Cycles of Armageddon Hysteria

by Jeremy C 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    There is now considerable evidence that this 30 year cycle will once again repeat itself approaching the year 2034. This is when 120 years will have passed since 1914. Genesis states that 120 years warning was given to Noah prior to the deluge. In Matthew chapter 24 verses 37 – 39, Jesus is recorded as saying that the end of the system of things would be "just as the days of Noah". There is evidence that the 2034 date is gaining traction among various JWs, as it is a date of "great prophetic significance".

Could you elaborate on the evidence? I remember an Awake!(?) article about 3 years ago that mentioned 120 years. That's the last I've heard anything.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hi Jeremy C - I enjoyed that post very much - I think you have found something there.

They certainly do get all hystirical about Armegedon - got to keep the flock in a state of frenzy now and again so that they don't stray.

I wonder though say down the line 2064.....then what? What significance could they start drawing. But then again who knows what the state of the world will be then.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    Could you elaborate on the evidence? I remember an Awake!(?) article about 3 years ago that mentioned 120 years. That's the last I've heard anything.

I should have elaborated on this a little bit more. Raymond Franz has discussed this issue at great length. In the latest edition of Crisis of Consciense, Franz added a section in the appendix regarding this very topic. Franz still corresponds with active JWs, some of them holding prominent postions within various branch offices. He relates in the appendix how many within the German branch, for example are puting much credence into the 2034 date. Many are speculating about the date, but are sharing these views with only a small number of discreet individuals.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Good way to get converts...and scare people back to the hall..."The sky is falling!" However as the bible says: "If the trumpet sounds an indistinct call, who will get ready for battle."

No Armagedon = no fear

No God we are alone = Kind of scary....hmmm Whats stopping a comet ending life as we know it? If Jehovah our Superman is not watching.

• besty
    besty

Bonnie_Clyde

http://www.freeminds.org/history/endin2034.htm

• TD
    TD

Interesting post. I agree that armageddon hysteria definitely seems to come in cycles.

Genesis states that 120 years warning was given to Noah prior to the deluge.

...Not sure why so many Witnesses mistakenly believe this. The enigmatic 120 year comment at Gen 6:3 says nothing about Noah or a deluge.

If you take the Bible's numbers at face value:

A. Noah was exactly 600 years old when the flood came. (Gen 7:11)

B. Noah did not have any children until sometime after his 500th year (Gen 5:32)

C. Noah's children were already grown and married when the warning came to build the ark (Gen 6:18)

...There's no way to fit the 120 years in as an advance warning given to Noah..

JW literature estimates that Noah had 40 to 50 years advance warning of the deluge. (cf. Insight On The Scriptures Volume II p. 507)

• palmtree67
  • clarity
    clarity

JeremyC where are you? ....... fantastic post, just love it and bookmarked it for future use.

A belated thank you ....... very much!

>

clarity

palmtree67 great bump!!

• Terry
    Terry

It is amazing that the vast majority are either unable or unwilling to see this cyclical pattern.

Patterns are never "there". They exist willfully because we seek them and "find" them.

The pattern you detect is the marshalling of an argument to fit ---the way a tailor creates a suit to fit.

Behavior is toward an end result.

JW's cannot achieve the result they seek and are compulsive in rebooting expectations. Is that a "pattern" or a mental health issue?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Excellent thread, Jeremy C!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit