Sisters with Kleenex on their head

by LearningMore 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• inkling
    inkling

I think the term "Mother" comes from this JWD board mostly.

It relates back to Galations 4:26 which says "Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother".

Here you go:

• "The world is full of Bibles, which Book contains the commandments of God. Why, then, do the people not know which way to go? Because they do not also have the teaching or law of the mother, which is light. Jehovah God has provided his holy written Word for all mankind and it contains all the information that is needed for men in taking a course leading to life. But God has not arranged for that Word to speak independently or to shine forth life-giving truths by itself. His Word says: "Light is sown for the righteous." (Ps. 97:11) It is through his organization that God provides this light that the proverb says is the teaching or law of the mother. If we are to walk in the light of truth we must recognize not only Jehovah God as our Father but his organization as our mother." The Watchtower, May 1, 1957, p. 274.
  • "After being nourished to our present spiritual strength and maturity, do we suddenly become smarter than our former provider and forsake the enlightening guidance of the organization that mothers us? ‘Forsake not the law of thy mother' (Prov. 6:20-23)." The Watchtower, February 1, 1952, p. 80.
  • [inkling]

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I remember the kleenex thing. Older "sisters" in the cong. generally kept scarves in their f.s. bags just in case. So ridiculous. I remember people calling the org. "mother," but only the most pretentious folks did that, usually when they were putting someone down.

• RR
    RR
    "It is through his organization that God provides this light that the proverb says is the teaching or law of the mother. ...we must recognize not only Jehovah God as our Father but his organization as our mother." -- The Watchtower May 1, 1957, page 274

"In this way Paul identifies Jehovah's wife as His invisible universal organization, the mother of Christ and of his joint heirs". - Watchtower of May 1, 1957, page 275

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Napkin. Yep, because I, more fool I, was the the only guy there (unbaptised at the time).

I hope for her sake the cotton "napkin" was not used... (sniff, sniff)

• StAnn
    StAnn

When I was very small, my mom always wore a hat and white gloves, so she was already properly attired when the occasion arose. Later, when hats were out of vogue and my older brothers were baptized but still teenagers, they INSISTED she cover her head to pray or for family studies. She'd put a clean cloth diaper on her head. I'd have just smacked them down and sent them to their room. They weren't men, just boys. Already they were learning to be tyrants.

Chickpea~I wear a mantilla to Mass. I think it's purty. I've discovered that a lot of post-Vatican II women want to wear veils to Mass but are intimidated by the feminists. Since I've been wearing my veil, other women have started wearing theirs. However, for us Catholics, it's optional and is considered a personal piety.

• Rebirth
    Rebirth

Yep, when I used to conduct the meeting for service, I would occasionally have to don a kleenex. Another way to keep women in their place. Make them wear dresses, keep them from speaking their mind, not allow them to carry on any meaningful assignments, etc. Thank you for reminding me of how lucky I am to be out. Oh, and I never had to wear a headcovering when conducting a bible study with an unbaptized male.

And yes, I used to hear the older ones refer to the organization as mother. Gag, gag.

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Rebirth

Interesting... yes now I remember, no head covering with me accompanying a bible study with a sister (elder's wife), but a head covering at the hall before setting off. This was when I was unbaptised, but still, it is all now so obvious as a way to control people. Men as well as women.

• flipper
    flipper

Actually it was just a more spiritual form of tampon

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Nope, sorry, more memories coming back, she would put the napkin on her head when she closed in prayer. But.. she always asked me to open in prayer.

Wow, this is buried deep! Now I see it was to put the bible study at ease to begin with (that is, not putting something on your head), then at the end it was safer to introduce the wierd JW mindset (covering a woman's head)! Thanks for helping me realise that!

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

In the congregation I grew up in, Kleenex were only used as a last result when Dairy Queen napkins were not available! Then one year, the visiting circuit overseer put a stop to the practice and the ladies went out and bought a nice silk scarf to keep at the back of hall.

And I remember hearing Bethel being called "Mother" too. In fact there was a circuit overseer that even called it the mother ship. This was back in the early 80s.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit