Opinion poll: Is it wrong for grandparents to buy presents for all but one?

by cognizant dissident 58 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    It actually annoys me that so many parents treat Grans as free babysitters. As if it is a duty so the parents can leave their annoying kids elsewhere whist they go out for fun.

I agree Hamsterbait. It annoys me too. I never expected my parents to babysit and I never expected them to bring presents everytime they visit. Especially with parents like mine, that would just be setting myself up anyway! I actually took my son with me almost everywhere, and when I needed a babysitter, I preferred to pay as I didn't trust my parents to watch him carefully or to respect my wishes as a parent. My son never stayed overnight with my parents until he was 10 years old and I was sick and I was pretty sure he could survive on his own!

Cog

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

they've got some selfish rationalization for it, I'm sure. But it's hurtful and cruel and unnecessary. Little kids have a hard enough time, they don't need rejection from their grandparents.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Well, that's it then. The queen has spoken! Off with their heads!

Cog

• StAnn
    StAnn

For my non-JW nieces and nephews, I send them an amount of money every year on their birthday that corresponds to their age, i.e., a 12 year old gets 12 dollars. The youngers don't mind because they have the anticipation of getting more and more money as they get older. Problem is, one nephew is turning 30 this year and doesn't think the tradition should stop no matter how old he gets!

At Christmas, each niece/nephew gets the same amount of money spent on them. And no one is left out, that would be wrong.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Hey Lisa

My sister has this problem with her in-laws also. Her mother-in-law feels very close to her grandaughter. They have a special bond and quite frankly her boy is not interested in going to see little mermaids on ice with them. So being fair does not always mean having to be the same or exactly 50/50. However, it became a problem because time and time again the grandma planned special time with her grandaugher but never did with her grandson. So, my sister had to speak up again and say, I know you only want to take one kid at a time and that's fine, but you need to take turns. I'm not sending the girl until the boy has hid his turn! I do agree when they are actually babies, this is not always practical. But when they are old enough to know who grandma and grandpa are then it's only fair to take turns IMO.

Cog

cog, thank you for responding to my post. The younger two are not really babie. Their 4 & 5, so it's not like there are diapers or anything. But they are constant. After an hour or two..I'm just worn out. Actually I've become much better with the 5 yr old, also a girl. She's been spending the night more, and I take her to school or pick her up. But the 4 yr old..I swear he looks for things to irrate me.

Lisaveg -

You never leave the other youngsters out when getting presents; so I can't see it would do any harm to make it clear that as the two other littleuns get to an age where you can just hang out with them and have fun - NOT BABYSITTING FOR FREE - they can come on their own and have a girly weekend too.

It actually annoys me that so many parents treat Grans as free babysitters. As if it is a duty so the parents can leave their annoying kids elsewhere whist they go out for fun.

A french woman said to me a couple of years ago "It is as if you love your children, but do not like them."

HB

HB...This was the biggest part of the argument. When I told my daughter watching the younger ones felt like babysitting, she freaked and said she was going to ban me for seeing any of them, if I didn't stop refering to "spending time w/my grandchilden" as babysitting them. She said I was NOT babystting, that they want to spend time with me and as a grandmother I should want to spend time with them.... and if I didn't want to see or spend time with them, I could say no. That's not it at all......I want to spend time alone w/ the oldest...I enjoy her company. (she's like a little mini-me) lisa

• blondie
    blondie

I had a grandparent that did this. There was always a favorite grandchild that would get gifts when the rest of us got nothing. It was not an accident. This grandparent felt that this grandchild was more like them. It was no accident that it was the child of my grandparent's favorite child. It took 25 years for my parent to see the pattern and how they and the other children had been snubbed over the years.

My grandparent last years were lonely but once again even in death left money only to that one grandchild this time even leaving out the "favorite" child.

Blondie

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

YEs.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Tell the grandparents to either bring a gift for each child or none at all.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth
    My sister was very upset and refused to accept the present for her daughter if they had nothing for her son.

I have no doubt your sister made a wise decision.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit