into my body, it would be showing gross disrespect for Jesus' shed blood and that I didn't care about his sacrifice so I could live forever. My salvation would be cancelled out if I took a blood transfusion.

Now, I say on the one hand you have blood as a symbol of Jesus' blood, on the other hand you have your life, which is more valueable to you, a symbol or your life? Duh!

Jesus shed his blood (so the story goes). It's gone. Your life is still here. It's sacred. (Insert Duh! here).

• White Dove
    White Dove

It would mean that I trusted someone else's blood to save me for a short time and not Jesus' blood to save me forever.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Paul Wade, a spokesman at the religion's London headquarters, said the faith's ban on blood transfusion was based on 'careful study of the Bible'.

He said: 'This man has held his beliefs for many decades and the hospital - to its credit - is respecting his wishes. It is an issue of personal choice.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit