How do you handle ... being shunned?

by Awakened at Gilead 58 Replies latest jw experiences

• IT Support
    IT Support

Great thread, thanks, A@G.

The most hurtful shunning is from those in my family I still care about. I won't pretend it's not painful.

The way I handle it, as others have mentioned, is by turning it around and freely talking about it -- after all, I've done nothing to be ashamed of.

Most people have tended to think of JWs as harmless eccentics, but are shocked and find it almost unbelievable that they can be so cruel and heartless. When they then hear about child abuse, blood, etc, they begin to understand why JWs are such a dangerous cult. I strongly believe it's the most powerful anti-witness we can give.

Ironically, of all my old JW 'friends,' those in Brooklyn are among the ones who still keep in touch most regularly ...

• penny2
    penny2
    And I just wish i had birthday parties. Still never had one.

Happy birthday, mary stewart! Hope you find some way to celebrate today even if you're not having a party!! And welcome to JWD!!

I had a strange experience recently. I'm not dfd but had the opportunity to speak to someone who was. It seemed like he was so used to being shunned that he didn't know how to react with me talking to him. He seemed quite uncomfortable (he would know that I haven't been to meetings for years). I heard he was reinstated a short time later so I guess he is happy now.

• str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up
    str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up

Well

I am about two months shy of my first year since I disassociated. I have to say, I believe disassociating as opposed to being disfellowshipped must empower you slightly, because I've not had the guilt trip many disfellowshipped seem to experience (correct me if you think I am deluded, thats just a perception of mine, and could be faulty). So, having disassociated, I have found some on the inside have contacted me, and I have instructed several through 'the fade' (at their request, I have no interest in actively converting people out of the 'dubs'). As to the others, I felt awkward in my first week out, unsure about whether i was comfortable with how they would treat me, but now, I see no reason for me to abide by their rules. I will address people if I see them, and how they respond is their issue.

Having said all that, I have NO contact with my family, and that is their choice. It is painful, and i send them updates on where I am at, but get nothing in return.

So I guess, what I am trying to say, is that you will face different attitudes from different people, and you will adjust with time. But remember, the 'shunning' is their 'law', not yours. You don't have to abide by it at all. Thats the beauty of being out.

• HSS1971
    HSS1971

The brother I studied with comes into my place of employment. I'm not really sure if he knows I work there. I'm not really sure if he is still a jw or not. I find it too aukward to approch him so I just hide in the back. When I do this I feel wierd because I thought I have recovered more than that. On the other hand, if I see jws I know out on the street I'll smile and look straight ahead and not feel wierd.

I have to keep telling myself that they are just like me, except they are just alot more f'd up in the head than I am. I prefer to think of them as mentally diseased or mentally handicapped. Which is not so far from what the situation actually is.

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

i was dfd and started to go through the reinstatement process.it is amazing how talented they are at making you feel invisible.i went to the mens room and was alone in there with an elder.he almost went on himself in order to avoid me.so i proceeded to urinate in the sink .he said -what the h are you doing?i said -what do i have to do to get someones attention around here?

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Jahsheep: That was funny!!!!! You got his attention?

I hope you're still not going through the reinstatement process... It's much better to be free... Unless you're going to get back in and then fade so your family can talk to you?

A@G (of the I don't pee in the sink unless its absolutely necessary class)

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

i stopped after another month.i asked myself -was this for god or for man?i come to the conclusion that gods spirit is not with them-so i left and the elders have not even inquired of me.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Shunning was very painful for me, especially since my mom had died only two weeks before. And I went to her funeral, of course, still "in". My kids knew I was on my way out and they shunned me even though I was not officially df'd yet. I did not even get a sympathy card from them. That hurt a lot.

I remember after being df'd and before I moved away, I ran into another disfellowshipped woman in the mall. This df'd woman was afraid of me, since she was trying for many years to be reinstated, but the elders resisted letting her back in. I spoke to her first, I just said hi. The df'd woman looked around, hoping nobody would see us together. Then she said, "We better not be seen together. You know I'm trying to get back." And she walked away with her tail between her legs.

As the first shunnings happened, it was deeply painful for me. Then I began to realize I was taking things personally. I don't have to take the shunning personally, as the shunners are only following fear-based rules. They are not responding to what is truly in their hearts. If they responded to what was in their hearts, they would be unable to shun, since shunning goes against human nature---it's abusive. We are all human and no one is better than someone else.

Now I view shunning as "speechlessness". The dubs are speechless because I had the nerve to leave the borg, in spite of being born and raised into it, brainwashed to the gills. It took some nerve for me to leave and recover from the religious indoctrination.

I have since moved far away, and I believe that has helped me a lot to move on with a much healthier balanced life.

Glad you are here. I will not be shunning you.

Hugs,

ESTEE

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Thanks ESTEE,

Confrontations are tough... I haven't really had any yet... just non-response to email and awkward voices when my wife's friends call and I answer the phone... I see JWs (who I don't know) doing streetwork but I just feel bad for them, although sometimes I get a smirk on my face as I realize how mindless it is. I saw one guy who took a brochure from them... he walked away, and when he was out of their site, he thumbed through it and tossed it. I thought to myself, the ZJW that placed that will write the placement down, very proudly, and will think they have saved a life. The only life saved was the guy's when he threw away the brochure and must have realized its a bunch of cooked up gobbledygook.

Although I did call up a DF person (I mentioned this earlier in my thread), and he didn't want to talk to me.... I guess he's on his way back in and can't risk bad association with a sinner like myself, lol.

His loss.... not mine.

A@G

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit