Intelligent People on this Forum

by BenV 47 Replies latest jw friends

• BenV
    BenV

Someone had a thread about "smart people" in their congregations. While I readily admit there were some "good," and "kind" JWs in the congregation I grew up in. And maybe it was the location -- my dad was asked to move there -- but for the most part it was an intellectual Sahara.

Yet I've noticed that on this forum there are some incredibly "smart" people. I apologize that I can't remember all of the names, but I really appreciate the comments and rational discussions. Thank you. (OK, there are some individuals that I've learned to avoid! Ouch!) But because of certain posts, I've ordered books, and been directed to fantastic sites, and on and on.

One person I really admire is Narkissos. OK, I'm like in awe of this guy's library of knowledge. I barely speak one language -- and he's able to translate -- who knows how many. He has helped me out a lot -- not only in his posts, but with his autobiographical profile, and personal messages. Thanks, Narkissos.

I've been wondering if there have been people, ideas, new ways of looking at things that you've found on this forum that have helped you in your journey?

Benjamin

• str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up
    str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up

Not that I've been coming to the forum long, but I have found the feeling of acceptance quite overwhelming.(From the majority).

For me personally, doing some reading of human philosophers has been quite helpful. JWs leave you with a legacy of inadequacy, so I've found reading up on the existentialists and their view of humanity has been good. They explain how sin, as a social construct, is quite devastating - and that we should simply take responsibility for our own actions, rather than allow people to decide wrong/right. It makes for interesting reading - whether you actually subscribe to the whole existentialism ideals or not (which I don't personally, i just find some of it thought provoking). (some of the existentialists - Foucault, Kierkegaard, Sartre, De Beauvoir)

Anyhoo - thats my feelings on the matter.

Much Love

Rob

• BenV
    BenV

Oh, Rob ....

You're doubly blessed! Smart and gay!

OK, Make that a triple -- 3) you're no longer a JW!

Benjamin

[Edited to add:]... and oh, yeah, number four (how could I forget) --- goooood lookin' too!

• str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up
    str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up

Um.....you left out pretty

I'm also pretty.

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

Lets not hijack this theme....the subject isn't about Gay or not Gay, its about Intelligent people on this forum.

What i would like to say is that most people here just woffle, like I do too, but when it comes to the deep points and explantion of scriptures, and history of the WTS, I have seen some of the most intelligent and well researched people I have ever had the privelege of knowing.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Lets not hijack this theme....

Is this possible? I mean to hijack your own thread?

Jeff

• Mary
    Mary
    One person I really admire is Narkissos. OK, I'm like in awe of this guy's library of knowledge.

Yep.....Narkissos is most definately one of the smartest posters here. Since you haven't been on the board for very long Ben, I'm not sure if you are familiar with another Einstein we have on here: Leolaia, although she's taking a 'sabbatical' right now. She did a wonderful disection of one of the recent Watchtower study articles that you might enjoy:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/156634/1.ashx

• dinah
    dinah

I think Ninja is intelligent. He has a quick wit. And makes me spew my beverage of choice almost everyday!

• BenV
    BenV

Wow! Excellent.

Mary, thanks for the link. I will definitely note Leolaia as a poster to look out for.

How did these people survive in an organization that prohibits "independent thinking"? Amazing.

Ben

Hey Dinah, humor and intelligence is a great combination. I'll keep my eyes open for Ninja.

Thanks

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think many people just starved in the intellectual void of the WTS despite the claims to being fed a banquet.

When I left I read, and read, and read, went back to school and graduated with honors - a real shocker to me especially since I believed my parents when they told me I was a dummy.

Information is power. As long as the WTS controlled the information they had all the power. But when we leave we are free to really learn, to use our experiences to help others and free to express all those forbidden things

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit