Finding Faith

by Ima Apostate 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ima Apostate
    Ima Apostate

How many of you ex-JW kids were able to believe in mainstream Christianity after leaving the Borg? Within the last year, I have opened up to getting to know God again. What's funny is that when I prayed for truth and to know God, I knew and had a real feeling in my heart that I was getting closer to something real, but there was still a voice going, "Hey, it's me Jehovah, and you have rejected me!"

Luckily, with a LOT of study of JW belief, mind control, the Bible, the Trinity, and Christian history, the voice is finally going away. It might even be gone. Anyone else have that voice for a while? How many of you have been able to say the Creed and believe it? I didn't say the Creed at church for months.

And oh my god, the first time I took communion, it was like heaven. I cried almost every day in the weeks leading up to my baptism.

Just wondering what you experiences are?

• Vincent
    Vincent

Welcome to the boards! I was a bible student for 7 months with the JW cult, you was right the JW organisation is more about controlling people. I go to a spirtualist church now as I no longer belive the bible when I left the JW organisation due to Emma Gough who died for refusing blood while giving birth to twins she is few years younger than me in her early 20's and I had a brain tumour removed when I heard this I went biszerk, I went through what you went through called a post cult trauma syndrome where u had a lot of voice of chrisitan history and from a lot of study on the JW organisation this takes a while to heal from what they twisted your brain round on. When I went in to church I was very nervous and same goes for the spirtualist church with the brainwashing about its all do with satan, I personally dont think seeing a spirtualist is satan's work. I left the cult in November 07 so I am still recovering. I didnt cry either but my friend Val did as she was an ex mormon. Some of the spiritualist were able to see what was wrong when they read me. To me God is in all of our hearts and does everything to take care of us

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hi Ima, something similar happens to many of us. We are so programmed to view God in some narrow way and see him as an angry punisher such that it is difficult to even speak to Him in an open way when we part. It takes a long time to shake off the programming.

I had that voice you had, that guilt trip for doing (or thinkiing) anything that the JWs would disapprove of. It is quite a bridge to cross! I remember the first time I met with a Christian group in a private home, I was still a Ministerial Servant at the time, I had to sit in the car and calm myself before going in, I was trembling like a leaf.

At the time I did not accept many features of orthodox Christianity, especially the Trinity. I could not intellecually give my assent to it. I had an experience, something that I think God showed me in a moment of meditation and prayer, that convinced me. I believe the Creed. I am not yet baptized and have not taken communion yet however. I am very happy to hear about your journey and your spiritual transformation.

Sincerely,

Burn

• trevor
    trevor
    We are so programmed to view God in some narrow way and see him as an angry punisher such that it is difficult to even speak to Him in an open way when we part. It takes a long time to shake off the programming.

To shake off such programming it is necessary to shake off many passages in the Holy Scriptures that explain the God of the Bible and his propensity to vengeance and punishment.

If we shake off the Bible account of this angry God then his son disappears too and we are left with a Bible that is no longer the Holy word of God. Jehovah's Witnesses have based many of their beliefs on such Bible passages. Modern Christians like to cherry pick the verses that they find acceptable and reject the 'nasty bits.'

To be free such tyranny we need to be intellectually honest and cast the Bible out with the bath water.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    If we shake off the Bible account of this angry God then his son disappears too

You have a Bible-centric view don't you? The Bible isn't the only aspect of Christianity. The Bible account was written from a human perspective. An ancient and more primitve one.

He's still there.

BTS

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev
    Modern Christians like to cherry pick the verses that they find acceptable and reject the 'nasty bits.

Although not a believer I understand that some need to have God in their life. I just hope the new voices you're hearing don't get too loud!!

• trevor
    trevor
    You have a Bible-centric view don't you? The Bible isn't the only aspect of Christianity.

Every Christian church that I have examined bases its beliefs on The Bible. Like them I have yet to find another book that claims to reveal Christ and be inspired. If the Holy Bible is not to be trusted, then what are God and Jesus playing at?

Have you rejected the Holy Bible completely or have vengeful passages been torn out of your sanitised Christian Bible?

For Example:

The God of the Old Testament declares, 'To me belongeth vengeance.' (Deuteronomy 3:35)

This approach to mankind if reaffirmed in The New Testament. ‘In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of out Lord Jesus Christ.’ (2 Thessalonians 1:8)

Jehovah & Jesus appear to be another version of The Kray twins.

trevor

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

i did believe in custom-buildt christianity after stopping believing in the watchtower - for a while. i even said some prayers to jesus. strangely he (just like his father) never responded. so i tried satan, still no luck. which is one of the reasons why i chose to spend my time with more useful things than talking to invisible wizards - and pretty much anything is more useful, even doing nothing at all.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Trevor, yes the Bible is not homogenous. It would seem that you would be more satisfied with an all or nothing stance on Scripture on my part. I prefer to take a more nuanced and sophisticated view, which you seem to think is hipocritical.

The Bible is full of anthropomorphism. Does God actually weep, get jealous, or pound his fists on the arms of his heavenly throne in frustration? God does not become jealous, or angry, or whatever. But the Bible ascribes to God many human emotions such anger, jealousy, regret, etc. This language is analogical. If God were human, this is how he would react. God meets man where he is at, and works with him as he is. Primitive tribal peoples of millenia past were a blunt instrument. we've been polished and sharpened since (well some of us anyway).

The Christian faith is not a religion of a book. Those that make it so misunderstand it. Christianity is the religion of the Word of God, not a written and mute word, but an incarnate and living being. The Bible is about the faith and the revelation, not the faith itself or the revelation itself.
    BTS

• trevor
    trevor

It is true that as you say, ‘The Christian faith is not a religion of a book.’ By The Bible is THE Book upon which Christians place their faith.

If it is just a man made historical account in which God or Christ had no part, we have to ask why they have not come forward and made this clear. Even cheap tabloids publicly correct their mistakes.

To allow millions of sincere Christians to cling to its teachings shows a lack of power, interest and a total abandonment of their duty of care towards their spiritual sons and daughters.

I could claim to be a Moslem who has rejected the Koran as holy and inspired and taken a sophisticated view of its analogical language. The millions of Moslems who would die to defend the Koran would take great exception to my claim and no doubt wish me dead. Such is the mindset of many religious people.

You appear to be a Christian who has rejected God’s Word the Bible. I would imagine that most Christians would take exception to your claim and expect you to be among those enveloped ‘in flaming fire,’ as stated in previously quoted 2 Thessalonians 1:8

As far as I am concerned you are free invent and then adopt any set of beliefs that you find comforting. Free to edit or reject any holy book that you choose to. But why try to muscle in on the Christian lapel badge? Just invent a new badge to go with your beliefs.

Perhaps ‘Liberal Freethinker,’ would be a nice name. Hell, I may even buy a badge off you and wear it with pride myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit