Gay Marriage - The War for Equality

by Inquisitor 108 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

I've just read lola28's thread "For those against gay marriage". I thought I should present a clear message on what I think the gay marriage issue is all about. The trouble with most discussions on this issue is that it gets clouded by a plethora of side-issues, non-issues, cave-men chest-thumping and medieval puritanism.

I'm going to present to you a simple argument FOR gay marriage: the issue of equality (justice).

If you stand by the view that gay people must be treated EQUALLY with straight people, then gays SHOULD have the opportunity to marry.

If you oppose gay marriage for ALL gay people (not just yourself) then you do NOT believe that homo folk deserve equality with hetero folk.

Simple?

If you still don't get it, let me put it forward to you in racial/ethnic terms.

In a hypothetical world:

If Caucasians have been constitutionally denied the right (by their non-Caucasian fellow citizens) to get married, should he be thankful? Should he be grateful that he has been given the right to a civil union and some rights on financial matters that are granted by such unions? He could be. But the issue of marriage is an issue of equal opportunity. Even if only symbolic.

It is a question of: "Are Caucasian men the equals of their non-Caucasian neighbours, in that he should be entitled to ALL the opportunities and rights that a non-Caucasian citizen enjoys?"

This, in my view, is what the gay marriage topic is all about. EVERYTHING else is hot air. EVEYTHING else is a mere distraction. You wanna argue against gay marriage? Tell me how you justify the inequality, and hence why it isn't an act of concerted homophobia.

Don't tell me about:

(1) Bible as moral code for individuals and country (founding father-esque false nostalgia)

(2) Claims of wanting less government intervening in people's lives. (what? you're turning a freedom to love disourse into a lecture on economic theory?)

(3) Claims (often by other gay people themselves) that gay people do not need to conform to "heterosexual constructs of monogamy", cheered on by heteros who want to paint promiscuity on the rainbow flag.

(4) How natural is homosexuality...using Bible to teach about nature instead of Science.

(5) The meaning of marriage... people with such high rates of divorce shouldn't pretend to be experts on what marriage really is.

Get to the core of the issue. Tell me how you justify the injustice. Otherwise stop pulling the wool. I'm passionately allergic to it.

INQ.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Forget gay marriage! I'm still trying to come to terms with GAY CHUBBY DATING. WTF?

If that picture doesn't turn you heterosexual in about a nano-second - I give up. Carry on.

• Inquisitor
  • Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Bee,

Be nice. Even big boys deserve love. ;)

INQ

• BenV
    BenV

Ah, now, c'mon, Bizzy ... "people of size" need good lovin' too.

Forget gay marriage! I'm still trying to come to terms with GAY CHUBBY DATING. WTF?

If that picture doesn't turn you heterosexual in about a nano-second - I give up. Carry on.

and ... are you saying that a straight man with a fat wife -- would probably "turn" gay? Nah, that ain't gonna happen, right? Ben (in love)

• llbh
    llbh

Totally agree with you INQ.

I am so against descrimination ai all it forms it always makes society poorer.

David

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Your comparison about denying marriage rights to a person of a different race is a completely false analogy, but I'm not going to waste my time explaining why.

• Shazard
    Shazard

Inquisitor... It is unjustly to apply similar rules for different people. That is communism, and how unjust it is history has shown. That is what you get when you overstate the value of "Equality"!

And yes, I oppose gay marriage as it is unnatural, it tries to redefine trditional termo "marriage" into something what was not orriginally implied by the term. And marriage rights are connected with marriage duties! Originally marriage and family was building block of society. Ppl living in marriage provided small micromodel of society, thus creating and growing society members for the benefits of the society. Gay marriage Does NOT by definition is able to produce human, and tries to overturn prooved good, tested and traditionally accepted form of society "regeneration" through traditional marriage. As marriage is at the base of society structure, thus changes in this institution implies changes in society. As I am member of THIS society I have voice rights to oppose to changes of the society I am living in just as I have voice to oppose in changes in my family from my family members.

I haven't heard reasonable argumetnation WHY gay marriage should be treated equaly with heterosexual marriage, if the traditional marriage it's rights gains from it's functions - reproduction and society making! Why then we do not grant the same rights to CHANGE our society to any group which wants to change the society - to Communists, to Nazis, to Cult leaders? They all then have EQUAL rights to define and change what IS marriage what IS society and HOW it is build? Why only gays are somehow special to redefine traditional understanding of what is marriage, it's functions, rights and duties? If equal, then ALL equal, then each and every member/group can have the rights to define the society as society starsts from family, clan, village, city, state!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

yadda yadda 2:

Your comparison about denying marriage rights to a person of a different race is a completely false analogy, but I'm not going to waste my time explaining why.

Instead you're just going to waste our time by making a ridiculous statement and not supporting it? Well done! I am completely opposed to gay marriage. Gay people who get married should not be granted extra rights at all. But then, nor should straight people. Every individual citizen should have the same rights regardless of whether they are in a romantic relationship or the exact nature of that relationship. Anyone who wants to cement their relationship with a written contract should be free to do so, but should not be given any more rights or have to pay less tax as a result. Individuals or private clubs (such as religions) could choose which forms of marriage they recognise but the state should treat all people equally. Ta-da! A solution that everybody should be happy with. So why is nobody fighting for that?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I am completely opposed to gay marriage. Gay people who get married should not be granted extra rights at all. But then, nor should straight people. Every individual citizen should have the same rights regardless of whether they are in a romantic relationship or the exact nature of that relationship. Anyone who wants to cement their relationship with a written contract should be free to do so, but should not be given any more rights or have to pay less tax as a result. Individuals or private clubs (such as religions) could choose which forms of marriage they recognise but the state should treat all people equally.

Do I need to say something to support this statement?

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit