President Obama and a Democrat Congress Will....

by owenfieldreams 143 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks
    I haven't looked at your charts and graphs thoroughly yet Burn, but I can't help but wonder if the No Child Left Behind Act is part of that education budget increase. This is an old article. We now know that NCLBA is a failure. Oh but not for Neil. Published on Sunday, October 22, 2006 by the Los Angeles Times
    Bush's Family Profits from 'No Child' Act
    by Walter F. Roche Jr.

A company headed by President Bush's brother and partly owned by his parents is benefiting from Republican connections and federal dollars targeted for economically disadvantaged students under the No Child Left Behind Act.

NEIL BUSH: He says Ignite’s growth is not due to political influence. (David Kohl / AP)
    With investments from his parents, George H.W. and Barbara Bush, and other backers, Neil Bush's company, Ignite! Learning, has placed its products in 40 U.S. school districts and now plans to market internationally.

At least 13 U.S. school districts have used federal funds available through the president's signature education reform, the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, to buy Ignite's portable learning centers at $3,800 apiece.

The law provides federal funds to help school districts better serve disadvantaged students and improve their performance, especially in reading and math.

But Ignite does not offer reading instruction, and its math program will not be available until next year.

The federal Department of Education does not monitor individual school district expenditures under the No Child program, but sets guidelines that the states are expected to enforce, spokesman Chad Colby said.

Ignite executive Tom Deliganis said that "some districts seem to feel OK" about using No Child money for the Ignite purchases, "and others do not."

Entire LA Times article here http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/1022-02.htm

• beksbks
    beksbks

Journey,

I really do "love" you all....liberals, conservative, Demos, Rep, and those undecided

but how about this guy? You "love" him too?

a true ill-informed- foaming-at-the-mouth-seeing-one-side-only mouth-off.
  • sammielee24
    sammielee24

1) Raise taxes, and not just capital gains. Income taxes will be raised as well. And if you make more than $200k/yr, you are "rich", and defined as such you will get SOAKED; thus, you will have little incentive to keep earning what you do now,--the opportunity to make a nice profit will simply not be there....And all of us working stiffs fortunate enough to make over $50 k/ yr, you better hold on to your wallets as well... we are going to pay for the social security bailout

Raising taxes by re-writing the tax code - good idea.

2) Nationalize health insurance. We're going to cover EVERYONE, including illegals/immigrants--guess who's going to pay for it? Remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Someone has to pay...It ain't gonna be the super rich, and the poor certainly cannot pay for it. Yup, you're right--those of us in the middle, working class will be footing the bill

Good. Everyone should be covered. If you have a law in place that places a heavy fine on corporations or employers using illegal workers then enforce it or get it off the books. Sure someone has to pay. Big deal. It would cost less in the long run to have nationalized health care than it costs now and your citizens would be healthier for it.

3) Draw down troops and eventually withdraw from all military involvement in the Middle East. The mullahs in Iran are counting the days....They love Obama!

The occupation and it's cost has a direct effect on both the morale and economy of the country. A loss of 4500 American lives, 9 trillion dollar debt, no secure region, displaced Iraqi's - what is to be gained in remaining?

4) pass the "card check" unionization bill--no more secret ballot, as has always been the case up till now in votes, union thugs will be able to intimidate and coerce people into voting for union representation because now they will know which workers are not on the 'list', and thus they can apply pressure and coercion tactics.

Yeah!!!! Yeah!!! Union busting - I believe the US figures are something like 3,500 people who have been fired for even attempting to get a union in place ...and yet we fight for democracy?

5) Want to 'engage' and talk with countries and leaders that openly hate us and show us no respect, like Hugo Chavez, Amejinad(sp?) in Iran, Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe, Bashar Assad in Syria, etc..etc...Bottom line, if he's a dictator, Obama wants to talk, make nice, and negotiate with you.

Respect is usually earned not just given. Perhaps negotiation might be a start - force hasn't been. I'm not even certain that you can say that the country is hated - could it be that the anger is toward the leader and policy? Maybe it will come down to negotiation combined with some ramification for non compliance or even force - who knows?

6) grow government and the welfare state to a size that cannot be even imagined right now. Bush as a republican did a bad enough job enlarging the size of our federal government, under Obama it will exponentially get even bigger.

Governments are voted by the people for the people. Use the government to benefit you. If you don't like what they do - find a way to change it.

7)pass more regulation and red tape to hamstring business in the name of 'helping the workers'--which in turn will only drive away investment and jobs...

Yeah!!!! Regulation. I love that word. Deregulation is in large part why you ended up with the banking mess. Deregulation has created monopolies who own the government - break them up and drive the prices down. Deregulation in the markets is why your commodities are spiraling out of control as investors bid and keep the prices high. I say go back to regulating it all and start over....

Roosevelt didn't have all the answers but thanks to his efforts, the middle class was able to grow into a secure, healthy population - quite unlike the shadow of middle class that exists today - and while they are at it - regulate the credit card industry and banking industry to halt criminal interest rates and service charges....

brought Roosevelt to the nation's highest office. Over the next seven years, he worked tirelessly to promote social and governmental reform, often relying on his executive authority to implement programs that would have been rejected by the conservative forces that controlled Congress. He revived the Sherman Anti-Trust Act of 1890 to break up some of the country's biggest corporations and restore competition to the business world. Later, he secured passage of federal regulations to control railroad rates and to set quality standards for foods and drugs. In foreigh affairs, he extended the Monroe Doctrine by asserting the United States' exclusive right to police international relations in the Western Hemisphere. He also precipitated a revolution that separated Panama from Columbia and cleared the way for construction of the Panama Canal.

Democrats!! Go Dems! sammieswife.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Sammieswife, you make many good points.

I liked the last one about Teddy Roosevelt and his progressive ideas that brought America into the 20th century. Actually, wasn't he a Republican? Good ideas can come from either party. I do wish more Republicans and Democrats these days were like Teddy.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Gopher, Teddy was the last of the good ones.

THE ROUGH RIDER TAKES ON THE ROBBER BARONS

"We Republicans [must] hold the just balance and set ourselves as resolutely against improper corporate influence on the one hand as against demagogy and mob rule on the other."
    Theodore Roosevelt
    The former president began to speak with a bullet lodged in his chest.

Less than five minutes before, a deranged gunman had shot Theodore Roosevelt at close range as he walked to give a speech on behalf of his bid to recapture the White House in 1912 as a Progressive. Aides insisted that Roosevelt head straight to the hospital, but flush with a sense of destiny, the old lion refused. He would not retreat; he would give this speech if it killed him. With the blood spreading against his white shirt, he began:

I have altogether too important things to think of to feel any concern over my own death. . . . I am ahead of the game anyway. No man has had a happier life than I have led. . . .

This effort to assassinate me emphasizes to a peculiar degree the need for the Progressive movement . . . every good citizen ought to do everything in his or her power to prevent the coming of the day when we shall see in this country two recognized creeds fighting one another, when we shall see the creed of the "Have-nots" arraigned against the creed of the "Haves" . . .

My appeal for organized labor is two-fold; to the outsider and the capitalist I make my appeal to treat the laborer fairly . . . That is one-half appeal that I make. Now, the other half is to the labor man himself. My appeal to him is to remember that as he wants justice, so he must do justice.

The rest of the article here http://www.independentnation.org/theodore_roosevelt.htm

• beksbks
    beksbks

Go Sammieswife!

Hey girl, don't you think it's time you had an identity beyond that of your husbands wife?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The future doesnt look promising. The next democrat president will have been Bushwacked and have a mess to deal with.

If McCain wins he will be Bush.5

Bush was not a conservative he spent out the ying yang. He just doesnt have the balls to tax for his spending which bankrupts Amerika.

He shouldnt have allowed us to be attacked and he shouldnt have gone chasing the boogie man.

Before we were attacked he had a deplorable record of spending time doing presidential things like protecting the national security his number 1 job and priority.

He spent more time on vacation than anyone since his fellow Bushwacker father was in office.

It's obvious he wasnt protecting national security on the golf course.

What are we doing in Iraq if Osama Bin Ladin was responsible for 911.

All information indicates that Sadam Hussien and Bin Ladin were Adversaries.

What ever happened to the war on terror and capturing Bin Ladin.

Do you have a 2 week memory like Bush and all the politicians figure?

In my opinion we have 3 bad choices for president.

McCain being the baddest in a way that is not good.

Clinton is too dingy and puts her foot in her mouth too often and even if you discont that, it doesnt appear that she is going to win the primary.

Which leaves us Obama vs McCain.

Where bank rupt sliding into a depression now with Bush and McCanin is going to go full tilt behind Bush. McCain is Bush point 5.

The Bush family came up with the great Nafta plan which sucked all of the jobs out of the US.

Which is why we are in a recession now. You cant run a country when you dont produce anything.

If all of the jobs are service jobs, you have no one to tax. Because no one is making anything.

Servants serve workers, producers. It doesnt work everyone being a server.

If countries could be prosperous selling insurance and service, Africa would not be a third world country.

America used to make things cars, tractors, trucks, tools, musical instruments, televisions, airplanes, refrigerators. computers. Boat motors. All that stuff has gone out of the country.

We have a country of scam artist trying to scam other scam artist. Kind of like Nigeria and all the desperate e mails they send out to get their millions out of Nigeria into your bank account.

Telemarketing and boiler rooms the new american business model.

Telemarketing the new growth industry.

And to top that off the government has come up with a do not call at home list of numbers to stiffle our new growth industry of tele marketing and they wonder why we are in a recession.

They dont wonder. They manipulated it.

• passive suicide
    passive suicide

Well my friend............................... I can't possibly see how taxes can be raised even more.......... bravo for universal health care.... it's about frikkin time.... We should have NEVER been in the middle east.....what do you think all your taxes are paying for RIGHT NOW? Workers need a boost.... I must say I would prefer a FLAT TAX with minimal paperwork....mostly on purchased goods....that way EVERYONE PAYS!!!! Rich, and illegal! I think you are a large bizz owner who has a lot ta lose to a pres. that wants to level the playing field, and take out the special interest groups who are profiting from the war, gas, health care hmo's, and a very low minimum wage........ bastard comes to mind..... or republican...either one.

• exjdub
    exjdub

I know that the Republican and Conservative folks like that Jesus fella a lot, but please attribute profound quotes to the right person:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
    Lao Tzu

Besides, Jesus was the first proponent of welfare...he divided up the fish and the loaves and handed them out to people that didn't have any food until there was a surplus. He also was a proponent of universal health care with all that healing going on. Those two issues alone should make all the Republicans cut and run, not embrace him! If Jesus was around now trying to help the people like he supposedly did when he was alive, all the Republicans would have raced the Romans to crucify him!

exjdub

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

5) Want to 'engage' and talk with countries and leaders that openly hate us and show us no respect, like Hugo Chavez, Amejinad(sp?) in Iran, Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe, Bashar Assad in Syria, etc..etc...Bottom line, if he's a dictator, Obama wants to talk, make nice, and negotiate with you.

Respect is usually earned not just given. Perhaps negotiation might be a start - force hasn't been. I'm not even certain that you can say that the country is hated - could it be that the anger is toward the leader and policy? Maybe it will come down to negotiation combined with some ramification for non compliance or even force - who knows?

Respect is earned--but not by jaw-jaw. Teddy Roosevelt, apparenly a darling on this thread (and for good reason) coined the phrase "speak softly but carry a big stick".

Obama needs a history lesson:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/05/obama_needs_to_study_history_b.html

Iran now rules Lebanon.

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2008/05/lebanon-needs-u.html

According to Obama, it is because Bush wouldn't "talk" to the people who have just overthrown an elected government.

Why should we expect Obama to know that there are only 50 states? He does not like America, his wife has never been proud of America, he believes that America is filled with ignorant yahoos who stupidly cling to their stupid religion and dangerous guns and hate anyone who isn't like them.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit