What is the dumbest thing you ever did?

by John Doe 45 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

That's a good one. Don't you just hate that feeling of dread waiting to tell someone about your screwups? I never wrecked a car up, but I did mess a tractor up one time.

There was an old sycamore stump that was dead and broken off about 15' up. I was out in the pasture feeding hay, and I decided to push it over to see if I could. Well, this tree was about 3 foot diameter at breast height, and it was not an easy push. I had the loader on the tractor all the way up, and the stinking thing snapped off right below the loader. Luckily, the tree went forward and not back towards me.

However, the tractor lurched forward and what was left of the stump messed the front end of the tractor up. Pushed the fan through the radiator. Of course, I had to take care of it myself, and I didn't get in trouble, but I sure felt silly. I straightened the sheet metal, but had to replace the radiator. That radiator was $800. That was about 15 years ago, and $800 was about 4 weeks pay for me at the time.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

This guy the hubby knows and worked with as a telephone line man replacing poles, this guy was on a severe side hill driving along, he had a pole in the front of the front end loader

going merrily along he decides he will crank the pole higher up unfortunately he is now top heavy because of being on the side hill. The whole tractor starts to

tip and he starts to fall out as the tractor tips and he just manages to duck under a pole wagon as the tractor tips.

He was great big guy he thought he was a tough macho guy red hair red face but when he came out from under the wagon his face was literally white as a ghost.

So the boss says we better take a break collect our nerves. He decided he'd have a smoke his hand was just a trembling could hardly light it. No one

had ever seen him scared that shXtless.

top that!

cheers

• John Doe
    John Doe

I worked at a retail store for a couple of years in my last town. In this retail store, we had what they call reach trucks. Here's a link to a picture of one.

http://www.ise.ncsu.edu/kay/mhetax/TransEq/IndusTr/Images/NA%20Reach%20Truck.gif

One night another couple of guys were unloading plywood onto the shelf. Evidently there were only a couple of pieces on, and one stepped forward to hold the plywood so the reach truck operator could back out. These forklift type trucks have a scissor like mechanism that extents and retracts. Well, the genius holding the plywood had his right arm laying in between the scissors, and he told the other guy to back up, thinking he would back up instead of retracting the forks. Other guy misunderstands, and retracts the forks. He narrowly missed amputating the plywood guy's arm.

I was halfway across the store, and I heard screaming. I came running over, and the guy was on the ground with his arm caught screaming to get it out. The operator had panicked and was running around in circles. There is a joy stick control with about 10 different buttons an directions on it to control this machine. The buttons to extend and retract the forks are on the front of the joystick and it would be easy to get them mixed up while in a pannic. Hit the wrong one, and the guy loses his arm. There was a third guy there who was doing something else, and by the time I got there he had ran up and extended the arms, freeing the guy.

I know the white face of which you speak. I've never seen a 6 foot tall guy so white and shaking so badly. He was sitting there with a shit eating grin on his face, practically drooling and wiggling his fingers, obviously relieved. I would estimate he was trapped for about 30 seconds. He had to go to the hospital and get some stitches, but another half inch and he would have lost his arm. Makes me sick to think about it, but he had violated so many safety standards that he would have had it coming if he'd lost his arm. That was not a fun night.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Here's your picture of the truck

http://www.ise.ncsu.edu/kay/mhetax/TransEq/IndusTr/Images/NA%20Reach%20Truck.gif

Yikes, more like scary than dumb. I could tell you a few fork lift stories from a paramedic but its a little too gory.

hope4others

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Felt bad that I can't think of anything dumb that would be entertaining.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

A while ago, a friend and I befriended boys staying in a group home (criminals) (dumb thing #1). She and I were the only girls and there were about 6-8 of them. We would all hang out at night in the mountains of northeast Pennsylvania (dumb thing #2). This is bobcat land I'm referring to. We would go cowtipping (dumb thing #3).

There are several others but those are the dumbest.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Get married out of high school to someone who didn't have a good job, have kids, go on welfare, didn't go to college first.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Allow the WTS to convince me that Jesus wasn't my mediator.

OK, I wasn't totally convinced, but I went along for harmony's sake.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Smash a church's windows with slingshots in the middle of a service. Including pretty stained ones. Hearing the singing suddenly stop. Watch all the freaked out people run out. Run rooftop to rooftop getting away when the cops came. Spraining my ankle jumping into my aunt's yard from her roof and sneaking in the back door.

My cousin was a bad influence.

BTS

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

What is the dumbest thing I ever did?

Pioneer: So you want a bible study?

Mr Ben: Er... OK

DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit