Has any Assembly or Convention been cancelled due to bad weather?

by VM44 19 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

Does anyone know if an Assembly or Convention, particulary ones held in stadiums, had to be cancelled because of bad weather?

• sacolton
    sacolton

What?!! ... and miss seven hours of fear instilling brain-washing cultish food? No way!

• Gopher
    Gopher

It seems to me that a district convention was once cancelled at the Houston Astrodome due to flooding. I could be wrong.

• fokyc
    fokyc

I doubt it!

My wife and children in the 1950's and 60's often came home looking like drowned rats,

Twickenham, Wembley, Thornton Heath, Cardiff, Plymouth and many more venues,

The Org, didn't care as long as they attended.

Today I think child protection might have an interest!

fokyc

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Yes, it does happen. In Chicago one year, they had to cancel half a day of sessions
    when they met at the baseball stadium for the White Sox. They were unable to
    totally make it up, but the session was Friday's sessions. They shortened the
    lunches the next two days and juggled the schedule around to make up most of it.

I was at work that day, it was not my convention. The problem was severe thunderstorms.

In the U.S., almost all of the conventions are in indoor stadiums to avoid this.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I've never experienced an assembly being canceled, but we almost got snowed-in during an assembly in Monroe, NY when I was a kid. That slippery ride home was fun and potentially deadly. Yay!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

We had our assemblies in the summer months, along with the summer rains in durban. There have been times when the rain was coming down so hard, you couldn't hear a damn word the speaker was saying. Smart people put the brollies up.

Since there was no undercover parking we had to walk a way to get to the stadium. This one day, I had gotten all dressed up - by the time my mate and I got to the stadium, we were soaked through - it looked like we had jumped into a swimming pool. So took the gran to her seat & we drove home, got changed into dry clothes, made a hot drink and decided to stay in bed. Lo & _*#$%_#*(@&$_* behold my elder uncle pitches up to takes us back. I went in my pyjarma top, insisted on being driven into the stadium to an undercover area, insisted on my uncles family of providing my lunch and sulked.....my mate was hauled along too.

• Robert7
    Robert7

In Chicago a few years back, the genious brothers decided to use the outdoor White Sox stadium instead of the indoor racetrack. I heard that one day it was SO hot people were passing out. The next day, it was pouring. Of course the people stayed like sheep.

We didn't want to deal with the crap, so we went to the indoor air conditioned arena in Rockford.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Well, I once remember we had an entire day (Saturday) cancelled at our DC.

It was back in the 80's and we were assigned to go down to Philadelphia to that hell-hole called Veterans Stadium.

I guess they didn't realize it when they made the arrangements, but on Saturday there was a Rolling Stones concert scheduled at the adjacent stadium (JFK I think) that shared the same parking lot.

So on Friday, we were told that there would be no Saturday sessions since they didn't want the "worldly" influence of all the people attending the rock concert (now that I think about it, tripping over beer bottles and stepping in vomit in the parking lot would probably have freaked out too many JWs .. lol).

Anyway, they basically squeezed the Saturday stuff into Sunday and we ended up with one less day.

Rub a Dub

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I recall this happening because of snow once or twice where my parents were in the midwest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit