Einstein on God....Rare Letter At Auction

by hillary_step 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

It seems that believers are more in awe of hineystein that nonbelievers. He is trotted up to be the smartest guy on the planet. However, he borrowed e=mc2 from an italian, then his serbian wife helped him make sense of it;) W the jewish marketing machine behind him, he couldn't lose.

S

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    He is trotted up to be the smartest guy on the planet

Forgive me, as I'm now in a deficit on this thread, but my experience is that some of the most intellectual, "smartest" people are also the least wise. Someone with a high IQ once told me that high intelligence is more about the ability to process great amounts of data in a faster speed than others, than it is about having all the answers.

Okay I swear I'll let the grownups talk now.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

AE was a brilliant physicist. A personal hero in many aspects of his life and character. That in itself doesnt make him right about everything as if he were some godmanbraniac. I too have trouble with him being quoted as an authority on everything from biological science to the nature of god.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It sounds like it would be a nice addition to your collection HS.

Maybe you could display it in the same case as your rare "Age of Reason".

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    But Einstein did believe in some super natural intelligence being responsible for the cosmos. Want me to pull out all those Einstein quotes again for you?

Oh, oh please do!

Especially that really juicy part when Einstein said his God was Spinoza's God. And when he did not believe in a personal being that created the Universe. Or all those quotes when he used "God" as a metaphor, like him not playing poker or rolling dice or something.

Einstein was a deist.

BTS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

Maybe you could display it in the same case as your rare "Age of Reason".

A bit too rich for me. It is tax season.

Anyway, the Bloomsbury Book Auctions always make much more on their high end items than they project. I bet this reaches 50K.

HS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    You are not bright enough to note that the reason that I posted this thread was to suggest that anything Einstein may have said about religion is suspect, hence my Marilyn Monroe comment, but no surprises there.

My conclusion was the A.E. had a very nuanced, evolved and evolving view on the Deity.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Sounds like he was a spiritual atheist.

Heh. Reading this thread makes me think that Einstein is a mirror, where every man sees Himself. Verily, Man hath created Einstein in His own image. BTS

• Vinny
    Vinny

More dances with twists and backflips from Hilary.

(((I’m not an atheist.)))) I don’t think I can call myself a pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn’t know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws.”

((((My position concerning God is that of an Agnostic)))). I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment."

Albert Einstein in a letter to M. Berkowitz, October 25, 1950; Einstein Archive 59-215; from Alice Calaprice, ed., The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 2000, p. 216.

From: http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/guestvoices/2007/04/einstein_and_the_mind_of_god.html

atheism |'a?e?iz?m| |?e??i'?z?m| |?e????z(?)m|
    noun
    the theory or belief that God does not exist.

Einstein (((DID NOT))) believe in Atheism. Atheism says that God does (((NOT EXIST))). Wake up Hilary and smell the coffee. Facts are facts. And facts cannot be danced away with flops and twists, try though as you may.

Einstein was not an atheist. His words not mine.

Einstein was agnostic. His words not mine.

Einstsin, not an atheist and being agnostic stated, "God does not play dice with the universe".

Not being an atheist, and being agnostic he believed that some kind of intellectual force was responsible for the things we see today.

TO MANY, THIS IS A "CONVENTIONAL" GOD.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Vinny....

Nah I won't bother.

BTS

EDIT, oh all right,

This is an excellent piece:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1607298,00.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest