???Do you spank your kids???

by Princess Daisy Boo 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I spank mine everynite.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I have no kids. But if I did, I would spank them soundly. ;-)

• lilyflor
    lilyflor

I have 3 children. I definitely believe in spanking, but only from the ages of 3 to 6/7.

Spanking a child under 2 is abuse, spanking a child over 8 is uncalled for IMO.

But between the ages of 3 and 7, it can be hard or impossible to reason with a child and a few smacks lets them know you mean business. After that spanking becomes unnecessary as you have established your expectations.

At the age of 8 and up if they cross the line a good time out or taking away a privilege usually does the trick, but of course you have to mean it otherwise you start to lose credibility.

• llbh
    llbh

No noe has who advocates spanking has said how hitting a child is different from hitting an adult, so how come parents have the right to hit thier children?

David

• 10p
    10p
    It's been my observation that parents who don't spank their kids end up with out of control f*cked up kids.

I know at least in New Zealand, they made it illegal to spank, but didn't give parents any training or advice on how else to discipline their kids. So there are all these parents who were spanked when they were kids, and dont know any other way ... but aren't allowed to spank their kids, so basically their children go completely undisciplined.

We reserve spanking for incredibly serious crimes (our kids are under 7) ... like biting or attempted drowning etc. But the rest of the times, there's the 'naughty mat' which we learned from Supernanny Jo - and its blimmin effective ... as well as the 'good boy' chart and just playing with them and giving them attention - the Supernanny show taught me a lot about parenting.

That said, I dont begrudge parents who spank their kids - its a practice that stretches back into antiquity - we can't expect to all of a sudden change human society. If I had it my way, I'd wave a magic wand over humanity and make everyone into atheist secular humanists who didn't spank their kids. But it just doesn't work that way ... maybe in another thousand years.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I don't have kids but I practice on other peoples kids mostly at Dennys

• oldflame
    oldflame

Well to some of you I say this. When we were parents of young children there were no playstations or etc to take away, they had bikes and baseballs.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Yep, I do, but not very often. My daughter is such a good kid, she doesn't really "require" a spanking. Usually, all I have to do is look at her a certain way and that's enough. I can probably count on one hand the number of times she's been spanked in 8 years of existence.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I don't have children. But I was spanked when I was a child. Basically, being spanked taught me that I needed to get better at covering my tracks. One of my first memories at the Kingdom Hall was being taken outside to be spanked. I was three years old at the time. My mother says she spanked me when I was younger than that for various reasons. I don't think being spanked as a child made me into a better person.

Dave

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

When my children did something that scared me half to death or did something that was totally rude (and they knew it), they'd get a can of whoop ass opened up on them! Like for instance, I'm in the mall with my three year old twins. I kept telling them not to wonder off and to stay at my side. Well one went off and hid in one of the clothes racks, I was frantic! I couldn't see her! Then she pops out of the clothes rack! I swatted her backside good! And I didn't care who saw it!

One time, one of the twins got mad at my youngest for turning the TV channel; so she poured some pop/soda on her sister's head. She got the beat down for that! I asked her how would you feel if I did that to you!?

I, rarely, spanked them. All of them can, probably, count the times on one hand. It just depended on what they had done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit