Cross is a pagan symbol, watchtower is a pagan symbol too

by Noelle 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

Oops

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Thanks for bringing this information to our attention.

One point I thought I would make is that if you quote wikipedia you should really cite it as your source of information. The information however is invaluable and thanks again!

Gary /|\

• Satanus
    Satanus

Good work.

S

• reniaa
    reniaa

I'll have to check my sideboard with a little watchtower on it and candles either side that I worship and the little watchtower shrine at the local KH that i kneel in front of and kiss the little ramparts....

Comparing cross worship to a little symbol on a magazine, is like comparing a blue whale to a single cell organism! why do these latest batch of threads have so little objectivity in them?

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

Erm....why does the WT have so little objectivity ?

• White Dove
    White Dove

WT Wizard,

That is so true, all of it. Here is another thing they worship: penises. If one does not own one, there is no hope of getting anywhere in that religion. You can't do anything without one. They are viewed as the ticket to status and prestege. It's a status symbol. You are looked down on and mistreated and ignored if you don't have one. Might as well use a cross instead of a turret.

• reniaa
    reniaa

Erm....why does the WT have so little objectivity ?

Throwing a totally unrelated strawman argument at me does not change the point in hand, that we have heavily biased threads making comparitive studies that wildly exaggerate the importance of an example to give an eroneous impression.

• White Dove
    White Dove

They are not just found on the WT. I've seen them on lapel cards, books, and a lot of things that Stoop's sells. The turret is just as much a WTS symbol as the cross is to churches.

Yes, it's found in the Bible, but so is Ba'al worship, although in a bad light. They avoid the cross although it is in other Bibles and found in paganism, but they use the WT and turret because it is found in the Bible. It also shows up brightly in paganism. So, my question is WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? They are using it hypocritically hoping no one goes onto the internet and finds out what their true colors are.

They say we aren't to celebrate birthdays because of the pagan origins. Well, guess what, I'll bet you that Watchtower use in paganism predated the Bible. Oh, great. To really settle this, we will need to get into the original languages of which I have no interest to do. The word Watchtower might be translated differently, but if they mean the same thing, then there is one word and one meaning. Pagans had it first (I'll betcha) like everything else and the Christians stole it like they did Yule.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Comparing cross worship to a little symbol on a magazine, is like comparing a blue whale to a single cell organism! why do these latest batch of threads have so little objectivity in them?

Reniaa, I am not being rude but you are a fine one to bang on about objectivity - your posts have always lacked objectivity when it comes to defending and supporting the watchtower stance on issues.

Secondly, this thread is about symbolism and the fact is, the watchtower and the cross are archetypes and symbols widely used in society whether that be Christian or Pagan - the watchtower archetype isnt just a brand motif or as you put it a 'little symbol' its origins and its use reaches back centuries both in the Occult or Christian context.

I dont see any lack of objectivity and it would be appreciated if you could please point them out if you feel different.

Gary

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway
    Throwing a totally unrelated strawman argument at me does not change the point in hand, that we have heavily biased threads making comparitive studies that wildly exaggerate the importance of an example to give an eroneous impression.

LOL. You just love that "Strawman" word, don't you ?The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.

Did I misrepresent your position ? No.Now, it's understandable seeing how a Straw Man is used rather often, and given the fact that they can be difficult to spot at times, that one might feel comfortable yelling out:"That's a Straw Man !!!" at every opportunity, but one needs to be careful in doing so.I mean, I have you read the MSDS on those things ? They can be dangerous !

Now if I had said: "What makes you think everyone here isn't objective ? " Then you'd have a case.So much drama....

What I did was: Answer your question by asking a question.Even Jesus did that, right ? By asking a question , which contains the answer, it causes one to delve more deeply into an issue instead of just giving a simple answer.

You see, it's a matter of perspective.One,an apologsit for instance, might feel these threads (or maybe this entire website) isn't objective.But another, me for instance,might feel that these types of threads are indeed objective.Being objective doesn't mean that legitimate criticism can't be levied against it as well.

Objectivity: expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations.

Were the facts here distorted ? Could it be that the socalled "truth" dispensed by the Society is what's really DISTORTED ? But to a person who doesn't want to hear or handle such truth, it can come across at "nitpicky" and "petty".In reality, however, these issues have great bearing on the history of the Org and shed further light on it's questionable practices and outright hypocrisy.

Interstingly though, you did create your own Straw Man by misrepresenting or distorting how others view your practices when you said:

I'll have to check my sideboard with a little watchtower on it and candles either side that I worship and the little watchtower shrine at the local KH that i kneel in front of and kiss the little ramparts....

I didn't see anybody accuse you of that.Such a statement appeals to the emotions and creates drama.How objective is that ?

People here have been deeply hurt by the Society.People we care about are being hurt by the Society.More people will be hurt(or killed) by their deceptive ways.People are going to complain about that, and rightly so.Get used to it !

What is the person that defends the reprehensible ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit