Atheist need to start fighting fire with fire LITERALY

by 5go 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 5go
    5go

I was watching some program on the inquisition. You know that thing Christianity would love for you to forget happened.

When the court system of Rome failed the christian courts took over they instituted trial by ordeal.

Simply put any accused of a crime would be tortured tested to see if they were innocent by many forms of painful test to see if god would come to the accused's defence. If they were innocent then no harm would happen to them because of their faith, of course pretty much 100% of the time they were hurt an were summarily executed punished with all the love of Jesus in mind.

Atheist should due the same accuse all of Christians of crimes and force them into trial by ordeal to prove their innocence and backed by god. Which of course most of the idiotic faithful Christians will do it just to prove atheist wrong for once and show they have true faith in Jesus.

Then hopefully after they have recovered from what ever test they received with their ego in check understand why facts not faith are proof of what is real in this world we live in. Also maybe then we might finally put religion behind us in the west.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I am, as I say "currently an atheist", pending evidence of the contrary. I do not agree with 'militant atheists'. Atheists should fight for their right to speak their mind in society, but other than that, it's more important to fight for proper education in schools. As long as people really learn about science and pseudo-science and what the difference is, and how to discern between the two on their own, I'm not going to stop them from believing in something supernatural. Most likely many would eventually stop believing because of that education, but many would not, and I don't see the conflict. It's important that fundamentalism from any camp does not adversely affect the lives of others. As an atheist, one has to acknowledge that this life is all there is, so if some people feel they have a better life believing something maybe even they themselves suspect is not real, I wouldn't stop them, unless it included beliefs that would impede on my (and others') freedom. There are some prominent, actual scientists who are still theists, like for instance Kenneth Miller. It's a choice he's made, and it's not for lack of information or education or intelligence. But he's also not a fundamentalist in any way.

So - instead of torture, we need to give people proper scientific education, and let them reach their own conclusions based on that. It's perhaps easier for the likes of me because I've grown up with creationism and know what it's about and what it's arguments and agenda and "work ethics" are, and how they do not hold up to true scientific scrutiny and thought. People should see both sides properly though and decide. Not all would fall down on the side of mainstream science, some would choose not to pretty much "out of spite" or to 'be special', or because they're afraid of "dogmatism of the majority view" (which in itself would be a misunderstanding of proper scientific thought and processes). But it is my hope at least, that when properly presented with science, people would side with that. And even if that wouldn't mean they'd become atheists, it would be enough for me personally, that they at least would know how the world works according to our most current understanding.

"What the world needs now - - is education, sweet education. That's the only thing - - that there's just too little of."

• avishai
    avishai

Oh, gee, torture people because they don't agree with you. Nice. 5go, you're farther off the deep end than i thought, wow. So,you have a problem with people talking trash about muslims, but you want to torture christians for their beliefs?

• parakeet
    parakeet

5go wrote: "Atheist should due the same accuse all of Christians of crimes and force them into trial by ordeal to prove their innocence and backed by god. Which of course most of the idiotic faithful Christians will do it just to prove atheist wrong for once and show they have true faith in Jesus."

Besides, torturing Christians has already been tried (the lions and the Romans, remember your history?) and found to be ineffective in changing an individual's beliefs.

parakeet, of the compassionate-atheist class

• Gopher
    Gopher

The Inquisition was a horrible chapter in Christian history.

Thankfully Western Europe has become quite secular in the twentieth century, and here in America there is (at least in theory) a constitutional separation of church and state. I think it's up to governments to reign in abusive religions. That shouldn't be the atheist's work.

In fact, atheist simply means one who doesn't believe in the deities that mankind has described or created. It's a resistance to superstitious ideas ruling one's life. Atheism is not about trying to wipe out people's rights to practice their religion. (As an atheist I live and let live in regard to people and their belief systems, unless such beliefs interfere with human rights. But again, if human rights are involved, it's up to the government to impose justice.)

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

First of all, Christians outnumber atheist by about 5 to 1 so chances of us overtaking and overpowering them are slim to none.

Secondly, didn't your mother ever teach you that two wrongs don't make a right?

Thirdly, even if two wrongs did make a right, maybe the ancestors of the Christians you torture today were some of the victims of the inquisition, and maybe some of the torturers were your ancestors. Or maybe your ancestors were slave owners. Who knows? Perhaps it would make more sense for us to torture you for their sins. Or torture your children for stuff you do wrong after your dead. Would that be OK with you? Didn't think so.

Last, but not least, the faith of Christians is not nearly as idiotic as your post was!

Cog

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Yes let's start torturing people you don't agree with.

Dysfunctional.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    No group consists entirely of decent or indecent people. In this sense, no group is of "pure race" - Victor Frankl
  • Mary
    Mary
    5go said: Atheist should due the same accuse all of Christians of crimes and force them into trial by ordeal to prove their innocence and backed by god. Which of course most of the idiotic faithful Christians will do it just to prove atheist wrong for once and show they have true faith in Jesus.

Jesus H. Christ......Are you proposing that Christians once again be put through an Inquisition, including mental and physical torture because they don't agree with your particular beliefs? Are you really this full of hatred for your fellow man?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I was answering a multiple choice about suchlike stuff and realised how skewed they can become.

The question said - if you knew someone was witholding info about a catastrophic event due to take place, would torture be acceptable to save the lives of innocents?

The question is almost rhetorical!

If you knew they knew it would be pretty nasty but necessary to gain information to save innocents, but the reality often is not so clear cut. Many are suspected of this or that and treated as such when in fact they may be wholly innocent.

This is the ballpark.

And those who 'suspect' may well be far more dysfunctional souls than those they interogate but with a license to do so.

Is there an answer - I don't think so!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit