Dream On, Brother [and Sister], Dream On!!!

by Rapunzel 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

1.) Is any one here capable of remembering his/her dreams?

2.) Does anyone believe that dreams - and the analysis/interpretation of dream - provide a "key" to solve any of life's problems? Can the analysis/interpretation of one's dreams be therapeutic?

3.) Does anyone believe that dreams may "prophetic" in that they are portends of the future?

4.) Has anyone had a dream and then wrote a story (fiction) about it?

5.) Does anyone particularly appreciate the paintings of the Spanish - Catalan painter, Salvador Dali?

6) Has anybody read the poetry of the surrealist poets/authors such as Andre Breton? What do you think of their practice known as "automatic writing"? For anybody who knows about Breton, maybe you will know about le cadavre exquis.

7.) Most people here know about "Freddy" and the Nightmare On Elm Street series. One of the premises is that Freddy can enter people's dreams. One of the results is that this opens up all sorts of possibilities. After all, in dreams anthing can happen. Does anybody like this series.

8) Has anybody read King's novel, Duma Key?

• changeling
    changeling

I love to dream. Look forward to sleep because my dreams are fun. I sometimes remember my dreams. I like Salvador Dali's paintings. To the rest of your questions, my answer is: no.

changeling

• flipper
    flipper

RAPUNZEL- I do remember my dreams often , and yes in regards to connecting to them - it can assist you to see what you have been dealing with in your subconscious mind. I read a book called " Gestalt Therapy Verbatim" , by Frederick Perls a psychologist - and he conducted dreamwork seminars at Esalen Institute in the late 1960's and early 1970's. His theory was that we dream about " unfinished situations " in our lives which remain unsolved. Previous situations and problems to face , which we need to do in the here and now. I tend to agree with that because everything I dream about has usually been about repressed situations which I never got closure on somehow. So, yes, I work at listening to my dreams and try to take lessons from them into my real life ! Good thread

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Yes, I think dreams can help you find solutions and insight into certain things you've been contemplating. Here's a good example:
    Your dreams and quiet moments allow intuition to speak to you

Intuition is well-known for providing people with insight or solutions during altered states of consciousness, such as in the dream state or in meditation.

• A famous example of intuition’s dream work comes from research scientist James Watson. Watson and his partner, Frances Crick, were asking: What is the design of DNA, the chemical foundation for all life?

Watson’s symbolic dream of two intertwined snakes and his correct interpretation of the double helix provided a key to all life. Amazingly, his intuition was so efficient that the double helix was accepted without the verification of one experiment! http://takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/therapies/intuition/how

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

My therapist is having me write down the dreams I remember, so we can discuss them in the last 15 minutes of our session. Dreams tell alot about us and the state of our mind and soul. I put great stock in dreams. I even believe my dad and grandma visited me in my dreams after they died.

The dreams that Rikki and I have discussed have been right on as far as being applicable to my life at the moment.

momz

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

1.) Is any one here capable of remembering his/her dreams? Sometimes. Not too often.

2.) Does anyone believe that dreams - and the analysis/interpretation of dream - provide a "key" to solve any of life's problems? Can the analysis/interpretation of one's dreams be therapeutic? The funny thing is that many would agree on that although disagreeing entirely on the method of analysis/interpretation (e.g. Freud and Jung).

3.) Does anyone believe that dreams may "prophetic" in that they are portends of the future? All Bible believers should.

4.) Has anyone had a dream and then wrote a story (fiction) about it? Not me.

5.) Does anyone particularly appreciate the paintings of the Spanish - Catalan painter, Salvador Dali? I like it. I re-visited the Dalí Museum in Figueres last summer and visited his house in Port Lligat (Catalunya, Spain) for the first time.

6) Has anybody read the poetry of the surrealist poets/authors such as Andre Breton? What do you think of their practice known as "automatic writing"? For anybody who knows about Breton, maybe you will know about le cadavre exquis. The practice of "automatic writing" was widespread in spiritualist circles from the last part of the 19th century, and the (generally materialistic) Surrealist school moved the fashion (or pretended to) in the artistic sphere. Btw, the cadavre exquis is not exactly automatic writing but a sort of collective writing game (everyone in the group adds one word, with a definite syntaxical pattern, without knowing the previous ones).

The rest I have only heard of...

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

1.) Is any one here capable of remembering his/her dreams?

Yes, though not very often. If I wake up during the night (as I often do) I might remember the "current" dream and can sometimes return to it (willingly or no). The most recent fully realized and fully recalled dream from last week was being in a deeply comforting, safe home built into a mountainside. I was experiencing the safety and protection of this home and drinking in the natural elements of the mountain that had been incorporated into it - actually the building was overlaid into the mountain, well integrated into it.

2.) Does anyone believe that dreams - and the analysis/interpretation of dream - provide a "key" to solve any of life's problems? Can the analysis/interpretation of one's dreams be therapeutic?

Yes. Often dreams have provided me a symbolic way of perceiving aspects of my life and sometimes ways to approach situations. Usually in Jungian (archtypal) terms. They can give me insight into what is bugging me when it isn't clear, or provide desired experiences to help me feel whole. They seem to be a conversation between different parts of my mind (sub-conscious and conscious).

3.) Does anyone believe that dreams may "prophetic" in that they are portends of the future?

Only in that they can help piece together parts of a puzzle that do not make it to my conscious mind. This is the same as wakeful extrapolation rather than extra-ordinary prophecy.

4.) Has anyone had a dream and then wrote a story (fiction) about it?

Yes, short fiction. My own efforts have not been particularly successful, though. My more effective art comes during waking states.

5.) Does anyone particularly appreciate the paintings of the Spanish - Catalan painter, Salvador Dali?

I find them intellectually interesting, but not emotionally satisfying. I do understand it, connect with it, see parts of myself that seem to be similar to what might be inspiring him. I find some of his work to be pushing my comfort zone, but most of it just kinda leaves me cold.

6) Has anybody read the poetry of the surrealist poets/authors such as Andre Breton? What do you think of their practice known as "automatic writing"? For anybody who knows about Breton, maybe you will know about le cadavre exquis.

I think Gascoyne qualifies. I like his early work, and see some of my lyrics use a similar simile. I've not read Breton. I think mundane "automatic writing" may be a way to let the subconscious peak through a little bit, introducing that element of near-random connection that sometimes is clearly inspiration come through. I like the tendancy of these works to feel more revealed than created. I am not specifically familier with the surrealist's use of this, though.

7.) Most people here know about "Freddy" and the Nightmare On Elm Street series. One of the premises is that Freddy can enter people's dreams. One of the results is that this opens up all sorts of possibilities. After all, in dreams anthing can happen. Does anybody like this series.

As a rape-myth (violation of our sacred personal space), it becomes horrifyingly fascinating. The first Nightmare was poetic in many ways, and seemed to have something original to say within the confines of its genre. It brings to mind the superstition that not everything can happen in a dream: supposedly you cannot dream your own death (and wake to tell about it).

8) Has anybody read King's novel, Duma Key?

I've not read it, but am familier with the plot. It seems almost Clive Barker in some ways (whom I like a great deal). What do you like about it?

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. The reason why I ask this question is that I had the strangest dream last night. The setting of the dream was not at all especially bizarre or odd. In my dream, I found myself in a supermarket - Carrefour - in Taiwan [This fact is not especially odd in itself because I lived and worked as a professor in Taiwan for about twenty years]. In my dream, I was simply walking in the aisles of a "Carrefour" supermarket in Taiwan [Yes, there are several Carrefours in Taiwan]. In my dream, my sister was walking with me.

What is odd - very odd - was the fact that I told my sister, several times, "Don't take it so seriously. This is only a dream." In my dream, I knew I was dreaming, and announced it! I remember that, oddly enough, the "check-out" person was a black guy. He started writing in Chinese, and I asked him: "Oh! When did you learn to write Chinese?" When I payed my money, and he returned the cash to me, I noticed that the money was American cash. Upon noticing his, I said: "Now I am sure this is a dream because you're giving me my change in American currency, and that could never happen in Taiwan." Finally, I said good-bye to the guy and told him: "It was nice meeting you, even though I know this is just a dream and you're not real!"

In other words, I knew I was dreaming at the same time as being in the dream. This is what was odd about it, not so much the content of the dream.

I just realized that questions 7 and 8 are readily comprehensible only to people in the U.S. Nightmare On Elm Street is a "kitschy" horror-movie series. Although it is kitsch, it does have an interesting premise, as I mentioned. The "villain/monster character can enter into people's dreams, where he wreaks havoc.

Stephen King basically writes horror pulp fiction. The literary value of what he writes is "checkered." Some of his output is pure boiler-plate stuff. However, Duma Key is interesting because King also deals with idea of creativity in the novel. Some of King's novels have been turned into movies - The Shining; It; The Mist; and Christine come to mind.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

yes, I can remember my dreams and yes I have written a story based on a very vivid science fiction dream. Don't like Dali much. Don't like Stephen King either, but I have to say Dolores Clayborne (sp?) is an exceptionally good movie. How much of that is due to Stephen King and how much to Kathy Bates I don't know. Never heard of Duma Key, looked it up on Amazon and read the reviews. Sounds like one of Umberto Ecco's efforts - The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana. Not the plot, but the way the story is told.

I have a couple of questions for you: Are all your questions related somehow or are they just a string of random questions you wanted to ask? If they are related, what's the connection?

edited to add: you were answering my questions at the same time I was writing them!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

We got a Dalli museum here in St Petersburgh. It is supposed to be the largest collection of Dallis works outside of Spain.

He is my favorite artist.

I dont remember my dreams often.

I know if I wrote them down everyday, that would change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit