Sunday's public talk...

by kzjw 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• sir82
    sir82

Where the brother 1 was counsling brother 2.

Later brother 1 was told that he was giving counsel to the wrong brother so he went to brother 2 and apologized and asked why he had not said anything.

brother 2 replies: I just enjoyed the counsel.

Here's the way I heard it from a CO many years ago:

"When I was in Bethel, my supervisor mistakenly thought that I had made [xyz error - can't remember what]. So he proceeded to give me counsel on what I did wrong, and how to correct it. He went on and on and on.

"But you know what? Even though I knew I was not at fault, I didn't say anything. I just listened. And do you know why?"

[CO inhales sharply, stretches his head back, glaring condescendingly at his audience]

"Brothers, the counsel was good."

[Followed by the usual drivel about unquestioningly obeying whatever comes from the mouth of the elders, CO, etc., even if you don't agree with it]

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

This is so typical for JWs. I think many people are guilty of hearing a piece of a report and filling in the gaps with outrageous material. But the average person isn't giving public lectures that are taken by the listeners as gospel. Many JW elders do this. I have known GB to do it.

Isaac

http://www.isaaccarmignani.blogspot.com

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The crisis in Myanmar is because there is a dictatorship!

Not to surprising that JWs who reject the idea of scholarly debate and discussion would proliferate generic ideas that give no depth whatsoever about complicated political and economic problems.

Simplistic and naive answers to complex questions. Way to go Watchtower!

• milligal
    milligal

I don't have one specific quote to offer you, but in my 25 years of going to meetings I repeatedly heard how the witnesses were such great citizens and they had all these examples of how people wanted them as employees, they were great neighbors yada yada yada. All this from the stage -all the time. When I got into a legal battle with my ex (JW) over our son, WOW the comments that people in the community made about witnesses. We're talking police officers, psychologists, attorney's you-name it. People in this community were loathe to deal with JW's. They found them rigid, unreasonable and difficult.

Come to find out my sister had the same experience on the other side of the U.S. during her divorce.

I think a lot of what is said from the platform is accepted as true and never questioned.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Ha! I love the "I was using it as an example". So that makes up for a outright lie? You can go before a JDC and defend yourself by blatantly lying and it's OK?

• White Dove
    White Dove

This is disgusting! One of the requirements for my degree is researching and citing sources. If I don't cite the source of my claim, I will have committed plaigerism...or however it's spelled:) If I ever go to a Sunday meeting again, I will request his notes and work cited page. If he says there is no such page, I will tell him that he just committed plaigerism(sic).

• Mary
    Mary

I phoned up Crooklyn a few months ago to blast them for having a WT study on oral sex when there were small children present. I asked them why they're 'going beyond what is written' and where are they getting this stuff from. He actually admitted to me that a "certain amount of personal opinion" goes into the literature. What a big surprise eh? In the future, I think all their outlines should start with this:

• 83501nwahs
    83501nwahs

One of the last meetings I went to the brother said that it was the fault of people that natural disasters happen, and he gave the example of people living in Bangladesh where they KNOW there are lots of floods but they live there anyway which apparently, according to him, makes them accountable before Jehovah for being unwise in their choice of where to live. So if everybody moved out of Bangladesh to where there were no floods, there would be no major disasters there. I approached the brother afterward and asked him if Jehovah would hold him accountable for living where he knows major earthquakes occur (Los Angeles.)

• heathen
    heathen

From what I've seen on the tele they are holding back aid and making people suffer more than they need too . Nothing about flat screen TVs tho.

• by grace
    by grace

"I think a lot of what is said from the platform is accepted as true and never questioned." milligal, Oh yeah, for sure....us poor lambs always do...or did, in my case. After 10 years of it, I am very upset about having been led by wolves. I noticed that psychologists offer "cult recovery" and I'm wondering how many people actually get any help after coming out of it. I think the Watchtower should have to pay for it for everyone that has come out. I hope someday!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit