ARE YOU AN INTELLECTUAL? Why not?

by Terry 102 Replies latest jw friends

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

It's Wednesday. *smile*

Do you have a shop to work on things in?

• bennyk
    bennyk

HS

Greetings!

"Ich will einst bei Ja und Nein!
    Vor dem Zapfen sterben.
    Mit mir soll des Fasses Rest
    in der Gruft verderben.
    Engelschöre weihen dann
    mich zum Nektarerben:
    Diesem Trinker gnade Gott!
    Laß ihn nicht verderben!"

• TMS
    TMS

"It's Wednesday. *smile*

Do you have a shop to work on things in?"

I was terrible in shop class. I helped other kids with English & math in exchange for help on my projects. Oh, thanks for the info. I'll run and put the trash out now.

tms

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

hmmmm, guess I'd call me an "intewitchual"

• John Doe
    John Doe

I prefer to use the term as an adjective, not a noun.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

or, maybe i'm a witchaintella...........oh bother! is it really wednesday????

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

thinking is like drinking..........the more you do it, the less you understand.

• CandleLight
    CandleLight

I am intelligent does that count?

Actually, hope not... for some reason the Label intellectual seems to be kinda cold.

CL

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Interesting how the connotation of "intellectual" can be positive or negative...I fear those that "are ideologically intolerant" and believe they alone can lead society to peace through coercion. I admire the "great thinkers" that can articulate their ideas.

I'm told I'm smart (I also have a high IQ score, and that has been a point of pride at times in my life). More than one spiritual teacher has told me I have the strongest mind they've come across, and this was not a compliment. I have been trained in logic. I have access to a wealth of information stored in memory and very good tools for getting more. I like to think my mind is flexible enough to find validity in another's point of view.

But it's worthless to me without the ability to be emotionally accessible, to engage with others on both emotional and intellectual levels.

Without compassion, the mind can be just another tool for control and dominance. I'd rather have my mind in service to my soul.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I consider myself an idiot-savant!

Except for when I am wallowing in parasitic mediocrity.

Now for your intellectual enjoyment, I will parrot a couple of quotes I've gleaned from more brilliant minds:

Life happens too fast for you to ever think about it. If you could just persuade people of this, but they insist on amassing information.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Any intellectually conceived object is always in the past and therefore unreal. Reality is always the moment of vision before the intellectualization takes place. There is no other reality.
    - Robert Pirsig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit