JW Refuses to Let Husband have Life-saving Transfusion

by fjtoth 41 Replies latest watchtower medical

• wednesday
    wednesday

Should we count on Jesus to heal us instead of some of the life saving miracles of modern medicines, including something as common as a hysterectomy or gallbladder removal? That is faith healing. A century ago the need for surgery and no anesthesia or no actual surgery available would have meant your death. Now we have them available. How foolish of us to turn them down and instead count on Jesus life saving blood to save us when a simple surgery can take care of the problem. Have the surgery and pray for God's spirit or Jesus spirit (as you have it) to help you survive and get well.

Really, a person should use common sense and sound judgment. We have medical modalities available now that were now dreamed of when the Bible was written Does that make them wrong?

I know as one of jws nothing anyone could have said would have mattered , I was brainwashed. I'm so glad that I am able to see it for what it is---teachings of men .

Refusing a transfusion when there is any hope that it can help is suicide.

• Balsam
    Balsam

There was a young 22 year old Mother of twins who died back in Oct. 2007 for refusing blood. She could have been saved for sure with transfusions. This JW man could probably be saved too but the JW leadership continue to kill of the rank and file by their wicked blood policy. The sad thing is these people are hurting and probably want to accept blood but out of fear of men they refuse. I've been there done that and it is the most horrible experience a JW can ever live to tell about. My heart goes out to that family. Chances are that family will leave the JW's in the future. The man who needs blood's children are not JW's, so they are likely out but were raised in it.

Very sad,

Ruth

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Once again if they can't fix the internal bleeding immediately....in a un-forseen accident, you will die without blood.....some people had 27 bags of blood....BUT LIVED!

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

His Wife is spouting the usual brainwashed jargon...."It's assualt" "it's Rape".....they are trained so well aren't they? If not, there is always the H.L.C Gastapo Elders to make sure no one cracks.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Ive read about this in today's Sun. It turns out the wife cannot find his blood card, which is why the hospital is in a dilemma, therefore the wife can actually sign for it and the hospital will go ahead. The guys internal organs are damaged, they will not operate without blood.

Paul

• kwr
    kwr

To be fair the husband signed a medical directive refusing blood transfusions and it is not the wifes fault that he is not getting a transfusion. I know I want my medical directives followed no matter how much others would want to force their will upon me.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

KWR thats fine. If that's your view you can die with your medical directive hanging on your toe in the morgue.

What type of Elder doesn't carry a blood card on him.....slack Brother! HE deserves a Transfusion for being slack.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

The Sun London, England
    June 6, 2008

For God's sake By NICK PARKER and JAMES CLENCH

Inset: A declaration to doctors that believers will not accept blood:

This legal directive is an exercise of my right to accept or to refuse medical treatment in accord with my deeply held values and convictions. I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and I make this directive out of obedience to commands in the Bible, such as: "Keep abstaining from blood." (Acts 15.28,29). This is, and has been, my unwavering religious stand.

A MUM sobbed over her Jehovah’s Witness hubby as he fought for life last night — but still refused to let him have a life-saving blood transfusion.

Sheila Edwards insisted that horrifically-injured hubby John, 57, would not want doctors to give him blood because their religious faith bans it.

But her agonising decision has left the family in a nightmare situation.

Their sons Jonathan, 36, and Tom, 29, do NOT share their parents’ beliefs and can only look on helplessly as John lies close to death.

It was unclear last night whether they had begged their mum to change her mind — or had accepted their father’s fate.

Warnings

John suffered massive injuries to his left side when a car driven by a suspected drink-driver hit him near his home in Southall, West London.

Sheila, 61, said council worker John had signed a Witness form banning doctors from giving him blood in the event of an accident, in line with the controversial doctrine of their faith. She has not been able to find the form. But medics have been obliged to act on her instructions because she is John’s next of kin.

And she is resolutely rejecting pleas to allow a transfusion — despite warnings that without intervention he could have just two or three days to live.

A family source said: "Sheila is adamant that John must not have blood. She says giving him a transfusion would be like assaulting him — and he wouldn’t want to live knowing he’d disobeyed his God. She’s in a terrible state, constantly in tears at his bedside, but won’t give in to requests from anyone."

Devoted

"Her sons are both with her but her position hasn’t budged." A woman who identified herself as the Edwards’ lodger and a fellow Jehovah’s Witness told last night of the family’s ordeal. The woman, who refused to give her name, said: "There’s a real question over whether John will pull through. There’s no doubt that non-Jehovah’s Witnesses would automatically have a blood transfusion in the same circumstances. Sheila and the boys are all devastated."

The woman said John was hit just streets away from his three-bedroom semi on Tuesday night. She said: "He was on foot and the car piled into him doing 60 mph as it came around a corner. By chance, the police were on the same road when it took place. They breathalysed the driver and he was over the limit.

"Many of John’s bones were broken and there was a lot of internal bleeding." The lodger went on: "Both John and Sheila are Jehovah’s Witnesses but neither of their sons are. They have been married around 40 years. Both were brought up as Jehovah’s Witnesses. They are very devoted to the religion and he’s a highly-respected elder, who sometimes gives talks to the congregation. John’s also a keen sailor and has just returned from a competition with his brother. He’s a happy, outgoing person. It makes this even more of a tragedy."

John and retired languages teacher Sheila are members of the Yeading Brook congregation, which meets at the Northolt Kingdom Hall in West London. Believers can absolve medics of responsibility by signing forms or carrying cards stating they refuse blood and are aware of the risks.

But doctors still face dilemmas while treating life-or-death situations.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

The Sun London, England
    June 7, 2008

Jehovah dad 'died' in hospital By NICK PARKER

THE horrifically-injured Jehovah’s Witness being denied a life-saving blood transfusion technically died in hospital, it was revealed last night.

John Edwards, 57, had to be resuscitated by medics when his heart stopped after he was mown down at 60 mph by a suspected drunk driver.

But his wife Sheila, who is also a Witness, was last night STILL refusing to allow doctors to give him blood because it is banned by their faith.

The Sun told yesterday how the family is in turmoil, because the couple’s two sons do not share their beliefs.

Sources revealed yesterday that John, of Southall, West London, lost half his blood and may lose his mangled left arm – if he survives at all.

He has internal injuries but surgeons cannot operate because he would need replacement blood.

Sons Jonathan, 36, and Tom, 29, are respecting their mother’s wishes.

They joined her in a heartbreaking vigil at council worker John’s bedside at Ealing Hospital, West London.

Tom told The Sun: “My dad has always made his own decisions. Hopefully he will be able to speak for himself soon.”

Sheila, 61, told medics John signed a form refusing to have a transfusion – but she cannot find it.

A family source said: “It’s torture for Tom and Jonathan to watch their father suffer when blood could save him.”

• flipper
    flipper

How much longer will we have to put up with an organization which allows it's members to needlessly die ? How many more lives will be lost because of stupid, idiotic, and totally insane requirements of their members ? I hope a legal precedent gets set some day with a relative of witnesses winning a lawsuit against the Watchtower society for requiring it's members to observe this insanity and obey it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit