did you have CO's with speical dietary requirements ??

by karter 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• choosing life
    choosing life

We used to have the CO and his wife stay with us for years. Back then, they were grateful and ate the meals we provided. I always asked what foods they liked as that is just being hospitable. They didn't have any crazy diets though.

Later, as they stayed in trailers and then apartments at the hall, it seemed like a lot of them sent specific requirements for their meals. We decided to just take them to a restaurant and let them choose what to eat themselves. It seemed like most of the gratefulness was missing and we seldom even got a thank you after the meal.

In the end, I absolutely refused to feed them at all.

• confusa
    confusa

Yes, the new CO and his wife in my old congregation only eat organic food. Good luck them! If my congregation is still as cheap as they were 10 years ago when I was there, I doubt they'll get a glass of water.....Organic food is much pricier.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I think a lot of the Circuit Overseer's and their wives had stomach problems because of their jobs. So, give them a break, it's hard when you have ulcers!

One Circuit Overseer, some of you older ones might recognize, was Brother Norman McKinney. He related a story one time about eating at this couple's house one evening and the dog kept nudging his leg at the table. Finally one of the boys said to him, "Brother McKinney, do you know why our dog likes you so much?" It's because you're eating off his plate!"

Outaservice

• oompa
    oompa

I don't care WHAT CO Kevin Wright ate....it came out really sour farts....you could not be in a car with this foul man. How can you eat a Greek salad and fart like like you just ate bloated road kill opossum? If he ate sweet cream and gingerbread.....you got to smell the SBD's as they wafted through the hall.....Kevin, why do thing the rear of the hall was crowded? Who could sit on the front rows wilst you soiled yourself up there???..........geeze......oompa

• toreador
    toreador

Anyone remember a Perry Lenz or a Timothy Bland that was a C.O.? Lenz was a real dink and may still be a C.O. Bland was removed several years ago.

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

*Most* CO's "dietary requirements" were nothing more than personal preferences.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I only remember one CO who was picky - he made sure all the women in the KH knew the recipe for his favorite yogurt pie. I imagine if you are eating at other people's houses all the time, you might start to have dietary demands. It isn't polite, but it might be self-defense. Or maybe just a sense of entitlement.

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

I cannot imagine this being an issue today, but years ago this was something that was commonplace. I can actually remember when I was a kid the local elders actually making an advance announcement from the platform that Bro. and Sister "circuit overseer" could not eat spinach, artichokes, etc. etc....either due to allergies or just simply disliking it.

• TMS
    TMS

Yes, Tom and Barbara M. In the late 60's we had them for lunch after morning field service. My wife was fixing a very simple lunch with ground sirloin patties, a vegetable and bread. Sister M. mentioned that her doctor suggested she either eliminate bread or alcohol from her diet because of her weight problem. Sister M. asked if we had any vodka. No, but we did have a bottle of gin. She dropped some ice into a tumbler and poured at least 4 or 5 ounces of gin. I don't recall if Barbara accompanied us on return visits and Bible studies that afternoon.

I will not mention their last name as these were good people I considered friends. But I do believe that, like many of us, they had a problem with alcohol. A couple of times, their visit was cut short due to "the flue". Barbara usually missed her husband's service talks as she had "heard them all before". She was an earthy sort who occasionally used profanity. Tom was a dynamic man with a missile launcher in his back pocket. His secret weapon was that he had fought at Iwo Jima and some of WWII's bloodiest battles. He was a coiled spring, waiting to unleash on someone who called him a draft dodger, coward or Communist. He would start out calmly, asking in what branch of the military he or she had served, whether they saw combat, etc. It frequently escalated into a Steve Wilkos-like denigration with a demand for an apology. But that's another thread.

tms

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

We hade one if you served him a meal with onions he would not eat it and said to one sister"don't you know i can't eat this!" This sounds exactly like Wally Huston from N.Z. !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit