Sunday's public talk...

by kzjw 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• kzjw
    kzjw

Went with the wife this week for the Public talk (I simply will not sit through the Watchtower study), the subject was about how poorly governments are taking care of thier people in disasters. The speaker(who had a british accent) started by saying "Burma(Myanmar) had 2 tsunamis and the government sent flat screen tv's as aid for the refugees..." Needless to say this dillweed lost me for the next 30 minutes of his talk about how man can't care for God's people. I left during the study as always and returned at the end of the meeting, still burning over the glaring lie told by this "brother" which by the way no one even batted an eye in the congregation! So I walked over and called him on the "2 tsunami & flat tv's for aid" claim he made during his talk. He responded that he listened to the BBC, to which I reponded that I work in the media and monitor all news sources on a daily basis and his claim of the 2nd tsunami was simply seasonal rainfall! He quickly "adjusted" his story to say the BBC reported that "the rains was building and building..." I interupted his bs and said well "Where did you get the report about the flat screen tv's?" He looked puzzled and said that he used it as an "example" to illustrate his point. By then, the wife came over to rescue him, because she knew that I was pissed...

Do a lot of speakers use these "far-fetched examples" (f*^#-ing lies) to illustrate their points? Do you have a story? I'm dying to here it....

KZJW

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I bet that was a total lie when they said the government sent flat-screen TVs for aid from the cyclone. Which the witlesses are very good at doing--telling half truths and blatant lies to get people to think the world is such a horrible place and the Washtowel Slaveholdery is such a wonderful one.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Those STRETCHES are part of JW culture. Like ask someone how many JWs were persecuted in the death camps under Hitler and you will hear probably THOUSANDs when the reality is more like a couple hundred MAYBE. Also...the Revelation book is a prime example of them taking EVERY SINGLE SCRIPTURE and applying it to themselves, their past, their elders, their governing body, their bible students their their their ad nauseum. I have always thought that their application of Revelation to themselves is roughly the equivalent of stretching a condom over a bowling ball.

I get your frustration! And KUDOS to you for letting him know you CAUGHT his ass in a lie!!

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

PS - the government there is NOT ALLOWING anyone to ship supplies into the country. So how does he figure flat screen TVs are meant for or even getting TO....any victims?? What a moron. The government has been stockpiling the GOOD stuff for themselves and giving the ROTTING food to the refugees THAT I DID HEAR on the news.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

To an avg JW, a report given by a fellow JW is viewed as a reliable news source. I run into this all the time

• lnunya
    lnunya

kzjw...kudos to you. If more people were knowledgeable enough to call others on their lies, maybe more care would be taken in preparing the talks or more thought before making silly comments. Blatant lying from the podium.....'theocratic warfare?'.....a pox on that slanderous organization. Simply another offspring of the "father of the lie."

• parakeet
    parakeet

A JW family member told me last fall that the current Pope was supposed to have asked publicly and in puzzlement why all the Catholic churches were nearly empty when all the Kingdom Halls were bursting at the seams with JWs. I asked where she got that information, and she said the Sunday speaker said it, so of course it must be true. I told her I wanted to know the source of this information, and she promised to find out. Still waiting ..................

• jgnat
    jgnat

A pioneer sister told me that only the Jehovah's Witnesses housed Tutsis during the Rwandan genocide. I asked for her source on that one, too. Still waiting....

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Doesnt matter if it's true, as long as it sounds good.

• mind my own
    mind my own

What a great post kzjw! It's so great that you called this looser out on his BS, b/c that is exactly what it is!

I am almost positive that NO ONE else approached him to ask if this was really accurate and where he got his information from. They would just take it at face value and then use it in upcoming comments, conversations, return visits etc.

Great job, but it's dissapointing that everyone else in the room just believed him. It's not like they will be watching CNN or any other news centre for accuracy. I hope you expressed your displeasure to your wife.

MMO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit