Finding Faith

by Ima Apostate 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Trev,

I have no intention of getting dragged into a long and pointless debate with you.

Suffice it to say, I believe the preponderance of the evidence I recognize as being valid and am aware of supports my belief that there exists an originating force, I call that force "God."

This is entirely in line with the question posed by the OP

I don't mind answering questions about my faith from time to time when asked in a way I don't object to; But you sir, come off as being "contentious" and I left that behind in the Kingdumb Hell.

Got none for you.

Plus, it's not as if I care.

RD

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi Roller!!

As many here know, I'm not a person who is a "believer". The evidence doesn't work for me. But I have plenty of friends and family for whom the evidence DOES work.

I think each person needs to find their spiritual / philosophical center, to find what works for them.

I didn't want to comment on this thread because the original poster was talking about "finding faith", and I am not here to discourage people from finding their own spiritual center.

I was hoping this thread wouldn't turn into a debate. There are other threads where people can debate the merits and ideas of belief versus non-belief.

The board should (and hopefully does) welcome people of both stripes, and all shades in between.

• trevor
    trevor

Roller Dave - you made a number of contentious comments in your first post on this thread. I politely ignored your indirect slurs and stated my position. Or you could say laid my cards on the table and asked you what you have faith in that allows you to consider that you are not an Atheist?

You fail to respond in an intelligent way but say, ‘…you sir, come off as being contentious and I left that behind in the Kingdumb Hell.’

When debating with BurnTheShips I am contentious because that is the style of his non stop Saved by Christ campaign. Just about everyone that debates with him ends up being contentious.

With you I have been polite and explained myself. If you don’t want to share yourself on this board, that is your choice. On the other hand if you come here take sides and make contentious comments, you should not be surprised when you are asked to asked to explain them.

In your own words:

It's a bigotry of talking in normative form. very discouraging and intolerant, but I digress.
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    When debating with BurnTheShips I am contentious because that is the style of his non stop Saved by Christ campaign. Just about everyone that debates with him ends up being contentious.

I am to blame for your contentiousness? Look at the thread title, look at the subject matter of the orginal post and the question. Then look at your first post. It was rather contentious, in my opinion. That's fine, you can post where you want and what you want within the forum rules, but please don't be blaming me for the your tone on this thread. My own initial post was not an attack against anyone but just a sharing of my own experience.

BTS

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

What burn said man.

OP posed a question, I answered from my experience, nothing indirect about my slurs.

I don't go trash your monkey-worship threads (anymore) why would you come in here where people have been asked about their faith and are answering and start making demands that people explain themselves?

You know what? I don't have to justify myself to you.

Get over yourself and step off cuz I'm done wasting time with you.

RD

• trevor
    trevor

Ima Apostate

I am sorry if I appear to have hijacked your thread. That was not my intention. You told us:

And oh my god, the first time I took communion, it was like heaven. I cried almost every day in the weeks leading up to my baptism.

If a young person posted here, who was studying with Jehovah’s Witnesses, and made a similar statement regarding their joy at discovering their new faith, I would imagine you would feel a certain apprehension for them. With your experience you might feel the need to make a pointed comment about what it means to be a Jehovah’s Witnesses.

That is why I commented.

Going back to the beginning you asked, ‘ How many of you ex-JW kids were able to believe in mainstream Christianity after leaving the Borg?’

BTS commented

Hi Ima, something similar happens to many of us. We are so programmed to view God in some narrow way and see him as an angry punisher such that it is difficult to even speak to Him in an open way when we part. It takes a long time to shake off the programming.

My own experience was summed up when I said:

To shake off such programming it is necessary to shake off many passages in the Holy Scriptures that explain the God of the Bible and his propensity to vengeance and punishment. If we shake off the Bible account of this angry God then his son disappears too and we are left with a Bible that is no longer the Holy word of God. Jehovah's Witnesses have based many of their beliefs on such Bible passages. Modern Christians like to cherry pick the verses that they find acceptable and reject the 'nasty bits.'

The debate that followed will be judged differently by different people depending on their views. I hope you read this thread through carefully and many similar debates with Christians and form your own opinion. I do not expect you to agree with mine. If you want to be a Christian badly enough you will ignore inconvenient remarks and cling to your faith as you did when you were a Jehovah’s Witnesses.

This is something that you would be wise to consider before you become too deeply involved in another Bible based religion. You need to ask yourself how much of the Bible you really believe? Or are you able base your faith on just a feeling? You have already made a mistake with religion and it would be tragic to fall into the same trap twice.

Whether keeping off threads that congratulate Christians on their new found faith would be considered noble or selfish of me is a matter of opinion. As I said to you before , ‘ I wish you well in you faith and hope that It continues to bring you the comfort and peace that you need.’

Burn the Ships

Thanks for you input and patient efforts to explain the basis of Christianity. I have read the links you posted and will endeavour to understand your faith better.

Trevor

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

imaapostate

And oh my god, the first time I took communion, it was like heaven. I cried almost every day in the weeks leading up to my baptism.

Just wondering what you experiences are?

what a lovely experience. I have found from being here on JWD that there are many different ways of acheiving what you have described. I remember feeling like you when I took my first holy communion - I think I must have 8 or 9 then.

At the moment I'm finding that I quite enjoy meditation and am thinking of taking a course in TM as I understand that it is possible to feel like one is in heaven through training in that path, but of course it isn't for everybody.

I'll share with you all if I have any experiences.

ql

• jgnat
    jgnat

Terry and burn, start your own thread. It would be nice, also, if you both welcomed one of our newest members.

Welcome, Ima!

• trevor
    trevor

Jgnat

Would it be right to assume that you meant Trevor and Burn - but have not read the thread thoroughly enough to notice?

This is not Ima's first post, but early on I welcomed her when I said, 'I wish you well in you faith and hope that It continues to bring you the comfort and peace that you need.' And repeated this again at the end.

I accept that the debate that has taken place would have been more appropriate on another thread but we never know how a discussion is going to go.

I have already apologized to Ima and explained my reasoning by summarising and trying to directly discuss her opening comments. She is free to reply or ignore me. If she wishes to complain I will listen with modesty.

I consider that I have made some very relevant points on this thread and my input has enable Ima's thread to run for longer than perhaps it would have, giving others the chance to welcome her.

Perhaps you have more to offer Ima that a one word Welcome? I look forward to your input.

trevor

• jgnat
    jgnat

You are right, trevor. I meant you. My comment still stands. Frankly, I think this thread has derailed too far for me to add constructive comment.

You know I am capable of more than one-word answers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit