llbh

That is so so sad they seem such a lovely family

David

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

That sucks...

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I don't have children but would like too one day. I do have a much younger brother though

This is absolutely heart breaking!!!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Toddler Driveway Deaths An "Epidemic"

Posted:

May 12, 2008 09:29 PM CDT

Updated:

May 13, 2008 02:07 AM CDT

by Jim Grawe

In the blink of an eye, tragedy strikes.

"It's heart stopping, hearing about somebody backing over a child," says concerned Wichita parent Lindsay Scott.

A life just beginning is ended by a mom, dada, grandparent, aunt, uncle or sibling. Scott says this kind of story tugs at the heart of every parent.

"The first thought is just to their family and how it is just so sad," says Scott.

The terrible accident on Mother's Day that killed two-year-old Justin McElhaney on Wichita's west side is a near carbon copy of many others. It happened at home in the driveway, the driver was a family member, the child was a boy under four and the vehicle was an SUV.

The non-profit, Kansas-based Kids and Cars organization says the number of these accidents has risen dramatically. Over the past decade at least nine small Kansans have died that way. More than half of those accidents happened in Wichita.

"It wasn't that long ago that a pickup truck or SUV or these larger vehicles wouldn't be found in every American driveway, but we are finding that these days," says Kids and Cars founder Janette Fennell.

Fennell estimates the Ford Bronco that Ran over McElhaney, like most SUVs, has a 20 to 30 foot blind zone behind it. That's something a new federal law aims to address.

"It seems hard and even impossible to believe there's no standard right now that says we should be able to see when we're backing up," says Fennell.

But implementing new standards is expected to take several years. In the meantime, options include installing a rear video camera on your vehicle and a back-up alarm.

Here's the address for giving to the Justin J. McElhaney Memorial Fund:

C/O BWCU

PO Box 789757

Wichita, KS 67278

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I had just been discussing this with my 10yr old yesterday. They tease me that I am overly cautious about that. So I explained how quick it can happen. This was, sadly, about the time little Maria died. I don't think they will tease me about it so much anymore.

momz

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Wow, that is so sad.

Mickey.

• BurnTheShips
  • wifekeepsmeinit
    wifekeepsmeinit

why is it that people get so excited over such bad news, enough to repost stories over the internet. What happened to the good news.

If I need to be reminded to hug my children there is something wrong with me.

• chickpea
    chickpea

praying they find the strength to bear the unbearable, and the belief that shattered hearts learn to beat again

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy
    What happened to the good news.

I was going to ignore you but I decided not to. I was sharing our sadness. I was also using this as a chance to warn parents of this all too common occurance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit