ARE YOU AN INTELLECTUAL? Why not?

by Terry 102 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I think I heard the word "intellectual" for the first time when I was less than ten years old.

My grandmother said to me that the Presidential candidate for the Democratic party (Adalai Stevenson) was an "INTELLECTUAL".

The way she said the word...the timbre of her voice...the look of admiration on her face...led me to believe this was a good thing indeed!

I think I may have asked her what the word meant, but, I don't recall exactly what she told me. Perhaps enough to confirm that this fellow Stevenson was a "thinker" of admirable stature.

Fast forward.

By the time my teen years came along there was a kind of dichotomy in society between so-called "eggheads" and common folk. The eggheads were INTELLECTUALS who were more interested in abstract navel-gazing than having a good time. It was the equivalent of the modern term NERD.

The consensus was that there was something vaguely pathetic about eggheads, nerds and intellectuals because they didn't seem to fit in with NORMAL people who knew how to have fun and have simple, ordinary conversations about ordinary things.

In High School, my straight A status was violated for the first time and the world didn't end! I discovered B's followed by C's and even the occasional F's!! I was free....Free...FREE!!

But, I was still attracted to "knowing things". I memorized the definitions of words. I recited poetry. I read non-fiction books that were "about" something. I read lots of junk---but--it made me feel I was wasting my brain......

The old feelings started to gnaw at me....the urges to learn...learn...learn lurked in the background.

I graduated from High School---the first person in my family to do so! I was liberated from the necessity of cramming my brain with facts and figures!

I was a Jehovah's Witness now, too. Being smart wasn't important at all! Being "active" was more important. Being obedeint and "spiritual" was important.

Soon, I qualified to give hour talks on Sundays before the Watchtower study.

My memory enabled me to wait until the night before the talk to work up the sermon outline and fill in the details!

I would add lib the connective tissue between canned power points. Rave reviews followed my sermons. I was slapped on the back and told I must have spent hours preparing!!

Yet, I knew....I was a closet intellectual!

As a Jehovah's Witness I was the worst form of parasitic individual: THE MIDDLEMAN! I was not an originator of anything new or improved--I merely transmitted things using my smarts--in order to polish the message to a high gleam and make it appear intelligent!

I was the wax on the apple and the food coloring in the junk food being sold door to door!

My thinking capacity was being crippled! Instead of integrating an ever increasing volume of connected information that applied to the Real World---I was cramming in non-facts about the Watchtower's history and how it fulfilled bible prophecy!

I was required to be IRRATIONAL and make it look smart!

In primitive societies there are no Intellectual leaders---there are only Witch Doctors. My only ambition in the Kingdom Hall would have to be learning how to be a Witch Doctor and toss the bones and poke the chicken livers for signs and portents!

A genuine intellectual applies workable philosophical strategies and improves life as a result of what they know. A PSEUDO intellectual parrots slogans, argues irrelevencies and coughs up cliche' responses to memorized situations.

I crippled my intellect and soon became so obedient I allowed myself to go into prison for two years defending an irrational "principle" which made absolutely no sense to me---yet I obeyed! (Refuse to perform community service as an alternative to military service)

I wasted Two years!

I crammed for those two years. I memorized the Society's explanations, beliefs, theologies and arguments, dates, chronologies, dispensational parallels and made it my ambition to be an EXPERT!

Alas!

When I was paroled back into the Kingdom hall----there was no need for my "expertise" at all!

No innovations are allowed. No great ideas are born at local levels, you see. No scholarly investigations can "improve" the FDS pronouncements.

You can parrot and regurgitate with conviction and erudition----but--you are merely a transmission belt and not an engine!

From time to time I met other brothers and sisters who were "bright", informed about the planet and about "real" history. They were remarkable thinkers eager as puppies to please their master!

I saw them come and I saw them go.

The went because they were oddities in an obviously NON-INTELLECTUAL religious atmosphere.

They annoyed the book study conductor. They asked precise and difficult questions. They answered back with "better" facts!

They were trouble and they were made to feel unwelcome.

I, myself, dazzled on purpose to attract attention. I couldn't help it. But, I was not permitted to make myself the center of attention. I was told to "tone it down" and be less of a "running ahead of the organization" type of publisher.

I began to fade....fade....fade.....

Eventually, I was called in (after not attending meetings for six months) and disfellowshipped for some reason they did not come right out and state (as I recall).

We all have similar stories, I'm sure.

There are so many bright, wise, sharp, gifted people here on JWD---the Kingdom Hall doesn't deserve such intellectually stellar members!

So, I ask you: ARE YOU AN INTELLECTUAL or not?

If not, why not?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes.

S

• Open mind
    Open mind

No.

It makes my head hurt.

Maybe someday though.

Having said that, I still feel like a frikkin' genius at the Kingdom Hall.

om

• Switch
    Switch

I have an avid curiousity and want to learn as much as I can. Unfortunately, my mind doesn't cooperate and retain things like I would like. I haven't touched any books on philosophy like you have, Terry so my powers of reason wouldn't be the same. I try to stay well-read though and love to hear out differing viewpoints. I've only had time for this, mind you, in the past 6 mos. since I've drifted from the meetings. But who knows, given time, I may get a few cobwebs out of this brain.

switch

• Carlos_Helms
    Carlos_Helms

Main Entry: in·tel·lec·tu·al
    Pronunciation: \?in-t?-'lek-ch?-w?l, -ch?l, -shw?l, -chü(-?)l\
    Function: adjective
    Date: 14th century

1 a: of or relating to the intellect or its use
    b: developed or chiefly guided by the intellect rather than by emotion or experience : rational
    c: requiring use of the intellect <intellectual games>
    2 a: given to study, reflection, and speculation
    b: engaged in activity requiring the creative use of the intellect.

While it's probably fairly obvious to others, Terry...I don't think I qualify as an "intellectual." There are far greater intellects right here in my own neighborhood...or on JWD. There are people who are more well-spoken, well-versed, and well-qualified to speak on "the deeper things" - and I'm content with that.

I am somewhat of a "thinker," however.

Main Entry: think
    Pronunciation: \'thi?k\
    Function: verb
    Date: before 12th century

intransitive verb
    1a: to exercise the powers of judgment, conception, or inference : reason
    b: to have in the mind or call to mind a thought
    2a: to have the mind engaged in reflection : meditate
    b: to consider the suitability <thought of her for president>
    3: to have a view or opinion <thinks of himself as a poet>
    4: to have concern —usually used with of<a man must think first of his family>
    5: to consider something likely : suspect <may happen sooner than you think>
    — think·er noun

Perhaps it's just of a matter of semantics - or perhaps motive - but it SEEMS that "intellectual" describes the person who thinks in order to be measured (ie: Mensa); whereas "thinkers" are more all-encompassing and holistic. In other words: I can be a thinker without being "an intellectual;" but I can't be "an intellectual" without thinking.

Or...maybe they're the same thing and I'm averse to group categorization.

Carlos

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    No innovations are allowed. No great ideas are born at local levels, you see. No scholarly investigations can "improve" the FDS pronouncements.

i think i am a psuedo intellectual

but only cos i wasnt allowed to be a real one.

for the same reason i am also decent at music sport and anything else i turn my hand to...but dont really excel at anything.

it is a valid point you make..no-one is allowed to excel or even better themselves in the org unless it is beneficial to the org.

how many musicians can they use on kingdom recordings..and yet genuine musicians cannot make jazz arrangements of kingdom songs because of copywrite (ironic in that most songs are written and donated by r & f)...

how many singers are not allowed to sing loud in the kingdom hall because they are drawing attention to themselves.

how many artists are told to work some menial job because the society doesnt need any more artists.

how many inventors must tow the line - and wait till the new order.

how many sportsman could work less hours and miss less meetings and contribute better financially than a shift working mcdonalds worker.

i was watching a documentary recently with my jw parents about the making of a steinway piano..my folks were oohing and aahing about the craftmanship and detail...and the musicianship of the players including the very young ones. it was a sure sign of a loving creator that this music could be produced....and i thought...yet when i was young i was discouraged from pursuing my natural musical ability and interest in order to clean windows.

this is an organization that uses all the abilities and endeavours of humans to prove the existence of a loving god whilst denying its adherents the prospect of ever pursuing them without someone somewhere looking disdainfully at them for doing so.

the irony is that i was willing to deny my creativity for the cause...and so many others are too. i had no problem making that sacrafice and i gladly did a job that i hated to serve a god that i loved. and yet when i needed his help he was nowhere to be found. and accordng to his own words "expectation postponed is making the heart sick". no wonder creative talented inventive intellectual people are leaving in their droves. it has nothing to do with thinking more of themselves than it is necessary, or not even being prepared to wait. it is simply that having waited for so long and had their abilities thwarted stunted or pooh-poohed many of them have simply gotten sick and given up.

surely a loving god can see that...

and yet still he waits.

• Confession
    Confession

I was a deep thinker, but I was also a cooperative Idealist. Although I can recall taking a stand here and there--especially as an elder--that was only when a bit of righteous indignation entered me, and that wasn't too often. I tried my best to confine my creativity to "finding new ways to express something" the Society had already expressed. I would do this in my comments, my talks--even my public prayers.

In my early twenties I was told by two close friends (who were both elders) that I intimidated the elders on the body. This was shared with me, knowing that I probably wasn't aware of it, and indeed I wasn't. I didn't like that feeling. The feeling that others thought I was trying to be something special, something smarter, something better than they were. So this scared me into somewhat greater submission.

"Remember, Jon, "knowledge puffs up."" I was reminded of Paul's words so that I wouldn't get too big for my britches. But what sort of knowledge? Weren't we always quoting Jesus words that "everlasting life" MEANT"taking in knowledge of the only true God and the one whom He sent forth, Jesus Christ?" The fact is the people who ascend, thrive and survive in the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses are those who are excellent with knowledge, if "knowledge" means parroting the words, experiences and presumptuous prophetic parallels of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society. So this is what I did.

Ironically though, it was in attempting to do just that that I myself was disfellowshipped. When asked by my judicial committee why I had so dutifully come forward to confess my infidelity in my marriage, I explained that I thought--even though we'd been separated for four years--my wife had the right to know.

"Wait a minute," said the Pharisee on my committee, with (I'm not kidding) a ramrod straight finger in the air. "Even if you hadn't confessed this to your wife, you still had an obligation to confess it to the elders of your congregation!"

All I had to say was, "You're absolutely right, and, after all, that's what I've done." I'd have been perfectly safe, having shown all due repentance, having followed all the rules. But...something inside me cried out. Something that said, "I should be able to express the "knowledge" I've gained from studying both the Bible and the Society's publications without the fear that my "understanding" would be regarded as heretical. I should be able to speak freely." And so I did.

I replied, "Well, brothers, maybe you can help me then, because I haven't been convinced that I do have that obligation." Good night, and thank you for coming! Nothing I said, no scripture I quoted, no Watchtower Society publication I showed them made any difference. They were not listening, not responding--except with completely irrelevant and zombie-like comments about how, "Now is not the time to be minimizing your sin."

It didn't matter that I had definitely demonstrated repentance for what I'd done. It didn't matter that I was able to show them actual Watchtower publications that well supported my claim that only Jesus' sacrifice was to bring forgiveness of sins and nothing any man did. Nor that the Society itself had a policy of overlooking even serious sins--as long as they'd happened (according to the rule) at least three years previous, which (they said) gave evidence that Jehovah had forgiven them--without the congregation becoming involved. All that mattered is that I expressed something that sounded to at least one of them like "independent thinking."

I can only now imagine the queasiness that this produced in him, his stomach releasing a sort of Theocratic acid, causing him to react in a way that did not correspond to logic nor reason...but with zeal for the organization. And how good this must have made him feel, ferretting out such a harmful influence from among Jehovah's people.

Now I do my own thinking...without hesitation.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    2 a: given to study, reflection, and speculation

That pretty well describes me, so I guess I am an intellectual.

Sylvia

• darth frosty
    darth frosty
    I was not an originator of anything new or improved--I merely transmitted things using my smarts--in order to polish the message to a high gleam and make it appear intelligent!

And I thought I was the only one who got public talks out the day of said talk.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I have my feet in both worlds.

I love to study and do lots of research.

Then I love to go out in the field and get first hand knowledge and experience of that which I studied.

Intellectual tendencies?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit