Why I will NEVER be an elder again

by stillajwexelder 138 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Oh this is sweeeeet :) remember too that if you get a VASECTOMY you no longer qualify for MS or Elder either...unless they reversed that crap too. :) When I came in in 84 they were totally against not only higher education but child bearing "in this time of the end"...

I cannot for the life of me see how this banning of higher education is benefitting them in any way. Its not going to stop the flow of young men and women leaving...they will find other routes even though it may be more painful to their parents. They will get married earlier, have kids and move away anyway. They will still be on the internet. They will still associate with other people who have brains left. They will see this as CONTROL and they will do it anyway to defy the Society who in this case is coming off as total idiots.

And well...we already knew that didnt we :)

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I can confirm this was part of the outline. The context was a little more precise, however. In the context the elder and his wife were PROMOTING college education, they were talking about how their child getting a good eduction will mean FINANCIAL SECURITY FOR THEM, and the kid was attending a college AWAY from home. This elder's qualifications would be questioned. The context also featured an example of a child who went to a local college (part-time), the kid still aux-pioneered when they could, was used in the cong., and was planning to reg-pioneer after graduating. In this example the elder's qualifications would be safe. Further to this, and to reply to some comments about the hemorrhaging of elders due to being judged by the actions of their adult children, a couple of years ago the CO visit outline contained scenarios where an elder whose adult daughter was DFd, had fallen pregnant and had moved back into the family home. His qualifications would be looked at. I personally know of more than a few elders who have stood down because they have foreseen the calamity ahead of them. The rules make it virtually impossible for an elder to remain qualified if their kids strays more than a little. And all of this because it might 'stumble' some of the flock. Ah, the stumble excuse.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I should add that the the theme was 'Keep Holding the Pattern of Healthful Words'. The section on education explained that Jesus apostles gave up promising careers and we should consider our motives and goals before embarking, or encouraging our kids to embark, on further education. All in all it was fairly balanced, but at the end of the day it really is no ones' business and some COs/BoEs will take from it whatever suits their agenda.

• minimus
    minimus

The bottom line is that JWs should really not go to college. It's too dangerous. It's a waste of time. It's part of Satan's worldly system HOWEVER, the hypocrite Watchtower Society uses lawyers, doctors and other professionals BECAUSE they are college educated. So if someone wants to be a lawyer, it's a bad thing UNLESS the lawyer is employed by Watchtower. These jerks are soooooo outta touch, it isn't funny. It's sad to see the tightening up from the Organization.

To those that believe the Society's is becoming more mainstream, think again!

• sir82
    sir82
    Jesus apostles gave up promising careers

That's hysterical!

Go on, did he really say that?

"Hey, Peter, if you work hard and keep your nose to the grindstone, by the time you're 40 you can be captain of our 2-man fishing boat!"

And Jesus was up for election as president of the local carpenter's union before he started preaching, right? I'm sure I've read that somewhere....

Idiots.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks, passwordprotected. Your input helps much.

Up until now, my biggest beef was their laying off Bethelites
    after years of faithful service when they could have been earning
    social security or something, kicking them out before they cost
    too much, not caring for their own Bethel "family."

Well, add this to the list. True, they have been doing this for years
    now, but to use such fear tactics. "You must advance in the cong."
    "You must not promote college." "You must set a good example."
    "Screw your kids over or we screw you over."

While I exaggerate a bit, some will see it as simply as that. "If
    Mother sends the C.O. with such a strong message, we don't want
    to experience Father's wrath when he gets home."

They probably won't remove too many elders over this. They will send
    their kids to school and not "promote" it. Any elders reading this, here
    is your "out" though. Feel free to say they went beyond what is written
    in the Bible, cite the EDUCATION WITH A PURPOSE article, particularly
    para. 16, let them kick you out. No shame, no mess. If they don't kick
    you out, just step aside after they examine your qualifications. Say that
    "The body's possible loss of full confidence in me is enough to resign as
    one of the elders. I love my kids and don't want to hold back my approval
    of their further education."

• Edward Elder
    Edward Elder

I was at the Friday evening bullshit supper with the CO and I can confirm the anti-education stance continues.

The theme was 'Maintain the pattern of healthful words when considering secular education'.

Some lowlights to make you smile:

• 'Faith in God's promise to care for us is evident in our view of education'
    • Higher educations leads to financial problems, undue prominence, immorality, and higher potential of leaving the 'Truth'.
    • Focus on congregation activities leads to happiness
    • 'Would an appointed brother continue to qualify if he, his wife, or childern pursued higher education?' i.e. NO
    • Need to faithfully follow Society's guidance

This mind control crapp was followed by a plea for more money, more contributions - give us your 'unrighteous riches'

Looking round the room, the window cleaners, welfare parasites, unemployed no-hopers and bone-idle work avoiders nodded sagely.

I'm working hard from inside to help some loved ones out of this cult, but don't know how much longer anyone can listen to this insanity.

EE

• mavie
    mavie

Edward Elder,

Thank you for your additional insight.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    Higher educations leads to financial problems, undue prominence, immorality, and higher potential of leaving the 'Truth'

I agree with everything but the financial problems. And whats the matter with the rest of the stuff?

I for one, am better off financially and at more risk of leaving the truth since I have gone to college. Oh wait, snap, I already left the "truth" dangit. Damn college. Should never have gone....

A@G

• minimus
    minimus

Ed Elder. I love your perspective!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit