Has Shunning Caused Anyone to Miss Seeing a Parent Before Their Death?

by jamiebowers 35 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Reading about the passing of Wings' mom got me to thinking. My mother has shunned me completely for the past 20 years with the exception of three conversations about health history. If I outlive my mom, the probability is great that she will die without me ever seeing or talking to her in any kind of meaningful way.

Question: Has anyone experienced their parent/s passing away without any contact for years?

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hi! My Father had died, and my Mother never told me. I found out on the internet 3 years after he had died. I was doing a search on my family name, and an obit came up for my father. It was a very surreal feeling, and literally almost put me in shock. It was the same with my Grandfather. I called my Mother and asked her why she couldn't even tell me about the deaths, and she said that that is how I will probably find out about her too, on the internet. The conversation was very limited, and she hung up. Every time I have tried calling her, she won't speak to me unless I come back to Jehovah. I guess I won't be speaking to her again...

I wish you the best, and hope things don't go that way for you...

• oompa
    oompa

Damn I hate these things...but that nearly ....very nearly made me cry......this is just too awful...too flucked up...........sooooooooo

(((((((((ohiocowboy))))))))))

((((((((((Jamiebowers)))))))

• mouthy
    mouthy

Question: Has anyone experienced their parent/s passing away without any contact for years?

Call Marylin at 1-800- Why -1914 I believe that happened to her .She is an EXJW counsellor.

It will probably happen to me"kicking the bucket"& my daughter will not have spoken to me for a few years....

You new ones also call she a terriffic lady 1-800-Why-1914

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

Thats really really sad... Thats one of the reasons why I don't believe in DAing yourself..why give the WTS the satisfaction

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

This really upsets me. I feel really bad for everyone who had (or will have) to deal with it.

I do have a question for anyone who experiences such severe shunning: Have you tried just confronting the relative and saying: "You cannot shun me"... ?

Don't let them get by with this. Is it possible to wake them up from their WTS induced sleepwalking?

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Now I understand both why the Apostates out side the conventions would have signs with pyramids on then AND crazy eyes. For years, even after I left, I thought these apostate characters were an "even crazier" off shoot of JWs. Nope it turns out that they were sane people screaming the truth into my insane world. I "was affected" by the cult, but I never imagined people experiencing what you guys' have. (((((((((all Ex-JWs less fortunate than poor little ol' me)))))))

• shamus100
    shamus100

How sad.

I don't have any problems with someone going back and fading if it means they will see they're parent. I know of a few instances of people doing that - and immediately going inactive again.

My heart goes out to both of you and all who have had this happen.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

My story is similar to some of the above.

My father died in 1998. I found out 4 years later from a Catholic cousin. She herself had just found out. She had been close to my father, and when he was alive they would speak with each other whenever she phoned the family long distance. Suddenly he stopped coming to the phone. My mother and sister would say he wasn't home. Eventually she got tired of this and asked when he would be home so that they could talk. It was then that my sister felt pressured to tell the truth. Another relative told my cousin that my mom and sister kept the information from her because they felt she might tell me, and they thought I didn't deserve to know.

Frank

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

OMG, ohiocowboy, mouthy & fjtoth: sad beyond words.

I do have a question for anyone who experiences such severe shunning: Have you tried just confronting the relative and saying: "You cannot shun me"...

No, I haven't. Has anyone else? If so, how did it work out?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit