God mauls little children with bears. (2 Kings 2:23,24)

by easyreader1970 80 Replies latest watchtower bible

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

And he proceeded to go up from there to Beth´el. As he was going up on the way, there were small boys that came out from the city and began to jeer him and that kept saying to him: "Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!" 24 Finally he turned behind him and saw them and called down evil upon them in the name of Jehovah. Then two she-bears came out from the woods and went tearing to pieces forty-two children of their number.

I will start off by saying that I do not believe that this story is true. Two bears killed forty-two children? The scripture doesn't say how old these children are but think about it. If these were small children, say under the age of 12, then you have to ask yourself: What kind of evil man would Elisha have to have been to use his "connections" with the Yahweh deity to call out bears from the wood and have the children mauled and killed by them. Children tease. That's what they do. I have never met children that didn't.

What if they were older, teenage children? How could two bears kill forty-two of them? You'd think that they would have been bright enough to run away. There's no way two bears could catch and kill forty two children running in all different directions. It doesn't even make sense.

Still, if you are crazy enough to believe the story, the Watchtower teaches that these kids used harsh words that displeased Jehovah. So he killed them. Wow. Further, the Watchtower adds:

Jehovah dealt decisively because of their blatant lack of respect for the channel of communication that he was using on earth at that time.

" ... channel of communication that he was using on earth at that time."

Of course this is supposed to directly mirror the "faithful and discreet slave". Why does every authority figure in the Bible picture the faithful and discreet slave? I am so sick of this sort of mental intimidation that I don't know what to do with myself.

But wait, it gets worse. A 1973 article says:

Similarly, the law of God does not excuse children for lawless acts merely on the basis of their being minors. For instance, when small boys showed gross disrespect for the prophet Elisha, Jehovah God did not spare them from punishment, even though it may have been the attitude of their parents toward Elisha that moved them to do it.

So not only is the Yahweh deity, Jehovah, a bit uncaring when it comes to the lives of children but he kills them even if their minds were seeded by their parents? You congregation members better watch out! If you badmouth an elder, Jehovah might just have your kids mauled!

I'm pissed now.

er

Sorry about the poor formatting. I can't seem to fix it!

• Rivington
    Rivington

might find this interesting: http://www.reachouttrust.org/articles/jw/jwarmag.htm Rivington

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

If your child stole an apple from you after you warned him not to what would you do? Like any normal parent you would banish him from your house forever to a harsh existence. Then you would kill another one of your children so that the first kids could come home again. Why should it be any different for kids who make fun of bald people? To the bears I say! Sweet justice.

• justhuman
    justhuman

You can't tell if this really happened. The Bible contains errors and it was written by imperfect people. But the only good this verse does it to be used form Authoritarian cults like the WT in order to show that we must obey to them totaly.

Otherwise we will have the same end like those "rebelion" kids

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

here's another big GOD the almighty puzzler.

I would lighly spank or punish a child.............. but I would never ever think you doing worse.

I even had a 15 year old once hitting other children, while at the same time cursing me, and running screaming.... and after being frustrated beyond almost blowing my top: the only thing I hid was lightly bitch slap him.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Jehovah dealt decisively because of their blatant lack of respect for the channel of communication that he was using on earth at that time.

" ... channel of communication that he was using on earth at that time."

Of course this is supposed to directly mirror the "faithful and discreet slave". Why does every authority figure in the Bible picture the faithful and discreet slave? I am so sick of this sort of mental intimidation that I don't know what to do with myself.

Man, I know what you mean. One of the last straws for me was the 2001 DC drama, which used a similar scare tactic, only the authority figure was Moses and the disrespecters were Korah, Nadab and Abiram. The drama was such a thinly disguised demand for unquestioning submission and obedience with threats of grave harm if not heeded that it was comical, in a sad way. It was a surreal moment for me, to be standing there after it was over feeling like I had spent the last half hour having a threatening, brass-knuckled fist waved in front of my face, while everyone around me was applauding like always. 'Oh wasn't that a great drama'.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I wish Jehovah would send some bears my way and put me out of my misery already.

Oops.

I forgot.

Jesus is already on the job. (2 Thess. 1:7-9)

• snowbird
  • snowbird
    snowbird

Jesus is already on the job. (2 Thess. 1:7-9)

Yep. Listen to these words of His from The Message Bible:

Revelation 3:19 "The people I love, I call to account—prod and correct and guide so that they'll live at their best. Up on your feet, then! About face! Run after God!

20 -21 "Look at me. I stand at the door. I knock. If you hear me call and open the door, I'll come right in and sit down to supper with you. Conquerors will sit alongside me at the head table, just as I, having conquered, took the place of honor at the side of my Father. That's my gift to the conquerors!

How often did you hear those words extolled from the KH platform?

Sylvia

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

Humm...intresting how the "hard and fast" Christians never make an appearance on threads such as these. I d like to know why. If your reading this ...explain to me how this scripture makes sense to believe in . Explain to me how its WORTH believing in this scripture. Wrap yourhead around a mercyful loving God setting an example for dumb children by KILLING THEM WITH BEARS. Lets see.....if this was myth or folk, then IT would make sense..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit