Do JWs really believe the end is near?

by keyser soze 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

If jws really believed the end was near, wouldn't they be imitating the Christians in 66 CE? Wouldn't they be selling their homes and other property and making a final push to reach everyone with a warning? Instead what are they doing?

* w06 12/15 pp. 17-18 par. 13 "The Great Day of Jehovah Is Near" ***It was imperative that first-century Christians keep their sense of urgency. They needed to take immediate action to flee Jerusalem when they saw that city "surrounded by encamped armies." (Luke 21:20, 21) That happened in the year 66 C.E. Notice how Jesus highlighted the need for urgency on the part of Christians back then: "Let the man on the housetop not come down to take the goods out of his house; and let the man in the field not return to the house to pick up his outer garment." (Matthew 24:17, 18)

*** w83 2/15 p. 20 par. 18 As World Calamity Nears—‘Consider Jesus’ ***You can imagine the decisions and problems that the Hebrew Christians faced in the patriotic environment of Jerusalem as they prepared to flee, leaving their homes, relatives and employment.

• oompa
    oompa

I wish we could get an honest survey on this one. It seems many would have to know the jig is up. But I just had a long discussion about this with an old dub friend......and of course he believes it and said, "well, were closer today than we were yesterday"............arrrrgggghhhh.....oompa

• oompa
    oompa

Why would any dubs think the end is near?? The 97 WT is my fave....the only double very claim ever!!!!.......oompa

w8811/15p.5TheNewWorld—ParadiseRegained!***

Other Bible prophecies also indicate that the regaining or restoration of Paradise is very near, that a new world is on the horizon.

w971/1p.11par.18LetAllGlorifyJehovah!***

Both the increasing light on Bible prophecy and the anarchy of this dying world cry out that the end of Satan’s system is very, very near!

• justhuman
    justhuman

The old ones do believe that...I'm sure about it, but the young ones no way. They are only part of a club called WT

• bobld
    bobld

Yes,because they believe everything that the GB/FBS tells them, It's God speaking.You can never change the mind of a brain washed person,unless you de-programme them.

My take, why worry about some triful thing that wastes brain power.

B

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I put the hard word on my Missus.

"Well come on then, how long is it going to be???.... Five years???.... ten years???....fifteen years???...

Her.... "nobody knows the day or the hour!!!!"

If I push it, I will stuff up my marriage. I love her.

Cheers

Chris

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

I realized that the end could mathematically be close, and getting closer, and still not ever come

i like that thought: "the everlasting last days".

• whitman
    whitman

Hello all. I am new here. In fact I've never posted on any site before so please excuse me if I am uncertain of the appropriate etiquette.

I left the church about fifteen years ago. I have recently been contacted online by several witnesses I had grown up with. Some have left the church, others disfellowshipped, and others are inactive. I am surprised by how much has changed culturally within the church since I had been involved. It seems much more relaxed and even more liberal to some exten, certainly amongst the thirty something types who have grown up as witnesses.

However what has remained consistent throughout the various stories I have heard is that this system of things is drawing to a close. My mother recently raised this issue with me. She told me that one of the primary strands of current witness thinking is that there remains only one last prophecy to be fulfilled before Armageddon hits. The prophecy is that the government will turn upon the witnesses. So there seems to be some anticipation having been advised that there is just one thing left to be fulfilled. Of course, this progression toward the end of this system has been very carefully constructed by the organising body behind the institution. I recall when I was young that the governing body would make a directive for all witness literature to be available without cost when armageddon was literally at the door. I understand that they have already implimented this directive which of course would build up the anticipation of those who have been waiting decades for some sure sign. I have also become aware that witnesses have been advised to prepare some type of emergency kit which is readily available if things start to become chaotic. The kit is to contain water, gas masks, salt tablets, identification, the blood directive etc. This directive seems to have been created to work in two ways. Firstly, by being given very specific and practical advise on preperation for armageddon, the anticipation will of course continue to grow. Secondly, any witnesses who were beginning to doubt the immediacy of armageddon would of course by pursuaded that it was imminent and therefore will not leave the church at this time. Over the years since I left the church I have noticed this pattern of increasing suspense along with ensuring that membership remain constant. It seems a well employed tactic. The organisation knows exactly what they are doing.

Cheers.

surely another way in which the organisation is able to not only increase the anticipation of some action, but also ensures that any witness who was beginning to doubt how close the end is

• jgnat
    jgnat
    I put the hard word on my Missus."Well come on then, how long is it going to be???.... Five years???.... ten years???....fifteen years???...
    Her.... "nobody knows the day or the hour!!!!" If I push it, I will stuff up my marriage. I love her.

Here's something to try that works well with me and my hubby. I tell him, "Honey, why don't you take care of the day to day, and I'll take care of our future? (indulgent smile)".

That way we've got it covered. And frankly, I do need a lot of help remembering to put on my raincoat when it rains, pocket my keys, put my dishes in the sink, and other routine daily events.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Welcome to the board, whitman. I agree that the society sends out steady messages in an attempt to keep the anticipation up.

She told me that one of the primary strands of current witness thinking is that there remains only one last prophecy to be fulfilled before Armageddon hits. The prophecy is that the government will turn upon the witnesses.

Perhaps remind her that the government has to wipe out "false religion" first. Has that happened? Are we even close? The United Nations continues to be a constant defender of personal rights, including the right to worship as we please.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit