Latest Witness comments about no more Bookstudy- Rejoicing and happy????

by Witness 007 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Moxie
    Moxie

My parents just got back from a long vacation in Hawaii. So it was at the Lanaii City congregation that they heard the news. When my parents got back, my dad phoned me to see how I was doing, this is not uncommon, he'll usually make a "shepherding call" ever few months anyways. His words were "well I uh just phoned to make sure that you are well. So I have to go now." I realized that even for him he was behaving extremely distant, he's an elder so he will often give me news about how near the end of the system is. But this call was cold, shallow and brief... it seemed as though he was calling out of duty and nothing more. Anyway before he hung up I said to him, "so I hear the bookstudy is being cancelled". His comment was "Yes, I have to go." and he hung up. The interesting thing is that I previously heard from my Aunt (who was also with them in hawaii; she's not a witness) and she said that they were going on and on about how near the end of the system is because the society is making these changes. She said they were extremely excited and carried on about it for some time.

So what do I gather from all this... the witnesses, my parents included are bucking up, getting ready for the great big tribulation. No more bending the rules. Contact with a df'd person only out of strict duty, nothing futher at all. I bet that you will see a lot of witnesses in the short term really spending a lot of hours in the service, never missing a meeting, dropping out of college, and following all the rules. Because if they cancelled the bookstudy that means armageddon is almost here! Superb logic...

I know this post is a little catty but it just pisses me off.

Moxie

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

We don't have to go to the meetings !

We want to go to the meetings !!!!!!!!!!

umm, we are umm canceling the book study night .

Yahooooooo party time !!!!!!

• Gordy
    Gordy

I received an e-mail from a fading JW (used to be an Elder). They were having a vist from the CO also at the time. In speaking to him the CO said that the reason for the change in meetings, was that after the child abuse cases they settled. It was found that the WT could be held responsible for anything that happens in a home were a WT authorised meeting is held.

Whether that COs view is true or not who can say. The JWs have a knack of making up reasons why something happens.

• lrkr
    lrkr

Now that seems like a realistic reason. We have known for years that the legal department has the real power at bethel. I knew it couldn't be that the GB actually cared about people having to use their gas. And my pet theory- that it is for "message control" is true- but I don't think that the GB actually worries too much about that.

The lawyers at Patterson- bingo. I think we have a winner.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I can't help but feel that they've made a huge mistake.

A feature of the early christian church was that they met in private homes. The modern-day churches seem to recognise that by encouraging their members to meet in "cell groups" for Bible study. Indeed, this is the case in the church I attend. It's recognised that small groups actually strengthen the whole church body.

The Borg seems to increasingly be looking to assemble in larger and larger gatherings. Yeah, I know it's all about control. Still, I can't help but feel they've picked on the wrong gathering to eliminate.

Funny how I'd conducted group Bible studies in the Borg for decades and now find myself leading a Bible study group in a church! Funny old world, ain't it?

Of course the difference is that we do actually study the Bible and not a book.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    They might be happy now. Just wait until the Kingdumb Misery with the article about making it an evening for field circus comes out and is discussed at their local Kingdumb Hell. I wonder how relieved they are going to be then

I think it's a hell of a lot harder to get people to comply with field service commands. Field service is a choice and I preferred doing it informally. They would never have pressured me to drag my children out at night for field service. It was hard enough just going to the meetings.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Has the letter been scanned? If not, here it is.
    alt

alt

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

thanks Doom Voyager - saved it, you never know when it may be useful.

Reaction? The dubs i know are still in shock . Nobody believes the lame reasoning of the letter "They must know something" is the common thinking. The sincere ones will miss the study, the "weaker ones" will be glad for a night off.

I think Ozziepost is right, I see it as big mistake..They won't do extra study on a Tuesday , they will watch telly, go shopping , work overtime or go to night school ..sounds good...

• jeanV
    jeanV

Reaction? The dubs i know are still in shock . Nobody believes the lame reasoning of the letter "They must know something" is the common thinking. The sincere ones will miss the study, the "weaker ones" will be glad for a night off.

I think Ozziepost is right, I see it as big mistake..They won't do extra study on a Tuesday , they will watch telly, go shopping , work overtime or go to night school ..sounds good...

agreed 100%

• jeanV
    jeanV
    Officially, it is not permissible to count time at either of these meetings..

as far as I know PT time can be counted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit