???Do you spank your kids???

by Princess Daisy Boo 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

There are times that it feels like we have exauhsted every other source of punishment for our son. When that happens he will get a swat on the rear but it makes me feel like I have failed when it goes that far.

Though as yet the best punishment that we have found is to tell him that he will have to sleep in his own room. A couple of weeks ago he was behaving really badly and kept telling me he hates me. That really really hurts to have your five year old say something that ugly. So, I sat him down and told him that the next time he said that he would be sleeping in his own room. Well, the next evening on the way to bed I was gently teasing him. He got mad at me and then said "I hate you." Immediately, he began apologizing and crying terribly. I made him sleep in his bed in his room that night. He hasn't said it again.

And, yes, he is five and he still sleeps in our room (not in our bed). We really do love to have him near.

Sheri

• RR
    RR
    Do you spank your kids???

Every chance I get!

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I spanked my children on rare occasions when they we're younger, however i regret this now and feel that there could have been better ways to deal with them.

On the one instance i felt justified. We were driving down the road, my daughter was about 7 at the time and in the front seat. She grabbed hold of the steering wheel, I said to her if she did it again i would smack her. She did it again and i smacked her on the hand. In hindsight i realise that I shouldn't have put her on the front seat.

I was spanked as a child, so i guess i felt this was ok. I do feel now though that spanking is when a parent ' loses it '. For many years i never spanked, until once last year, we went to Barcelona and my youngest (10) was so unruly, he ended up throwing a stick at a parked car, so yes i spanked him. But i regret it and felt as if i had lost it. However it worked, i think it shocked him more than anything.

There are no written rules to parenting and we all make mistakes, learning as we go along. I have learnt along the way and do not believe it is the way forward.

Paul

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

I have never spanked my daughter and doubt I would, the only kinda reason i could consider it would be if she ran out on a road or something. Spanking becomes to easy the de facto punishment. Personally I think if you have got to the point where spanking is your only recourse then you have screwed up somewhere down the line. To put a spanking into perspective try and imagine a 20 stone meathead putting you over his knee and whacking you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit