The End of Circuit Overseers

by scotsman 127 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

I was just a rank and file publisher, so I don't really know the ins and outs of a CO visit and its implications. Ex-elders: how effective were your CO's at enforcing Mother's wishes? Did you just give the right image for that week and then move on?

Also, did they enforce their own ideas, or were they Society men?

I'm trying to figure out how much enforcement/control CO's currently afford the Society.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Good question, Eyes Open! I was wondering myself.

Of course this announcement, if true, will be spun like the end of the BS, rising cost of fuel, bad economy, loving provision for the R&F since they pay the expenses of the CO during his visit, etc.

I don't think getting rid of them is as much financial as they are having too hard of a time finding qualified brothers that want to go into the circuit work. The congregations foot the bill for everything related to the CO's.

• Carlos_Helms
    Carlos_Helms

"I was just a rank and file publisher, so I don't really know the ins and outs of a CO visit and its implications. Ex-elders: how effective were your CO's at enforcing Mother's wishes? Did you just give the right image for that week and then move on?

Also, did they enforce their own ideas, or were they Society men?

I'm trying to figure out how much enforcement/control CO's currently afford the Society."

It covered the spectrum, Eyes Open. Needless to say, the shoes were shined to a glossy black for impending CO visits. There were a number of COs who were admirable men..."listeners," if you will. I had more trouble with DOs. One little man in particular stopped in the middle of his circuit assembly keynote discourse to demand the publishers stop chewing gum. The minutes-long silence was deafening. It was followed by a five-minute lecture berating the listeners on "etiquette." I believe it was the only time I ever got up and walked out. Of course, it probably wasn't perceived as any kind of "statement" on my part as I was the busiest little beaver on the assembly crew...but a few were privy to my overly-animated rant in the foyer (something about Bro. Little Tin God being a first-rate ass).

In my experience, the COs did a fair job of "clarifying" Society directives. Consider that I served in the 80s, and the full weight of the Society's post-apostasy schism had not been felt the wild, wild west. As I recall, the COs were called colporteurs and they arrived on horseback (LOL). In all honesty, most COs were good men who, when alone, expressed their concerns (ie: retirement, etc). Most feared being put out to pasture without a pot to urinate in. As such, I never really felt that they fully bought into the "Armageddon is imminent" claptrap...at least not to the exclusion of a healthy retirement account.

The dilemma faced by many COs was the Society's desire for legal autonomy at the congregation level (read: liability reduction) while maintaining control over the congregations' inner workings. It was left to the COs to integrate the two mutually-exclusive operating philosophies on the ground. No easy task.

Carlos

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Good comment Carlos. I agree that a lot of the DOs were worse than the COs, though there were some nasty little COs.

The WTS arrangement produces an unusual number of little spiritual bullies. i knew quite a few.

I also had some COs that I deeply respected. That was the worry every three years - or the relief - we're you going to get rid of some insufferable little prick, or get a new one??!!

S4

• willyloman
    willyloman

Carlos, this comment is insightful:

The dilemma faced by many COs was the Society's desire for legal autonomy at the congregation level (read: liability reduction) while maintaining control over the congregations' inner workings. It was left to the COs to integrate the two mutually-exclusive operating philosophies on the ground.
  • Witness 007
    Witness 007

So many C.o"s are gonna be Hitchhiking without their Watchtower Corp. cars...so sad....go back to Window Cleaning after so many years?? At least they saved some cash and no doubt have a nice little retirement nest egg......oh crap, sorry I forgot!

• metaspy
    metaspy

I think the CO's have a good way to save money.
    They don't pay for anything, and they get money handed to them (green handshakes).

I would say they have some money stashed somewhere.

• jakmarx
    jakmarx

Id like to know what source of this rumour is. To be honest i wouldnt even believe it, but ive heard on the bethelite grapevine that theres is some organizational changes. With the book group going, I could see this happening.

I feel bad for a few CO's i know, some have been on circuit for years. It would be really hard being dropped in the real world.

My PO is a multi millionaire and stand in CO so should interesting.

• metatron
    metatron

Bravo on this thread. It's exactly what I've been saying for years about the Society and CO's. They are stuck with a huge dilemma about control and liability.

I am eager to see what happens next to these itinerant enforcers.

metatron

• besty
    besty

bttt as new information posted today by a newbie Ernie: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/163171/1.ashx

Although not officially in the public domain , my understanding is that COs will not be given a new assignment after their existing one ends on Aug 31st 2009. Each CO has been sworn to confidentiality on this matter. WTS still working on the details & many COs annoyed at lack of information. Still some question about whether all will be reassigned as special pioneers - looks like each CO will be treated on a case by case basis. Those who have a home are being "encouraged" to return there. Some COs are already sorting their futures out & have come off or will be by end of service year.

Transitionally , the foreign language circuits are already in the process of being disbanded and will be serviced by existing COs from 1.9.08. No new substitute COs are being recruited

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit