God mauls little children with bears. (2 Kings 2:23,24)

by easyreader1970 80 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snowbird
    snowbird

This is a difficult passage, but in the spirit of Proverbs 18:13 - which states that you're a fool if you reply to a matter before hearing it - I will keep my own counsel.

Sylvia

• journey-on
    journey-on

Just the pure senselessness of this account tells me this is a STORY like one of those Paul Bunyun tall tales

told to teach something. What that something is, I'm not sure....respect your elders, respect authority, don't

make fun of people for things they can't help (baldness), bad behavior begets bad consequences?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    which states that you're a fool if you reply to a matter before hearing it - I will keep my own counsel.

bible says "all scripture is inspired..... bla bla bla:"

you can't have it both ways.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I found this study humorous as well as interesting: http://www.zianet.com/maxey/reflx129.htm

bible says "all scripture is inspired..... bla bla bla:"

you can't have it both ways.

What I meant, kind sir, is that I wasn't there so I don't know all the circumstances.

I - we - can have it any way we want. It's called free will.

Sylvia

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel
    What I meant, kind sir, is there so I don't know all ththat I wasn't e circumstances

Thats certainly a fine way to respond to this conundrum. Its the same way I would have responded when i was still a JW to a question I couldnt understand. I dont fault you for your reasoning at all. But you have to admit it does READ like fable, myth or story. If we say that we dont know all the circumstances after reading these verses and walk away with an unclear impression AS believers,then it follows that"OUR GOD" has not ensured his Word was made more clearly understood, A great many passages in the Bible are in the category of "I wasnt there I dont know all the circumstances"....lets take for example THE RESSURECTION. I wasnt there and I dont know all the circumstances. Was he really killed, did they really hang him and then take him down , did an angel appear , did he really appear here and there after he died ect ect....I wasnt there I dont know all the circumstances. Based on Christian history and its ever changing styles Im going to go with this is strictly story. UNless of course its proven otherwise.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    If your child stole an apple from you after you warned him not to what would you do? Like any normal parent you would banish him from your house forever to a harsh existence. Then you would kill another one of your children so that the first kids could come home again. Why should it be any different for kids who make fun of bald people? To the bears I say! Sweet justice.

Now we know that people embellish these stories so they can scare other people into submission. And I say, if God is like this, why would anyone want to have anything to do with him? He would just be a great big, bully of a parent, a child murderer. The great thing is about being human, you can filter out the ridiculous things other humans attribute to God. Separate the the obsurd from the sensible.

• snowbird
    snowbird

By all means, suit yourself, Chrisjoel.

Greater minds than mine have grappled with that "conundrum," as you call it.

Yet, I have faith that the Bible - warts and all - is God's message to mankind.

Sylvia

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel
    suit yourself

Are u kidding. I want to believe. I want to know who God is. I want to be his friend. I want to walk with him. I want . i want i want.....But i cant i cant i cant. Im forced by the Bible itself and a silent God into agnosticism. If you know God introduce me in all sincerity.

• booby
    booby

to sylvia

that link is great. But if you think about the complexity to wrap your brain around that one scriptural reference, does that suggest any way that the bible is of use to convey God's info to mankind. You would require everlasting existence of some sort just to get "te message" meant to direct us to salvation by God.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Are u kidding. I want to believe. I want to know who God is. I want to be his friend. I want to walk with him. I want . i want i want.....But i cant i cant i cant.

You can! You can! You can! Read and hearken. From The Message Bible:

Acts 17:22 -23 So Paul took his stand in the open space at the Areopagus and laid it out for them. "It is plain to see that you Athenians take your religion seriously. When I arrived here the other day, I was fascinated with all the shrines I came across. And then I found one inscribed, to the god nobody knows. I'm here to introduce you to this God so you can worship intelligently, know who you're dealing with.

24 -29 "The God who made the world and everything in it, this Master of sky and land, doesn't live in custom-made shrines or need the human race to run errands for him, as if he couldn't take care of himself. He makes the creatures; the creatures don't make him. Starting from scratch, he made the entire human race and made the earth hospitable, with plenty of time and space for living so we could seek after God, and not just grope around in the dark but actually find him. He doesn't play hide-and-seek with us. He's not remote; he's near. We live and move in him, can't get away from him! One of your poets said it well: 'We're the God-created.' Well, if we are the God-created, it doesn't make a lot of sense to think we could hire a sculptor to chisel a god out of stone for us, does it?

30 -31 "God overlooks it as long as you don't know any better—but that time is past. The unknown is now known, and he's calling for a radical life-change. He has set a day when the entire human race will be judged and everything set right. And he has already appointed the judge, confirming him before everyone by raising him from the dead."

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit