Even old people need to be put in their place!

by LouBelle 74 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

The flaw in your logic John Doe, is "special pleading". You argue for political correctness towards elderly people when you say they deserve respect just for being elderly, but apparently "fat people" do not deserve the same respect and consideration merely for being human beings with feelings. Perhaps that fat woman had adrenal disease or thyroid disease or was going through steroid treatment or cancer treatment, all of which can make a person fat. Do you not think those may have been just as painful life processes for her as aging is for the old lady? Why is one deserving of respect and compassion but not the other? What person is being bashed on this thread who has no voice?

• brinjen
    brinjen

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is quite common, that can also cause substantial weight gain even if you're eating a healthy diet. Getting a doctor to diagnose it can be very difficult too, speaking from experience here and from what I've since read my story is pretty much the norm.

The point is, that woman doesn't know why the person she was taunting is overweight. What's the point in it in the first place? Taunting is usually done to belittle the person.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    What person is being bashed on this thread who has no voice?

You can answer this yourself by answering two basic questions. Whom is being bashed? Who has no voice?

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Taunting is usually done to belittle the person.

I read the post that the old lady was joking with her friends, not making direct comments to the stranger. That distinction may or may not be important.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Since no names were used, no particular person is being bashed. It is the disrespectful behaviour of an anonymous person which is being bashed, not the person themself.

It seems to be me the anonymous old lady has a voice and that voice was what got her into trouble in the first place! If she is free to speak her mind, then we are all free to speak ours and call her to accountability for her words!

Special pleading again, John!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    I read the post that the old lady was joking with her friends, not making direct comments to the stranger. That distinction may or may not be important.

I vote for not important. She made the comments loudly enough for the fat lady to hear and for other strangers (Lou Belle) to hear.

• John Doe
    John Doe

"Special pleading again, John!"

There's a huge difference between speaking your mind to someone's face and speaking it behind their back. Would you not agree?

If I take a one sentence quote from you and tell a bunch of people about it, berating you and making fun of you, would you feel you had a voice in that discussion?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    There's a huge difference between speaking your mind to someone's face and speaking it behind their back. Would you not agree?

If I take a one sentence quote from you and tell a bunch of people about it, berating you and making fun of you, would you feel you had a voice in that discussion?

Nice try John. Nothing like diversionary tactics to try and win an argument. Not taking the bait.

As you would have it, the poor victim in this story is not the fat woman who was publicly mocked in her own hearing and that of strangers, but the elderly perpertrator of said nastiness who is being anonymously discussed on a forum of which she has no knowledge. She won't feel anything about it because she doesn't know about it. If she did, she would be free to post here and defend herself just like everyone else, so yes, she could have a voice in it if she wanted to.

Tell me, do you ever get tired of continuing to hopelessly defend positions when you don't have a leg to stand on?

• John Doe
    John Doe
    As you would have it, the poor victim in this story is not the fat woman who was publicly mocked in her own hearing and that of strangers, but the elderly perpertrator of said nastiness who is being anonymously discussed on a forum of which she has no knowledge. She won't feel anything about it because she doesn't know about it. If she did, she would be free to post here and defend herself just like everyone else, so yes, she could have a voice in it if she wanted to.

I haven't said the woman is a victim. I don't, however, feel comfortable with people jumping to conclusions when only hearing one side of a story. I've never said the woman doesn't have the option to have a voice if she knew of this discussion. That is a textbook definition of a diversionary tactic or a "strawman".

Any time a person is being discussed without their knowledge or presence, they do not have a voice. I see a lot of anger in this thread diverted to this anonymous little old lady. You point out that perhaps the fatty had a medical problem. Well, that goes two ways. Perhaps the little old lady had Tourettes or some mental condition. Perhaps she did not mean the comments about weight to be an insult. After all, you said that being fat is nothing to be ashamed of. If that's so, why should a comment about being fat be seen as an insult? The truth is there is a lot of judging going on here and a very small amount of information that is only coming from one side.

Do you ever grow tired of arguing positions you for which you lack an appendage to use?

• boyzone
    boyzone

John Doe

Two words jumped out at me as I read your last post. They were; "little old lady" and "the fatty".

I think your choice of words in describing these two people say more about you and your own prejudices than anything else you've written.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit