Einstein on God....Rare Letter At Auction

by hillary_step 45 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

This rare letter gives us a good insight into the 'religious' views of Einstein, oft quoted by mainstream religionists in the hope that they could glean from him some allusion to his belief in a conventional 'God'.

Why his views on God or even the rear end of Marilyn Monroe would be of much interest has always eluded me, but it is just as well that we all know that Einstein did not believe in any God, at least not in the conventional sense, so that defenders of the Bible and a God free of sociopathy are not tempted to haul His Einsteined Majesty before the Court of Debate again.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080513/Einstein_letter_080513/20080513?hub=SciTech

HS

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

You beat me to it HS -was just about to start a thread on this.

Very interesting reading http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24598856/?GT1=43001

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

Neat-o! If I had 12k to burn, I'd buy it.

• Vinny
    Vinny

Poor Hilary. Is up to his normal nonsense. You guys are a hoot.

This proves nothing of the sort Hilary. Einstein did not believe in a "personal" God. He did not believe in the God of the bible. But Einstein did believe in some super natural intelligence being responsible for the cosmos. Want me to pull out all those Einstein quotes again for you?

Einstein was NOT an atheist, as was quoted in the article, and many articles around today. Einstein said he was not an atheist, not vinny. Get that?

Porr Hilary said:..."but it is just as well that we all know that Einstein did not believe in any God, at least not in the conventional sense"

Einstsin did not believe in any God at all?

Or, Einstein did not believe in any God, at least not in the "conventional" sense?

Big difference Hilary.

Folks, you just gotta love Hilary and his nonsense like this.

Poor Hilary.

• Satanus
    Satanus

"there is some kind of intelligence working its way through nature. But it is certainly not a conventional Christian or Judaic religious view."

Pantheadelic?

S ;)

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Vinny,

I know that you seem to have trouble deciphering the most simple of statements, but I cannot help you with this one as it is so simple that even you should be able to comprehend it. As you do not seem to be able to, I suspect that the reason is that it is your good self who frequently puts Einstein on a pair of rollerskates and pushed him onstage in one of your more ludicrous attempts to prove the existence of your particular notion of God and the validity of 'its' embarrassingly compromised 'Word'.

Einstein did not believe in a 'conventional' idea of God, as I noted. He describes the Bible and its God of theology as childish and the expression and product of human weakness.

Only you could see a bolstering of your own beliefs in his facile and contradictory statements regarding religion and of course. You are not bright enough to note that the reason that I posted this thread was to suggest that anything Einstein may have said about religion is suspect, hence my Marilyn Monroe comment, but no surprises there.

The only thing that we can be sure of is his 'God' is very different from your own, as his his view of the Bible, so perhaps you had better stop using him as an example to fellow Christians lest another letter be discovered that suggests he only talked about God when he needed money for his next project. ;)

HS

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Sounds like he was a spiritual atheist.

• Satanus
    Satanus

'spiritual atheist.'

Like spirits or a spirit, but nothing up to the caliber of godhood? Sounds kinda lika democracy, over there, no rulers/kings/queens ;)

S

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    'spiritual atheist.'

Like spirits or a spirit, but nothing up to the caliber of godhood? Sounds kinda lika democracy, over there, no rulers/kings/queens ;)

S

Kinda.

We don't need a god to know that there is something greater than ourselves out there.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Why his views on God or even the rear end of Marilyn Monroe would be of much interest has always eluded me

I'm glad you put this in your original post, as this was almost my exact thought when I saw the title of your thread (sans Marilyn's excellent posterior).

I don't pretend to have the intellectual input on this thread to equal more than one post (and frankly not even that), so I'll just offer this before I shuffle off this mortal thread:

No one can say with absolute certainty what or who kicked off the universe, nor can anyone say with absolute certainty what happens after death. It is my belief, however, that what we choose to believe about both events says more about us than it does the belief itself. What we choose to do with that knowledge says even more.

Be well,

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit