Has Shunning Caused Anyone to Miss Seeing a Parent Before Their Death?

by jamiebowers 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Casper
    Casper

OMG.... those are some of the saddest stories I have ever read....

I have never experienced the pain that has been mentioned, since my entire family have never been witnesses.

I am just speechless at the needless pain that has been caused by a bunch of old men in Brooklyn.

(((((((((((((((((((((((Sincere Hugs to you all))))))))))))))))))))))

Cas

• joanne_
    joanne_

Ohio Cowboy, that is the saddest thing I have ever read. I am so sorry you have gone through all that. Really and truly, why would anyone want to join a religion if they knew things like that could happen in their family. What a "Wittness" that is....I am speechless.

's to you....

Joanne

• Balsam
    Balsam

The unbelievable cruelity of such behavior is just mind boggling. As a witness I would have found such actions unbelievable in other witnesses. I had a woman who was new to the congregation tell me she had an apostate daughter and if she died she had instructed her worldly husband not to tell their daughter. I looked at her like she was insane and told her whatever hatred her daugther has for the organization will only be intensified by doing something so stupid like that to her. I just shook my head and walked off. I knew I could never do that to my kids. Thankfully I left and they left with me.

Ruth

• oompa
    oompa

I would sooooooo like to print this entire thread....and make my elder/dad read it at gunpoint.....with my df'd son at my side that he wont speak to...yeah...................my face just got really really wet...........oompa

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

One of my closest friends was fading a few years ago. He was having some "conversations" with friends and family and everyone knew he had some issues, but still quite in the loop. He was close with his parents (elder dad) although living in the next state over (in the USA). His brother told him that his mom was really sick. He said he'd be there right away. His brother convinced him that mom was going to be ok, no reason to panic, just plan on comming for a visit in the next couple weeks. Well mom died a couple days later. His brother knew this was going to happen, but didn't want my friend to see his mom before she died because he didn't beleive 100% in the JW teachings and didn't want him to upset his mother (he never would).

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

It's sad when this happens however, some JW family members, be it parents or children, are so toxic to have contact with.....the reality is that it is a gift that the relationship has ended to be never restored, even for a short time, when the JW dies. Maybe this is harsh but we all have pretty much moved on in the knowledge that the shunning is not going to end in our lifetimes.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I know that a cousin of mine refused to visit his Dad on his death bed.

I went to see my uncle and we had a ball talking about old times. He was a lovely man and had resigned himself to his eminent demise. He had even written his own funeral talk. Typical of a JW, the talk was just another Sunday sermon.

I still hadn't realised that JW was BS and I didn't bother to catch up with that cousin. He was obviously non-JW. His piercings gave that away, but so did mine.

Several years later I woke up and began to understand why he had shunned his father on his deathbed. It was his father's last chance to try to riddle him with gilt.

For all I know, I may have enough cousins to have an NZ apostafest, but we are all too frightened to mention the topic to each other to organise one.

Cheers
    Chris

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I strongly suspect I've seen my parents for the last time...that was nearly 15yrs+ ago.

I doubt anyone would bother to call, if either die.

lisa

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That is so sad Lisa.

I hope you are wrong.

So far, may family hasn't stooped that low.

I hope they never will, as that is my best chance to catch up with my Apostate cousins.

Cheers
    Chris

• mouthy
    mouthy

I do have a question for anyone who experiences such severe shunning: Have you tried just confronting the relative and saying: "You cannot shun me

About a month ago my daughter that is out of the WT but not d/f called me & said my daughter that is a witness was having lots of trouble.
    Her hubby has cancer, her daughter/not baptised was on cocaine,her other JW daughter had left the "truth" ....
    So I sat & cried & prayed" Lord I have been praying for her for 21 years & you have done nothing about it" & that small still voice in my head said "Well your the one that is free she is bound"So I phoned her....

The phone rang & rang but eventually she picked up. I said
    "I had just heard all about her heartaches,& wanted her to know I am here to help if I can, I hoped her Hubby would heal, I was sorry to hear her daughter was on crack,& that point she started crying, she said "she is not on crack just cocaine,& everyone is blaming me for it," she said"I dont blame my parents for my life,"
    I said "Well you should ,I deprived you of your real Father, your stepfather( who she had thought was her real Father )sexually abused you,& I put you into a life that is wrong for you, & I want you to know I will do anything I can for any of you...
    She told me she wished I never put $100.00 in her bank for her birthday. I explained it was before her birthday, but she said I DONT CELEBRATE them I said "well I know some do either before or after ",she said "I dont" I said "you know I love you dont you. "at that point she said goodbye.

I did send her $500.00 as I heard from my free daughter ( gus gus on here) that she is going with the JWs on a cruise ,which she cashed, no thanks though.
    Then I heard a JW on the conferance call say they were allowed to speak to apostates, So I wrote her & said I had heard this from a JW so I would hope we could talk if I promise not to talk about religion ANY religion & I enclosed another $50.00 ,which she cashed but no contact at all.
    I have a feeling the grandaughter that is not going to the meetings anymore is lurking on this site because I saw her face on face book., I asked to be her friend. She accepted me than told me she thought I was very cruel to hurt her Mothers heart by going on TV & trashing her Mothers Love ( the WT) " she said weather they were right or wrong her Mother loved it, & I only send money to all my family trying to BUY love , she would never ask for any >>>>>

So sorry I am pouring out my heart. But Heather if you are lurking KNOW I love you very much....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit