WT: "Now the time to obey"

by tfjw 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tfjw
    tfjw

WT: "Now the time to obey"

Excerpts from Watchtower 8/15/53

"The following was delivered by the president of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society before the New World Society Assembly of Jehovah’s Witnesses at Yankee Stadium, New York city, N.Y., Monday afternoon, July 20, 1953."

"NOW THE TIME TO OBEY"

"The setting up of a visible kingdom over the Israelites meant newer arrangements for them, with more specific instructions given to them and more demands made upon them. It meant a tightening up of the national organization, their feeling the ruler’s power and authority more."

"If we have faith in the Kingdom, if we are lovingly loyal to God’s anointed King, we shall be glad to obey his instructions and arrangements through his visible theocratic organization. The Kingdom means tighter organization for God’s people on earth. This is vitally necessary if we are to stand up against the combined forces of the enemy and overcome this world. No one can go it alone, and the King will not go it alone with such an individualist. He goes with his flock, his organized subjects. If we refuse organization instructions, if we forsake the gathering of ourselves together to avoid organization and its obligations, where could we go after Armageddon?"

"For anyone to forsake the organized congregation of those who are destined to survive Armageddon means for that one never to get past Armageddon into the New World and its theocratic system. Like Noah’s family, we must now get into the ark all together!"

(Bold/red emphasis added)

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Wow, only 55 years ago. People who listened got in the ark just in the nick of time.

• Gregor
    Gregor

....a tightening up of the national organization, their feeling the ruler’s power and authority more."

There it is in plain language. He went on to leave no doubt who the "ruler" is, the WTB&TS. So much for being a humble servant. "My yoke is kindly and my load is light", yeah, right.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

They made some good bullshit in those days , the sad thing is people believed them and got badly sucked in.

My parents were a couple of those sucked in.

Power and corruption always go hand in hand unfortunately.

• tfjw
    tfjw

From the June 1, 1965 Watchtower magazine, in the "Questions from Readers", we have this quote: "if an organization is to be fully theocratic it must be directed and controlled altogether by God or by the forces that he operates."

What are these "forces that he operates"? The governing body?

"So, after Jehovah came to his temple in 1918, he began to restore this fully theocratic arrangement and to put into effect stricter controls on the visible organization. It was a gradual process; so it was not until 1932 that the untheocratic, democratic method of voting men into eldership was stopped."

"Untheocratic"? - Does this mean that the organization wasn't "ruled by God" prior to 1932? It wasn't "theocratic" back then? Since Jehovah had to "restore this fully theocratic organization" does that mean that he lost control of it?

"This strengthening of theocratic controls continued over a period of twenty years, from 1918 to 1938" - more control.

"Jehovah's organization must henceforth be guided and directed by Jehovah's spirit through the visible governing body ... Jehovah's theocratic government is now in full control of the people of God." - more control.

"New features of the work have required new methods, which has meant revisions and changes from time to time in organization instructions, but it is all a part of the advancement of Jehovah's theocratically controlled organization under the immediate direction of Jehovah God himself. Therefore, these revisions and changes are themselves fully theocratic, so they do not alter in any way the fully theocratic structure of the organization." - This "new work" is referred to as the worldwide building work, gaining new members, etc. Does that really make any sense at all?

"Work in unity with the organization as a whole. Draw all the good out of whatever reproofs are administered to you for your proper conduct. Carry out instructions with all respect for the great 'mother' organization." (Wt 10/1/50). - Mother always did know best.

And one of the worse quotes I've seen so far: "To hold to the headship of Christ, it is therefore necessary to obey the organization that he is personally directing. Doing what the organization says is to do what he says. Resisting the organization is to resist him." (Wt 5/1/59)

From the Watchtower magazine 10/1/90: "it is important that we follow the instructions God gives us through his Word, the Bible, and his earthly organization."

- Stephen

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Those were the Days for the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society!!!

Their warnings got many peoples attention and many went into the JW ark. My parents got the truth the year before and my Mom got baptized that year.

My parents were inspired by the words of the FDS and gave up a house and good job in 1958 and went where the need was great, dragging me along (a young child). They gave their all to their belief in the JW religion.

Now my parents are dead and gone and my Mother never left the Ark. Still no New System of things or Armageddon.

I know a lot of people that were best friends with my parents and who helped them into the "truth". Many of them are still alive and they are still as zealous and into it as ever. I don't understand how they can still believe when they have had the time to see how the Watchtower has evolved into nothing but untruths. Creatures of habit I guess??

Velvet

• Honesty
    Honesty

Where are all those people that head that thrilling discourse?

DEAD

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Many men want and desire to have the power of God in their hands, its just that some are better than others

in selling that very notion to the public.

Funny when you think about it , it was an actual professional salesman that started the whole thing off a hundred years ago

that person is C.T.Russell, god bless the free and open capitalist society that we live in, for just about anything can be sold, even a man's spirituality.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Such nakedly power-grubbing statements! Boy, the WT wishes they could go back to that time, don't they? Today they have to get creative in how they control the flock!

• Terry
    Terry
    "For anyone to forsake the organized congregation of those who are destined to survive Armageddon means for that one never to get past Armageddon into the New World and its theocratic system.

DESTINED to survive??

DESTINED??

What truly odd language from a religious orthodoxy that makes you earn your salvation by good works!

When did this "destined" language enter the minds of Watchtower writers??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit