California Court Affirms Right To Gay Marriage

by BenV 280 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

Will? Will you marry me? It could be an open marriage to make room for Padre.

Why do we debate this ad-nausea?

• brinjen
    brinjen

Good question, the 'debate' part that is...

• dinah
    dinah

You mean Will won't marry me?

I'm gonna stomp off in a huff. Cos he is FABULOUS

Is it just me, or do some people need to get over the gay thing? Who really cares? I do it myself most of the time. Am I asexual?

Damn, Brin, you got some batteries??

• brinjen
    brinjen

*hands batteries to Dinah*

Not sure how good they are though.

• scotsman
    scotsman
    Why do we debate this ad-nausea?

Because it remains an unsettled (and apparently unsettling) issue for Americans.

• dinah
    dinah

Brin, I have more batteries.

• brinjen
    brinjen

hee hee.

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude
    Really-a-mess wrote: Fathers & mothers completely emotionally destroyed over it.

Tough shit. Deal with it. My 'gayness' got my parents, and my sister out of the JWs. My being gay was the best thing for my family. Sounds like you have 'issues and tissues' dude. Perhaps Oprah has an opening for you on her show. How dare you be anti-gay, and yet blatently use Trent Reznor's creative works. Trent has always been very pro-gay rights, if not outright gay himself. Get a grip.

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude

Whoo hoo! New York state now recognizes out of state, same sex marriage from Canada, Mass, Vermont, California, New Jersey, etc... Another huge win!

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think gay rights is a worthy topic here on JWD. It is here where I came to be more sensitive to the issues.

Think about it. Ex-JW's are rejected by their community for thinking differently than their peers. If they are open about their true feelings, they risk being cut-off from friends and family. Instantly, they are ostracized. Some take the leap. Others stay. It's always a hard decision.

Gays risk being rejected by their community by being oriented differently than their peers. If they are open about their true feeligns, they risk being cut-off from friends and family. Instantly, they may be ostracized. Some come out of the closet. Others stay hidden. It's always a hard decision.

One of my big revelations was that the fight for gay marriage and other rights is that it is a rejection of them as people, if we deny them the social conventions of the society at large. By saying "no", we continue to treat the community as deviant, and even possibly dangerous. We perpetuate the rejection.

As ex-JW's, we should know better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit