God mauls little children with bears. (2 Kings 2:23,24)

by easyreader1970 80 Replies latest watchtower bible

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

Let us reason together SHALL WE?.....Does anything esle need to be said? When reading this account what do YOU come away with? What is the moral of this account? YHWH does almost the same thing here that he does in Kings 2 23. What is the value of this account?

2 Kings 17:24-27 (New International Version)
    New International Version (NIV)

Samaria Resettled
    24 The king of Assyria brought people from Babylon, Cuthah, Avva, Hamath and Sepharvaim and settled them in the towns of Samaria to replace the Israelites. They took over Samaria and lived in its towns. 25 When they first lived there, they did not worship the LORD; so he sent lions among them and they killed some of the people. 26 It was reported to the king of Assyria: "The people you deported and resettled in the towns of Samaria do not know what the god of that country requires. He has sent lions among them, which are killing them off, because the people do not know what he requires."
    27 Then the king of Assyria gave this order: "Have one of the priests you took captive from Samaria go back to live there and teach the people what the god of the land requires."

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

It's too bad that bears today don't come out of the woods to maul kids who wear saggy jeans & ball caps at weird angles.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

So, what should Elisha and Joe Hoover have done about being picked on by these little children?

Why didn't God teach those kids a lesson by instantly providing Elisha with a head full of luxurious hair and all the children became instantly bald? Nobody hurt. Lesson learned.

Sadly, I guess God can't do those kinds of miracles. Too bad.

B the X

• odie67
    odie67

mocking and teasing isnt good....everyday this man walked by my yard and teased and mocked by dog...everyday...well one day my dog jumped the fence and went after him. I was looking out the window and ran out just in time, the only real reason why i ran out was to avoid a suit...the man deserved a good bite on the bum. He was old enough to know better than to taunt an innocent animal.

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

Well, Odie67, I think that guy probably did deserve to get his ass bit ! But, if you had the ability, would you have trasnformed your dog into a bear and tear the guy to pieces ? Look, some people really do need killin', I'm not arguing that.But generally speaking, they have to be pretty bad apples for it to get to that point, such people are a genuine threat to others and have no respect for life and that's one reason why the prisons are busting at the seams.And so in line with that some apolgists have tried to say that these weren't little kids at all but were actually a gang of people the same age as Elisha and represented a genuine threat to those in the surrounding region.Well, if that's really the case, why didn't the real writer of the Bible (God) provide such an explanation ? If He really made us then He knows how we think.The questions we have.The contradictions it creates.To say "just accept it on faith" as a good thing, is simply not good enough.To make an informed decision one must have adequate information.

A good parent before disciplining their child will explain what they're doing and why they're doing it.What the child did to deserve it and how it's supposed to help them.Additionally, the discipline must be in balance with the error or offense.

We have to make a decision on this account based on the presented information.No mention is made of Elisha being in any physical danger.We are told that he was mocked.Their mocking may have been profane, it may have been severely condemnatory or blasphemous against God.They may have been telling him that he was cursed by God and that they wanted him to go into the sky and disappear like Elijah.But, was it really necessary for the God who "everything that is my delight, I'll shall do", to tear to pieces 42 of them ? How about making all of them spontaneously crap their pants ? Or making them fall into a temporary coma ? Or any other number of things ?

Additionally, considering the "fact" that God's own Son suffered far, far worse than Elisha, and having not been granted his request from His own Father to "remove the cup from him", and still that One did NOT call for a curse upon the people, but rather forgiveness, even of an "evil doer" in his final moments.Would you not say that something is very, very wrong with this account and the concept of a loving Creator with unlimited ability ?

Does one believe what they believe because they think it's approved by God ? Or because of that which resides within us provides a moral compass between right and wrong ? We often seek to find justification outside ourselves when in fact we already know the answer.We become a product of our environment, including it's flaws and errors.How many evil acts have been committed because someone justified them by means of "higher thinking" or "enlightenment" ? It's quite amazing how much clearer things become when one removes a preconceived "God" from the picture and just looks at things for what they really are.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

amen!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

amen!

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Just think Belbab -

I don't know if you are yet an ex-JW, but what would you think if a little JW kiddie called at a Clergyman's door, and the Clergyman than called his dogs to savage the poor mite to death for disrespecting him and his God?

What would you think of a Witness who set his dogs on a group of children from the Episcopal Church because they had mocked him when he tried to give them the Wt magazine?

Elijah is portrayed as a powerful prophet, who invoked the attack. 40 kids does NOT a mob make. Ask any schoolteacher. Many work with a class that size, and have NO trouble making them do as they are told. Obviously Elijah had less personal magnetism than a kindergarten teacher, so in a pathetic ruse to force respect he had people's kids savaged alive. What a loving god!!!

I can forgive a cheeky child, God wants to obliterate them. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

personally I think this is just a story to scare little boys into behaving at Schul and not bait the Rabbi.

HB

• BU2B
    BU2B

bump

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit