California Court Affirms Right To Gay Marriage

by BenV 280 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I enjoy our traditional biblical values in this country Mariusuk.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy
    but you can see where this slippery slope is headed.

Actually, I've never accepted the "slippery slope" argument.

First, it's... "Well, next people will have multiple wives or husbands." Look, honestly, if someone is into that, they're going to have it anyway. And at least they get the recognition of ONE of the spouses. Right now, I don't have that.... and I just have one husband.

Then, it's... "Well, what's to keep someone from getting married to their dog?" Oh, please! No thinking person is going to honestly believe that could actually happen.

Marriage is about LOVE first and foremost, but it's also about certain rights. Rights that can't be overturned as easily as a power of attorney or contested as easily as a will. It's about joining your life, completely, with the person (gay, straight or bi) you love most in this world.

Junction-Guy, I totally respect your opinion, but what about love is bizarre? Because, like I said before marriage is first and foremost about LOVE. If I didn't love Wayne, I never would have committed my life to him. All I want now is for my country, that I love, to not treat me like a second-class citizen and allow me to marry him.

CountryGuy

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

I have kinda lurked and posted for a while now although I did not know about your coming out. You seem to have had issues about it which means you clearly did not really accept who you are/were. However a lot of gay people know EXACTLY how they are, what they want and how they wish to lead their life. If they wish to get married I cannot see any reason whatsoever why they should be discouraged for it. Your experience would be like me advocating a ban of marriage because i had married a bit of a bitch if you pardon my french

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

And, I enjoy the fact that our country was based on religious freedom and we are made up of sooooo many different religions, not just those based on the Bible.

Junction, I'm very sorry that you had a bad coming out experience. I understand where you're coming from a bit better now. I do still respect, even though I disagree, with your opinion.

CountryGuy

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

My mind is made up and will not change to suit the fads of the time.

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

You may well do so, but a lot don't in your own country, is it right that they are repressed because people are a bit narrow minded? A lot of people in America are racist should black people not have rights because of the wishes of those people? Do you have any real reason why gay people whoukd not marry or is it just because of your personal struggles? Apologies if it sounds like i am being a bit direct, I just don't get prejudices

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Oh, JG, I think you've been peering into your own soul for too long - how can you possibly hear what God is telling other people?

What about the bisexuals? Maybe they were born with the desire to have a husband and a wife at the same time? Just kidding, but you can see where this slippery slope is headed.

Sounds like an attempt to rile the natives based on supposed biases. I have not problem with adults engaging in polygamy. Neither dis God at various times. But that's really a somewhat different issue.

I do not have the desire to spend my life with another guy, it feels unnatural and bizarre.

As one of your supporters, yay for you - you figured out what is natural for you. Now don't presume to know what is natural for me. At least you understand your own homosexual tendancies and have acted on them. Me? I find heterosexual acts unnatural and bizarre. But that's me.

They already have civil unions, plus there are many other legal remedies available for those looking to find legal protections. So it just seems to me is that they are only doing this to make a statement, and to try to usurp the traditional values this country was founded upon. I have no problem with gay marriage in other countries, in fact the whole world could embrace it and that is fine for them, but this is America and we have our own values here.

Grow up. It's time America got out of the backwater, and for you to realize how difficult life is even for domestic partners with documented civil union status. Not being able to see your partner in the hospital, having to drag around your registration - while your straight peers just pop in and say "We're married" and get all the privileges of that relationship. Having to go through so many legal hoops for power of attorney, inheritence, etc. - my straight peers don't have to go to the trouble and expense of attorneys fees to establish our relationship. Dealing with relatives that take every opportunity to deny or revoke what you have built with your partner.

Which part of SEPERATE BUT EQUAL do you think actually WORKED in this country?

Just look at what this whole gay issue has done to me. They say that curiosity killed the cat. but I would have been better off if I had just left it alone and not even touched it.

Yes, you handled a lot of things poorly. And you still got sympathy from certain quarters, and help when you asked. Myself, I've always lived honestly and impeccably with my sexuality. I avoided your pitfalls.

I deserve the same privileges as you can lay claim to without even THINKING about it.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

And the gay folks at JWD helped me in this regard too. I was much more open to the issue before I ever started conversing with some of you here. The difference is that I can debate without using rude,filthy remarks as has been seen in other recent posts.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

being black and being gay are 2 seperate things, one you were born as, the other just developed.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy
    being black and being gay are 2 seperate things, one you were born as, the other just developed.

JG, for me, being gay never "just developed." I was gay from my very earliest memories. I'm not saying that everyone is that way, but I can promise you the majority of gay people had no choice in the matter what so ever, especially those of use growing up as dubs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit