Is the GB crooked or just misguided?

by easyreader1970 33 Replies latest jw friends

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

"There is a very high degree of arrogance that allows a person to believe that, out of six billion people, God has chosen you to be one of his 14 or 16 or whatever number Governing Body. Wow, how special does that make you?"

This is what I have always felt. A@G your thoughts are right on.

Isaac

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The literature is full of all sorts of manipulative legerdemain and since the GB claims responsibility for it that would make them crooked.

It is likely more complex. In my more cynical moments I picture some cabal compiling a dossier on each Bethelite. Once they have the manila folder with extremely incriminating evidence, where they have you dead to rights, you get to be a GB member. Then you become a front man for the cabal and you obey. Sound silly? Don't be so sure. Getting incorporated and operating at that level means your corporation is authorized by the government and that you will do the bidding of certain factions and powers within government and intelligence circles. The WT is certainly a great ongoing laboratory of how to mold and manipulate a mass of people to adopt the same attitudes and behavior. It is certain that many agencies would be interested in the empirical data generated by this sort of operation as they would be useful to serve their ends. Other corporations would also be interested in the body of knowledge the WT has amassed about building brand loyalty.

Think about it.

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

I'd love to see the inner workings of one of their "secret" 2/3 meetings.

Of course, I'd also love to kick Losch in the balls for trying to ban NFL football, what a JERK!!! He was trying to say that it was a command from god at our DC back when I was a teen.

Frankly, I think they mean well at one point in their lives, then go through a doubtful stage, but then like a stubborn jackass trying to get through an iron gate, they just keep banging their heads, and balking. Then eventually with all that headbanging and balking going on, eventually they get noticed and become a GB member, and then they truly know how crooked things really are.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

I don't think their intentions matter. Hitler was just trying to have a successful Third Reich. Stalin was just trying to make a perfect society.

Doing evil to others often has nothing to do with your own intentions. If I run around lopping the heads off of fat girls who dress like skanks, I'm trying to solve a serious aesthetic problem for all of us, but really, somebody should stop me. Thus through analogy with skanky fat girls, i think we all see that the Goobering Bugers are evil.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

The master did awake one day and after looking out at all his slaves and servants he did realize he had indeed become a rich and powerful man,

a man of privilege and status particulary among the eyes of ordinary men.

Power and corruption always seem to hold hands together, even in the omnipresent world of religion.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

PAPERCLIP

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

For Loubelle:

alt

• lrkr
    lrkr

"Crooked" implies that they know that what they are doing is wrong and they keep doing it- I dont think so. You have to be quite a sociopath to do that successfully (in any field of endeavor).

"Misguided" implies that they are entirely innocent- I don't think you get to that level and remain innocent.

I prefer the term "Deluded" or "Delusional"- they have created a reality in their minds which they reinforce with each other and which is reinforced by the millions of faithful around the globe.

By the way, I would also describe the pope, archbishops, cardinals, etc, etc as similarly deluded. I heard the Dalai Lama speak and he seemed to have a sense that he was not all that people believed him to be- but he does allow millions of followers to believe that he is the reincarnated Bhudda- so maybe he's deluded too.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

There is the fact that the WTS routinely uses unethical journalistic practices in the literature: pulling quotes out of context, using outdated reference material, cherry picking material from sources where they would disagree with a good deal of the rest of the source material and perhaps worst of all, quoting only enough material so that they are quoting a source as saying exactly the opposite of what the source intended.

But I think that is common among JWs in general. When you start with the premise that the Bible and the WTS are RIGHT, then ANY SHRED of material that supports them, no matter how unethically used, is justified.

An example: I had a long discussion once when Fred Rusk was staying at my home on vacation. At the time I didn't understand why (I do NOW!), but Fred gave me a long explanation about how there was this ONE source reference that the WTS was using to support the 607 date. He was obviously well aware that the preponderance of evidence was against that date, but he and the Society were clinging to this one straw in their favor as though it were a life vest.

They feel that the ends justify the means, and thus have no trouble sliding down that slippery slope.

S4

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

I refuse to believe that the GB believe the bull they propogate, that would be like me believing in Santa because I tell my daughter he is real. I reckon that none of them truly believe it all anymore once they reach that heady height but they are in a catch 22, the whole thing is built upon faith and belief, therefore they ALL must act to each other that they believe because not beleiving is apostasy and therefore removal from the position they have invested sooo much energy and time attaining. Never underestimate the thrill and pleasure of being at the top of the tree, achieving your lifes work. Seriously how can they actually believe it when they are sat there changing doctrine, dates and policies on a vote. Can you imagine the conversations circa 1992? "Hmmm end is not here, the generation of 1914 are frickin' dying round our ears...... ok ideas anyone??"

Sheesh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit