Which would be easier to defend, JWs or Mormons?

by undercover 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• undercover
    undercover

Whenever I ponder on the beliefs and practices of the Mormon church, I wonder how anyone can belief such rubbish. Even when I was an active JW I looked at Mormons as down right kooky, what with their special underwear, the Book of Mormon, the American Indians being Isrealites, the tablets, etc, etc, etc. I was glad as a kid that I wasn't Mormon because at least as a JW we could drink sodas...

Even after I discovered that I was in a f'd up religion and made my way out, I still see Mormons as so out there, that there's no way you can defend their beliefs, yet so many people become or remain Mormons.

When I compare Mormon beliefs with JW beliefs, it seems easier to disprove or discount Mormon beliefs vs JW ones. Is it because I was in the JWs so long that I still have some deprogramming to do or are the JWs just a little more believable since they don't have the history that the Mormons do, what with polygamy and their own "bible" and such?

Is it just my perception or are the Mormon beliefs just that much wackier? Or maybe the JWs are just that much sneakier?

• sacolton
    sacolton

They are both on the same page in my book. "False Prophets"

• minimus
    minimus

No cult is easy to defend.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Digging into the histories of both, when you hit the first lie, that should decide it. The truth is always the truth, it never changes.

CG

• james_woods
    james_woods

I would say the Mormons enjoy a little better mainsteam press than the JWs.

They do have the advantage of that big tabernacle and the choir - trappings that the general public tends to admire. And yes, they do tend to be pretty secretive about the really weird stuff. Mitt Romney even got a half decent run at the presidential nomination, and may still be a V.P. candidate.

This stuff about Warren Jeffs and the young girls is mostly passed off as "splinter groups - not real Mormons".

JW, though, are still JW - which means kooks to almost all the general public.

• lighthouse19something
    lighthouse19something

At least Mormons encourage getting a collage education, wtbs does not

• james_woods
    james_woods

And actually enjoy their members being prominent in business, politics, or the arts (if you can call Donny & Marie the arts).

They still give me the creeps.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Even after I discovered that I was in a f'd up religion and made my way out, I still see Mormons as so out there, that there's no way you can defend their beliefs, yet so many people become or remain Mormons.

DNA proved the natives Americans are not descended from any Israelites.
    Archeology proves the "history" of America according to the Mormons cannot be true.
    In the Book of Mormon, there is The Book of Abraham which Joseph Smith claims to
    have translated from Egyptian papyri. Well, some of the papyri survived and it is
    clear, from those who are able to actually translate today, that Smith was totally
    wrong. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Abraham)

I don't need to discuss magic underwear or baptism for the dead.

I am exactly in tune with what you are saying. JW's doctrine can be explained
    in bizarre ways, but I still don't see it top the bizarre stuff of Mormonism.

Somehow though, Mormons have pretty much mainsteamed and encourage their
    members to acheive financial success. As bizarre as they are, WTS would love to
    do as they have done.

• whoknows
    whoknows

At least JWs can have a Tangueray Martini with two olives (very dry) if they want one.

• Zico
    Zico

Are Mormon beliefs kookier than believing a worldwide flood happened four thousand years ago, or that only one language existed in the world before the Tower of Babel was built in 1700BCE? Do Mormons believe these as well?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit