WT: "Now the time to obey"

by tfjw 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gopher
    Gopher
    The setting up of a visible kingdom over the Israelites meant newer arrangements for them, with more specific instructions given to them and more demands made upon them.

But doesn't the Bible say that God didn't want them to set up a king like the other nations? I thought Samuel tried to resist their attempt at setting up a king.

So if setting up a kingdom/theocracy wasn't such a good idea 1800 years ago, why is it such a good idea now?

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth
    Where are all those people that head that thrilling discourse? Dead!

Honesty,

Not all of us. My husband and I are a couple of those who heard these words and swallowed them "hook, line and sinker".

But we escaped this mindset in 1983. I think there are many still alive who still believe this. There are still a few alive who

no longer believe that the WT is the "ark of salvation".

I, for one, am glad to be free!!

Velta

• tfjw
    tfjw

Yep, I'm one of those who still living who accepted that rubbish back then. I was born into this and believed it whole souled. "Jehovah's organization" was the only way to salvation. Blehhkh!

We survived before the ark crashed by getting out.

• tfjw
    tfjw

While most of the quotes above are from older publications, they still use similar language, especially in the convention and assembly talks. Here's a few more:

"those who do not submit to God's rule will be cut off." (Does God Really Care About Us?, 1992)

"must suffer the execution of Jehovah's righteous judgments" (Revelation - Its Grand Climax At Hand!, 1988)

"Those who choose to be independent of the Creator will be cut off" (Life - How Did It Get Here?, 1985)

"Jehovah will destroy the bad ones who do not change." (Enjoy Life on Earth Forever!, 1982)

This is mostly by using fear tactics and control more on a local level with pressure from elders, etc.

The fear tactics used back when the book "From Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained" was published scared a lot of young people into the organization. That was before the 1960's. There hasn't been a lot of change in the use of fear tactics, only now it seems to be a bit more subtle with "hints" of the pending doom of all apostates, worldy people, world governments, etc. The stuff in the Paradise Lost/Regained book would make for good material on building a script for a thriller sci-fi movie.

• tfjw
    tfjw

OK, a few more before I head out for a picnic with the family.

Truth does not contradict itself or deny the facts. It does not go contrary to reality... It does not change because of location or time. The truth is provable by actual fact. The truth endures, persists, because it is genuine, actually existing, in harmony with reality. (Things in Which it is Impossible for God to Lie, p. 22)

If we were following a man undoubtedly it would be different with us; undoubtedly one human idea would contradict another and that which was light one or two or six years ago would be regarded as darkness now; But with God there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning, and so it is with truth; any knowledge or light coming from God must be like its author. A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth. "New light" never extinguishes older "light," but adds to it... (Watch Tower, Feb, 1881, p.3)

It is a serious matter to represent God and Christ in one way, then find that our understanding of the major teachings and fundamental doctrines of the Scriptures was in error, and then after that, to go back to the very doctrines that, by years of study, we had thoroughly determined to be in error. Christians cannot be vacillating-'wishy-washy'-about such fundamental teachings. What confidence can one put in the sincerity or judgment of such persons? (Watchtower 1976 May 15 p.298)

God uses The Watchtower to communicate to his people; it does not consist of men's opinions. (WT 1/1/1942 p. 5)

We resolve that we shall obey all instruction received from the Watch Tower, knowing that such proceed from the higher powers, Jehovah God and Christ Jesus. We resolve to be completely obedient to the Society as the visible part of the Great Theocracy. (Watchtower, Feb. 1, 1940 p.47)

Thus the Bible is an organizational book and belongs to the Christian congregation as an organization, not to individuals, regardless of how sincerely they may believe that they can interpret the Bible. For this reason the Bible cannot be properly understood without Jehovah's visible organization in mind.. Since 1879 the Watch Tower magazine has been used by this collective group to dispense spiritual food regularly to those of this 'little flock' of true Christians.. Jehovah poured out his spirit upon them and assigned them the responsibility of serving as his sole visible channel, through whom alone spiritual instruction was to come. Those who recognize Jehovah's visible theocratic organization, therefore, must recognize and accept this appointment of the 'faithful and discreet slave' and be submissive to it.. Make haste to identify the visible theocratic organization of God that represents his king, Jesus Christ. It is essential for life.. in submitting to Jehovah's visible theocratic organization, we must be in full and complete agreement with every feature of its apostolic procedure and requirements. (Watchtower, Oct. 1 1967 pp. 587-92)

That they [Jehovah's Witness] must adhere absolutely to the decisions and scriptural understandings of the Society because God has given it this authority over his people. (Watchtower, May 1, 1972, p. 272)

Avoid independent thinking...questioning the counsel that is provided by God's visible organization. (Watchtower, Jan. 15, 1983 pg. 22)

If he is a false prophet, his prophecy will fail to come to pass. (Watchtower, 5/15/30)

The difference between a true and a false prophet is that one is speaking the word of the Lord and the other is speaking his own dreams and guesses. (Watchtower, May 15, 1930, p. 45) - 1914, 1925, 1975, etc.

Jehovah, the God of the true prophets, will put all false prophets to shame either by not fulfilling the false prediction of such self-assuming prophets or by having His own predictions fulfilled in a way opposite to that predicted by the false prophets. (Paradise Restored to Mankind - by Theocracy, p. 47- WBTS 1972)

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

I guess that means I'm dead. O well at least all the people I like will be dead with me besides who wants to live in a world where there are only Jdubs? That would be boring.

So let's ask our Jdub friends again in light of the watchtower of new:

So are all people who don't gather at the meetings going to get destroyed at geddon?

LD

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Where are all those people that head that thrilling discourse? Dead!

Honesty,

Not all of us. My husband and I are a couple of those who heard these words and swallowed them "hook, line and sinker".

But we escaped this mindset in 1983. I think there are many still alive who still believe this. There are still a few alive who

no longer believe that the WT is the "ark of salvation".

I, for one, am glad to be free!!

Velta

I'm glad you are both free. I should have said "Where are the people who were 70 years old when they heard that thrilling discourse? BTW, it appears (buzzword) that the Watchtower ark has sprung a leak.

• tfjw
    tfjw

BTW, it appears (buzzword) that the Watchtower ark has sprung a leak.

Patching up holes in the old cracked Tower with bubble gum theology can only last so long. Problem is, the bubblegum keeps changing colors but it lost its flavor a long time ago.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Great quotes thank you. I like reading these quotes because it reinforces my confidence that I have justifiably forsaken a blasphemous, arrogant, bunch of power-hungry control freaking masters of your faith.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wonder if all that advice ever goes out of date.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit