What Was Lousy About Being A JW For You?

by minimus 37 Replies latest jw friends

• littletree
    littletree

Like some others said, the worst parts for me were (1) not having a choice, or being able to read other religious material or visit other churches with friends, (2) being made to believe that all "worldly" people were "bad association" when I knew darn well that the Witnesses- all humans!- are no different, and (3) going in field service. I hated pushing my beliefs on other people.

• cognac
    cognac

Putting a wall around my heart my whole damn life because something always felt like it was wrong. Just couldn't figure it out. Know it has something to do w/ JWs, but don't really know exactly what...

Maybe it was my Dad who beat us but always managed to be this great father in front of the cong. Having to act perfect when I wasn't and couldn't feel close to anyone cause I knew they would hate me if they knew.

Or, maybe feeling relieved when I was punished in an abusive marriage because now I was paying a price for how bad and I was forgiving him so maybe Jehovah could now love me and forgive me...

Or, maybe the warfare in my family cause I actually did say something I felt that was "contrary" to the borg...

Who the hell knows, could be a lot of things...

• Farkel
    Farkel

minimus,

:What Was Lousy About Being A JW For You?

Isn't that statement redundant?

Farkel

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Being a JW kid was the best fun ever!..Harassed at school for being a JW....Harassed at home for not being a good enough JW.....Never ending meetings..Weekends eaten up by field service and meetings.......I`ll never forget all the good times I had being used as free child labour,for a multi-billion dollar publishing company the WBT$.....Breaking Wall With Head...............Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    What Was Lousy About Being A JW For You?

The fact that Richard Clayderman and Kenny G were mentioned outside of comedy.

HS

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

There were so many lousy things about it, but for me the standout was "never feeling good enough."

I was one of those that bought into it enough to think that the elders, elderettes and little elderlings really were better, more theocratic, and therefore happier.

I mean, if they weren't, they would not be where they were in God's one true organization, would they?

As the son of a divorced woman, I was kind of marginalized in the congregation and was never really in any of the cliques that included these people so I was never really in on the reality that they were no better or happier than I.

The path to be as good as they was plain, but it was beyond my ability to go down it because I had.... Shame of shames....

DOUBTS!

Oh the guilt, shame, and despair knowing that the shining ones would be in the happy-dappy new system wearing polyester slacks and I would be cast out with the weeping and the gnashing!

All because I couldn't help feeling at the core of my being something was 'wrong' and I wasn't as good at avoiding that sore spot in be belief system as well as I imagined they were.

It all seems so amazingly stupid and petty now.

Glad to be rid of it all!

RD

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

Being attached to the collective. No individual ideas or thoughts. Restrictions on everthing from sex to Christmas. Strung out on power elders and their wives.

• The Mulberry Man
    The Mulberry Man

Hi All

I was basically born into the JW's and when I finally left at the age of 18 I had that voice in my head Questioning everything I do. Will Jehovah be happy with you smoking that cigarette etc - I finally learnt to quieten that voice but it has taken a long time. And yes finally being normal with family and friends and doing holiday celebrations, birthdays etc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit