The End of Circuit Overseers

by scotsman 127 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quandary
    Quandary

The details of Ernie's post seem to add validity to the speculation. Interesting times ahead-

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

I can't wait for these big changes. Exciting! I hope it's all true. I heard from some friends that we got our new COs name and first date of visit (sometime next Oct)...it will be interesting to watch the COs and see if there is a change in their demeanor...I mean, if I knew I was losing my job shortly, it would be hard to be enthusiastic about the same old stuff, I think I would change a bit, especially trying to give a service talk and thinking of a name for my new janitorial / window washing buisness all at the same time.

• mustang
    mustang
    More speculation (how much fun is that!???) - but what about those bigger and bigger single huge kingdom hall multi-congregations? Could there be a new class of uber-overseer to run more than one congregation in such cases? He would not have to tavel like the old CO.

Curious, indded, Captain!!!

An acquaintance of mine was a "City Servant" or the Overseer responsible for an Assembly Hall. Before he moved to that metropolitan area, he had been the "assistant" CO for our Circuit.

It looks like there is a heirarchy and precedence already in existence.

Mustang

• mustang
    mustang
    The Watchtower desperately needs goals for its young men to reach out for. If CO was not a full time position but rather something that a few Elders where granted as a 'privilege' then there could be a possibility for more advancement'. It would also take tons of liability off of the Watchtowers hands.

Adds to my previous observation: my acquaintance was such a 'rising star'. Although, I have to say, he was the best Servant I ever saw. He was fair and never ambitious; he was just a natural leader.

At one time I remember seeing "Zone Servant" listed in very old/older literature. This probably gets close to "Branch Servant". Large metro areas become like small countries (something I have experience with :) )

They'll just pull these old designations out of the sloset, dust them off, reassign people to metro areas and rename the positions.

Mustang

• mustang
    mustang

I speculate that eventually, over a period of years, the KHs will be sold off and bigger more mainstream church-type facilities erected (by the RBC, of course.)

One of the current corps of the WTS is concerned with "Education" if I remember correctly, and I think perhaps they will educate the COs, DOs, and some of the better POs in areas such as psychological counselling including marriage counselling, maybe even offering some sort of certification for such. This way, they could be insured against liability.

YES!!! Whar's YOUR Clergy Malpractice Insurance!!!!

An apartment connected to the facility or a home built on or near the premises (at local expense) would be a part of the "package" for them

Great!! These are known as "Rectories", a favorite of the Catholic Church.

Compare the Vow of Poverty, which the WTS instituted to make the Taxman happy. The RCC has been doing this for centuries; they are likely why the Vow of Poverty is FOUND IN THE FEDERAL LAW CODES.

Yes, there is an evolving trend here: WTS is following the RCC right down the road to Babylon

Mustang

• Confession
    Confession

I love this... When my mom and dad deigned to meet with me about two months ago, they thought they were enlightening me with organizational news when they told me about "consolidating" meetings, (read: eliminating the Book Study as a separate meeting.) I acknowledged that I'd heard of that change--and of the discontinuation of the Circuit Overseer arrangement. They had both been doing a lot of head nodding, but it was hilarious when, in the moment that left my lips, both of their heads halted in mid-nod.

It's good to hear there are definite plans and a timetable for this.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Where there is smoke there is fire. I think something is brewing. Looking forward to these new developments. And to EDWARD ELDER, nice to see you here. Present elder in my home too.

wanna

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

So, Is there real proof available regarding this?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Proof? I would doubt that there will be, until it is revealed officially like the Book Study was. Until that happens, it remains Apostate rumor.

I personally have just a hunch that the core part of it is real - that probably some sort of cost-cutting move is at work behind it. Maybe the current COs (the ones that survive the cut, that is) will be made residents of an assigned area, like a special pioneer. They will have some kind of uber-PO privilidge, but not be going from here to there every week.

I highly doubt that any development planned on this will allow for any lightening of the centralized control of all the congs by the Society Central.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

If a select few are relocated and set up as some kind of "uber P.O" maybe presiding over 10-20 congs...I'm sure that 100% of expense will be by those 10-20 congs, it will just become part of their budget. Another bill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit