Do JWs really believe the end is near?

by keyser soze 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yknot
    yknot

......many are losing there sense of urgency

• alexb123
    alexb123

The God who cried Wolf, "Its the end I tell you, no its not, yes it is, no its not, yes it is".

• jgnat
    jgnat

My hubby is one of those Witness innocents that seriously believes it won't be long. He has no plan. He watches the news with eager anticipation. Every change of weather is a sign. If it weren't for me, his retirement would be a miserable affair.

But maybe deep down he knows that.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    My hubby is one of those Witness innocents that seriously believes it won't be long

jnat - how does he feel about you being destroyed in the big A, does he think you will be saved because of him? I'm just asking because I have a niece in law that is married to a non jw. She is a super jdub and although she thinks the big a is just around the corner , she is very depressed because she'll have to life here on earth without her hubby Her kids are always preaching to him and asking him to please become a jdub. It's really sad to watch.

nj

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

In my opinion, many do not. Most that I know are buying their own home, paying into a pension etc.

I frequently hear older JW's say "Of course, I wasn't going to go to school in this system " as though to caution the younger ones to take it all with a pinch of salt.

20 years ago it seemed that most people leaving school had at least a crack at pioneering but now thankfully most younger ones seem to be persuing an education.

Mickey.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

2008= The gas shortage, earthquakes in China and then Burma......these are the latest signs it's sooooooo close you can feel it.....again...for REAL this time!

• sacolton
    sacolton

alt

"I don't know what to believe anymore!!!"

• jgnat
    jgnat
    jnat - how does he feel about you being destroyed in the big A .... a niece in law that is married to a non jw. She ... is very depressed because she'll have to life here on earth without her hubby

I get angry if he brings it up. Who is he to judge where my final destination will be? Is it not up to Jehovah? I also speak often of the beautiful hut we will have with a banana tree out the front door and a little white dog (two of his favorite things). I make paradise more real than the most skillful drama. I speak as if I am there. He looks at me like I'm insane and drops it. He humors me.

Maybe he plans on picking up a spare sister if I don't make it.

• Switch
    Switch

In the 80's, I knew plenty of sisters that didn't marry, didn't buy houses, didn't have children. But I don't see it hardly at all in the area that I am now. Does anyone know of ones that are putting their lives on hold for the new system? I don't think you'd find many. My mom reminded me last week that "I better make sure I'm on the Ark because the new system is so close. It could be tomorrow or in 50 years, but it's sooo close." It sounded so desperate and pathetic when she said it that I still am not sure what I made of her tone. Maybe it was just because she's upset at my own attitude and inactivity or maybe she has her own worries and doubts. Don't know. I wasn't supposed to grow old and die and I'm sure all the ones raised/born in have that in the backs of their minds. Once they made the change from the 1914 generation, I sort of got sick of hearing the last days rubbish.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When I first went in, I believed that the end was imminent. And so did most others. However, after about 2 or 3 years, I began to realize that the end could be quite some time out. And ultimately, I realized that the end could mathematically be close, and getting closer, and still not ever come. My high school algebra came into play at that time, as I realized lots of functions become close to a given value and forever get closer without ever reaching that value.

However, the other witlesses seem to think it can't be that far ahead. Very few ever realize that it could be close, getting closer, and still never make it. And they refuse to think independently of the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger that is telling them that it is going to take them off guard. And so they keep on going, as if the end was just ahead.

Obviously, they don't give a fxxx with people's lives, since they have next to zero ambition to reach certain people. That means they are hoping for them all to die. Of course, all I hope for is that the Washtowel Slaveholdery itself goes down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit