Cycles of Armageddon Hysteria

by Jeremy C 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I had a vague sense it was cyclical. Since I was born-in, my age kept changing how I viewed things. Certainly, I was present during the Cuban Missle Crisis, even when the U.S. ship in the blockage was intercepting the Soviet supply ship. School prepared us for nuclear war. It is too murky for me. There has to be a reason why A. is nearer than ever only during certain times.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I think it's a control thing - get everyone worked up into a terrifying frenzy - "Armageddon is any second now!!"

People can only run on adrenaline for so long before they start to slow down/burn out, notice the prediction never happened.....

When that happens, it's time to start a frenzy of fear and intimidation again.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There is the hype and the excitement. Doesn't the let down and depression cause them more harm than the extra boost?

• Quendi
    Quendi

Another great thread, JeremyC. Thanks.

Quendi

• still thinking
    still thinking

WOW...excellent thread and very thought provoking...makes it seem so clear when you look at it like that.

glad you did the bump palmtree...good work

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Brilliant post.

It really is a case of those who've been in so long have too much lose if they let themselves see what's really going on here, particularly their loss of identity. I see this with my mother-in-law and in friends of my parents. Makes me sad to see them all trapped.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Brilliant post.

It really is a case of those who've been in so long have too much lose if they let themselves see what's really going on here, particularly their loss of identity. I see this with my mother-in-law and in friends of my parents. Makes me sad to see them all trapped.

• wobble
    wobble

It used to be yet another source of annoyance to me, the constant "Put your brown trousers on, the Big A is so close !!!!!!!"

I always viewed the Big A as being only a hiccup in my service to J, like the 70CE events were to Christians then, sure, their " system of things" had ended, but they just carried on being Christians, the "End" held no fear for me, and I rather hoped it was a long way off, so more could be saved, how naive was I ?

The ramping up of hysteria about it certainly seems cyclical, though it was always mentioned, and they seem to be doing it more now, they will be in a fix when 2014 passes of course, any JW with half a sparking brain cell will ask; " 100 years,and two things have happened, not much and bugger-all, what is wrong ?"

• Violia
    Violia

This is a very interesting observation. My hubby were teens/young adults during the 66-75 debacle. It changed the course of our life .

• d
    d

I lived through the fears of the Big A after 9/11

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit