Even old people need to be put in their place!

by LouBelle 74 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Have you ever heard of the concept of "respect for elders?" Ask yourself this. Should a person be upset because someone calls them fat, or because they are fat?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Have you ever heard of the concept of "respect for elders?" Ask yourself this. Should a person be upset because someone calls them fat, or because they are fat?

Neither. Being fat is nothing to be upset about.

Ask yourself this. What is the intent of mocking another person for any reason? Is it to help that person? Did the fat person not realize she was fat and did she need someone else to point that out to her? To mock and ridicule another person in public for any reason, only has one intent. To demean that other person.

Is it disrespectful to step in and call someone on such behaviour regardless of their age? I don't see any disrespect in that. The only disrespect committed in this instance was by the older person mocking another person in public.

Yes, I have heard of the concept of "respect for elders". It is a concept, not some sort of absolute truth. I have known elderly people who are pedophiles, murderers, racists, bigots, and bullies. Should I respect them just because they are old? Respect is earned not demanded and not a "right" of old age.

An elderly person who has shown themselves to mature in wisdom, kindness and graciousness has all of my respect.

Cog

• John Doe
    John Doe

I take it you're comparing taking a low blow at someone about their weight to being a pedophile, murderer, rapist, bigot, or bully?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    I take it you're comparing taking a low blow at someone about their weight to being a pedophile, murderer, rapist, bigot, or bully?

Hardly, I wouldn't be so silly. I thought it was clear I was pointing out behaviours that do not deserve respect regardless of the age of the person exhibiting them. Since you seemed to have trouble grasping that concept with a mild example such as the mean-spirited mocking of others in public, I used a few more extreme examples in the hopes that it would become more clear to you.

Also, since you concede it was a "low blow" do you think that someone who takes low blows at passers by just minding their own business, deserve respect? Actually, I partially rescind my former statement. It is not silly to compare them to a bigot or a bully. There is bigotry against fat people and making fun of people based on physical defects is definitely verbal bullying.
  • John Doe
    John Doe
    Also, since you concede it was a "low blow" do you think that someone who takes low blows at passers by just minding their own business, deserve respect?

Yes I do.

We have become a politically correct society in which people are afraid to speak their minds and use euphemisms that render language devoid of substance and value. People are too easily offendend and need to grow a bit of a backbone. Many old people have extensive life experience and practical knowledge, and furthermore many are going through a painful process of aging. People naturally lose their political correctness as they age. As such, they should be given much more leeway and respect.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Respect must be earned, and acting like an asshole isn't the way to get any. If a person is old, and has more life experience I expect them to know better than someone younger with less experience. An old asshole will get less respect from me than a young one.

Any person, young or old, who makes a derogotory remark to me about my weight should expect to get an earfull. I won't let anyone treat me like shit and get away with it just because of their age.

W

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Any person, young or old, who makes a derogotory remark to me about my weight should expect to get an earfull. I won't let anyone treat me like shit and get away with it just because of their age.

Agreed. Lou, you did the right thing.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    Also, since you concede it was a "low blow" do you think that someone who takes low blows at passers by just minding their own business, deserve respect?

Yes I do.

We have become a politically correct society in which people are afraid to speak their minds and use euphemisms that render language devoid of substance and value. People are too easily offendend and need to grow a bit of a backbone. Many old people have extensive life experience and practical knowledge, and furthermore many are going through a painful process of aging. People naturally lose their political correctness as they age. As such, they should be given much more leeway and respect.

Well, then if you do think it is fine to speak your mind at strangers and there is no need to be politically correct, then Lou Belle telling the old lady exactly what she thought of her nastiness was perfectly acceptable behaviour. The old lady got the exact amount of respect that she deserved and no doubt expected based upon her own example of what she considers respectful and politically correct behaviour towards others in public. She shouldn't have been offended in the least at Lou Belle's comments.

Karma's a bitch, ain't it?
  • John Doe
    John Doe
    Well, then if you do think it is fine to speak your mind at strangers and there is no need to be politically correct, then Lou Belle telling the old lady exactly what she thought of her nastiness was perfectly acceptable behaviour. The old lady got the exact amount of respect that she deserved and no doubt expected based upon her own example of what she considers respectful and politically correct behaviour towards others in public. She shouldn't have been offended in the least at Lou Belle's comments.

Yep. And people should not get offended when I point out their lack of respect. And I really doubt the old woman was offended. Most older folks have too many concerns to get their panties in a bunch over what a self righteous stranger thinks.

Does it not bother anyone else that a person is being bashed on this thread who has no voice in this conversation?

• brinjen
    brinjen
    Respect must be earned, and acting like an asshole isn't the way to get any. If a person is old, and has more life experience I expect them to know better than someone younger with less experience. An old asshole will get less respect from me than a young one.

Agreed. I used to hear it all the time about my grandmother. She's older than me, she has more life experience, she deserves your respect. Uh, no she didn't. I don't care how old someone is, no one has the right to belittle another in a public place. What about the woman she was belittling?

If someone is an a**hole all their life, that's not going to suddenly change when they reach a certain age.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit