Really, Are Jehovah's Witnesses THAT Different From The Other Religions?

by minimus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The more I read on this site, the more I see that ALL religions think their version of what is right and wrong is what matters. Some punish you now for disobedience to the church's rules and others supposedly give you your reward in the hereafter.

Some live their lives with more strictness. Others are more liberal.

Look at the Jewish faith. You've got from ultra Orthodox to extreme liberal. And the extremists say ONLY THEIR way is acceptable. Other factions aren't so particular. They are very much like Catholics, in reality.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

well done, grasshoppa

• undercover
    undercover

Depends on what aspect of the religion you're looking at.

The JWs and smaller fundamentalist sects are different in that they try to seperate themselves from normal society. They're more cult than religion. The Mormons are cultish in a lot of their practices, though they don't shun society as much.

But, to me, all religion is superstition. Superstitious belief in a mythical being or beings, superstitious belief that by being in a particular religion and by observing their rituals that somehow you're going to prosper above all other people who don't hold the same superstitions. The history of the world is full of examples.

I'd love to travel into the future 5000 years and see how people then will talk about how their ancestors believed in these mythological creatures much like we look back at the Romans and Greeks now and talk about how they believed in the gods of their time.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The more I read on this site, the more I see that ALL religions think their version of what is right and wrong is what matters. Some punish you now for disobedience to the church's rules and others supposedly give you your reward in the hereafter.

Took you 6 years and 24000 posts to figure that one out?

Look at the Jewish faith. You've got from ultra Orthodox to extreme liberal. And the extremists say ONLY THEIR way is acceptable. Other factions aren't so particular. They are very much like Catholics, in reality.

Sure, when you factor in they all use funny clothes, funny decorations and say funny stuff in other languages, yeah they are all identical. Yeah. I never noticed that before, yeah.

BTS

• minimus
    minimus

Be honest. When you say that JWs are "more cult than religion", is that really true. The Roman Catholic Church is a huge cult, if ever there was one!

• minimus
    minimus

Burn, with over 3500 posts, you think the Catholic Church is ok. Whatever you say, buddy.

• undercover
    undercover
    When you say that JWs are "more cult than religion", is that really true. The Roman Catholic Church is a huge cult, if ever there was one!

Technically speaking, I think all religions are cults. But I was using the word "cult" in an American sense in that they are off-center and anti-social compared to "mainstream" religions.

• minimus
    minimus

My bottom line: I'm no lover of any religion. But JWs aren't so unlike a lot of other religions, really.Religions and sects cause divisions.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Religions and sects cause divisions.

As long as groups of people disagree with each other on anything, there will be divisions.

BTS

• minimus
    minimus

By the way, I want to make it clear that I'm not defending the Witness religion. I lump most all religions in the same way----negatively.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit